2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 12:01 PM)
The Bulls are like a wounded animal, still dangerous if you get too close, but you feel pity for it and wish someone would just take it out back and shoot it.

This is perfect.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 31, 2013 -> 06:15 PM)
If Rose saw the Louisville-Duke game, how would he react to Kevin Ware's injury

Dude, Rose already retired back in February. We are now in the post-Rose era.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 07:59 AM)
For the first time in NBA history the league will have zero 20 point 10 rebound players. Tim Duncan is the only player averaging 20 and 10 per 36 apparently (and he's 36). Kind of crazy.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 11:58 AM)
Obviously this is a category that quality big men own. For those who believe that humans have evolved over the last 30 years and endlessly spout off the mantra "bigger, stronger, faster!", I ask...where are the 7"0 freaks of nature??? Shouldn't we be having more of those than less? No one has come up with an answer. The last player who fits that description was drafted in '92.

LBJ and KD, who aren't big men but rather big for their positions, are outliers.

Kevin Love -injured

Dwight Howard - injured/disinterested

Andrew Bynum - bigger vagina than Rose

That's three guys right there that would easily be 20-10 if healthy.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 12:08 PM)
Kevin Love -injured

Yeah, it was just a rough season for the league's best big men.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 09:45 AM)
So nobody really talked about the Heat beating the Spurs on the road without James, Wade, and Chalmers. Look at that starting 5 around Bosh. Rashard Lewis, Mike Miller, Norris Cole, and Udonis Haslem? Gross.

I remember a few pages back some people were completely underselling Bosh's value and basically said that Lebron would still win even if he was still with the Cavs. I think Sunday is a pretty good indicator of how valuable Bosh still is (he's just the third option now) and how good the Heat play defense as a team. 86 points to the Spurs in San Antonio is pretty damn impressive.

My takeaway from that game was that Stern is a f***ing clown.

He has a big p**** fit and fines San Antonio $250k for giving his guys a rest, Miami does more or less the exact same thing (except more "officially" or "by the book," Popovich should have claimed they had minor injuries) and no fine. Either fine Miami, or give San Antonio its money back, or it looks like favoritism, no way around it.

Kevin Love -injured

Is Blake 7"? If he is, he should be on that list.

I think, given the various statements made by Rose (through his "people"), if interpreted at face value the ad nauseam repeated phrase "Rose will come back when he's ready" can be revised to "Rose will come back when he feels it is worth his time to do so"

He could actually still have all the goodwill and virtually unlimited support he used to have, but he's handled this SO poorly and the irony is that it all went downhill when they green-lighted him for a fluff piece in national media in which he said nothing meaningful.

Kevin Love -injured

It's still the first time in HISTORY. I guess there weren't injury problems to big men in previous years. I don't know how Dwight Howard being disinterested is a valid excuse, btw.

Also, show me when Andrew Bynum has been healthy for a full season (so he shouldn't even be listed here like the injury is rare) and has averaged 20-10. Please and thank you.

Kevin Love -injured

I think his knees are just legitimately f***ed up. He has had problems pretty much his entire career.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 11:08 AM)
Kevin Love -injured

I get that but those guys wouldn't sniff top 5 quality big men in other eras though. All I'm saying is that we should have a plethora of quality big men if athletes are in fact much bigger faster and stronger...there wouldn't be any room for Chris Paul and Tony Parker if that were true, IMO.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 12:14 PM)
It's still the first time in HISTORY. I guess there weren't injury problems to big men in previous years. I don't know how Dwight Howard being disinterested is a valid excuse, btw.

Also, show me when Andrew Bynum has been healthy for a full season (so he shouldn't even be listed here like the injury is rare) and has averaged 20-10. Please and thank you.

Dwight has been 20/10 every year save one the last 5 coming into this year. Even if you dismiss the fact that he doesn't really want to be a Laker, the guy is not even a year removed from major back surgery. Yes, Bynum is always hurt. True. And that's the only thing that's held him back. He did nearly 19 and 11 last year with Kobe taking 25 shots a game. But stop frontin'. Your motive here is clear. "See, I told you guys everything was better in the 90's."

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 12:18 PM)
I get that but those guys wouldn't sniff top 5 quality big men in other eras though. All I'm saying is that we should have a plethora of quality big men if athletes are in fact much bigger faster and stronger...there wouldn't be any room for Chris Paul and Tony Parker if that were true, IMO.

aw_jeez_not_this_sh_t_again.jpg

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 12:18 PM)

Sorry, it's a different game now. Centers aren't allowed to just camp out in the paint and block shots (Mutombo/Eaton). A big now has to be almost agile/athletic as a wing to get by today.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:25 PM)
Sorry, it's a different game now. Centers aren't allowed to just camp out in the paint and block shots (Mutombo/Eaton). A big now has to be almost agile/athletic as a wing to get by today.

Still, particularly when you throw in the presence of the international game, it seems like there ought to be more guys who get into the league and hold spots on the bench just by virtue of being tall. Aaron Gray still gets 10 minutes per game, for crying out loud.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:25 PM)

I think people really get hung up on what you said. And from there we have the never-ending (and pretty stupid) debate about a "true PG" and people lamenting how there are no more decent centers. The game isn't really better, or worse - it was gradually changed, to a more aesthetically pleasing style than fans wanted to see. It's just different.

It