2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 03:58 PM)
Derrick gets even more dominant,

Prior to the ACL tear I think most Bulls fans were more willing to be patient and conservative because you felt Rose would keep getting better.

After the injury I just have to be more realistic. It would be amazing if Rose gets back to 100%, let alone gets better.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 04:00 PM)
If you pin your hopes on trading for a superstar, that window hasn't closed for us yet. Our most attractive trade pieces (Deng and Noah) are still on bargain contracts and performing at a level that makes them appealing, and will do so for the foreseeable future.

Lets not get crazy here, both of these players are on big contracts and both of these players are also very injury prone

Lets not get crazy here, both of these players are on big contracts and both of these players are also very injury prone

More injury prone than Brook Lopez? That dude just got a 61 million dollar contract in this market.

I mean lets not kid OURSELVES here, players get overpaid on a routine basis. Deng and Noah are good enough players where they would likely receive even bigger contracts than they're signed for now out there.

if these contracts are so bad, why does every team want these guys? Nobody is banging down our door asking us for Carlos Boozer. Deng, Noah, Taj, Asik...these are the guys that interest teams.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 04:05 PM)
More injury prone than Brook Lopez? That dude just got a 61 million dollar contract in this market.

I mean lets not kid OURSELVES here, players get overpaid on a routine basis. Deng and Noah are good enough players where they would likely receive even bigger contracts than they're signed for now out there.

if these contracts are so bad, why does every team want these guys? Nobody is banging down our door asking us for Carlos Boozer. Deng, Noah, Taj, Asik...these are the guys that interest teams.

Yes. Before the past two seasons, everyone on this thread was ready to strap Deng to the next train out of town. Noah has certainly spent plenty of time on the injured list himself, specifically 2 of the past 3 seasons going into the playoffs

And one player getting a bad contract doesnt mean the other contracts automatically become bargains

Well, I think they are bargains, and regardless if you don't think Deng and Noah are our trade pieces then you must agree we don't have any trade pieces at all, so trading for a superstar becomes moot.

Noah is probably a slight bargain based on market conditions for a center. Deng, absolutely not. AT BEST he's paid fairly, probably leaning more towards overpaid (especially if his wrist continues to be an issue).

Edited by ZoomSlowik

That's the thing. I don't think GMs trading stars really want fair value back in terms of talent. They want cap space and lottery picks. So I don't think Deng/Noah/Etc are very valuable yet in trading for a superstar. It's hard to trade players in their second contract for upgrades.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 04:17 PM)
That's the thing. I don't think GMs trading stars really want fair value back in terms of talent. They want cap space and lottery picks. So I don't think Deng/Noah/Etc are very valuable yet in trading for a superstar. It's hard to trade players in their second contract for upgrades.

While this is true, there are certainly worse players you could be forced to swallow in order to match salaries in a trade (see Brook Lopez).

Let's see if Luol Deng is overpaid. I've compiled a list of the top 8 SFs in the league, of which Deng is one. We're going to add up the numbers of these contracts on a per year basis and divide by 8 to determine the average.

Lebron James: $17.5

Kevin Durant: $16.6

Carmelo Anthony: $19.4

Paul Pierce: $16.8

Danny Granger: $13

Rudy Gay: $16.5

Andre Iguadala: $14.7

Luol Deng: $13.3

Point is, Deng is on the low end of this spectrum. His contract is not overpriced, if anything it's under priced.

Edited by RZZZA

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 04:21 PM)
Let's see if Luol Deng is overpaid. I've compiled a list of the top 8 SFs in the league, of which Deng is one. We're going to add up the numbers of these contracts on a per year basis and divide by 8 to determine the average.

Lebron James: $17.5

Kevin Durant: $16.6

Carmelo Anthony: $19.4

Paul Pierce: $16.8

Danny Granger: $13

Rudy Gay: $16.5

Andre Iguadala: $14.7

Luol Deng: $13.3

Point is, Deng is on the low end of this spectrum. His contract is not overpriced, if anything it's under priced.

Why would you take the top-8? The salaries of those top-4 aren't remotely relevant since they're all quite a bit better than Deng. You need to start at the Granger/Gay/Iggy area (who most would still probably consider better than him) and go down to get a relevant range.

It's also an extremely arbitrary list since Deng was actually 22nd at the position in PER this year and 14th in PER last year. You really need to include guys like Gallinari, Wallace, Marion and Dudley since they all finished with a higher PER each of the last two years. Guys like Batum and Wright are fairly relevant too since they're in basically the same tier.

Of course the problem with that is that when I include all of them, Deng's salary looks a fair amount higher. While he's decidely better than a couple of them, he's not better than all of them.

At $10 mil or less, you could legitimately argue he might be a bargain. In the $13-$14 mil range, it's a stretch. It's not like he's posting a 20 PER at that price, he's hovering between 14 and 16 the last three years.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I took the top 8 because Deng is a top 8 SF. I meant to take the top 10 originally but...I didn't know who to list after the number 8 mark. There's a bunch of guys you could put there and make an argument for.

What are the odds the Magic would consider Noah, Korver, the Bobcats pick, and a couple future 1st round picks for Dwight? I think that's a better package than what NJ was offering and if Dwight is unwilling to sign an extension, how much can the Magic really expect to get for him? They'd be getting one of the better centers in the league (with ties to Florida), a $5 million expiring contract, one extremely high upside pick, and a couple fluff picks. If necessary, they could move Noah in a separate deal for picks and/or young players. I think there's some logic to it for them.

If I'm GarPax, I'd be willing to trade Noah and the Bobcats pick and risk losing Dwight for nothing. Worst case scenario is we gain some future cap space. Best case scenario he enjoys his time here and resigns with us. The middle ground is we control his bird rights and assist in a sign and trade that recoups some value. No matter how it would play out with Dwight, we'd still be able to amnesty Boozer and allow Deng's contract to expire to clear addional cap space to go after a second star in two years. Plus we'd still have Mirotic, Gibson, and Asik under our control or would have received other valuable assets for them. I just don't see too much downside with such a deal.

Houston amnestied Luis Scola, which is excellent news for Orlando.

They would now have the cap room to offer max deals to Howard and CP3 if they wanted to.

A package of Kevin Martin, 2/3 1st rounders they just drafted, Toronto's protected 1st rounder, another lottery protected first from another team (can't remember who) and future 1st's from HOU should be good enough for both sides IMO.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 09:23 AM)
Except Dwight has made no indication that he's willing to sign an extension in Houston.

Yes, but if he doesn't get traded to Brooklyn, going to be very hard for him to sign there unless the team he's on is willing to do a sign and trade for Brook Lopez.

I think if CP3 was willing to come over, he'd stay in Houston, but that's an IF at this stage.

At least Houston can take back a bad contract now also with Scola's deal not in the cap, although it would probably affect them being able to offer 2 max deals potentially.

@WojYahooNBA: EuroCup MVP Patrick Beverley is working out for Chicago in mini-camp, a candidate to fill a Bulls guard spot off bench, source tells Y!

"Patrick Beverley is working out for the Bulls during the camp but won't play summer league for them and could draw an offer next week." KC Johnson

Patrick "Pat" Beverley, the Euroleague MVP. Many consider this kid to be the Derrick Rose of Euroleague basketball. He has a nasty crossover and is very explosive when he attacks the rim, also similar to his former teammate Dwayne Wade. These are a few of his pick and roll plays.

Boy, it sure seems like Bulls are targeting with the idea of ballhandling, playmaking, youth and athleticism in mind. I'm so glad for this. There's a large athleticism gap between us and teams like the Heat or Thunder.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 10:56 PM)

Boy, it sure seems like Bulls are targeting with the idea of ballhandling, playmaking, youth and athleticism in mind. I'm so glad for this. There's a large athleticism gap between us and teams like the Heat or Thunder.

Hard for me to get excited about a 6'1" 185 lb player that hasnt even sniffed the NBA.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 09:07 AM)
If he was that good, he wouldn't still be across the pond.

To be fair though...even if he wasn't the greatest PG ever, Jeremy Lin did float around without a chance for some time, including being waived by the Rockets and Warrios.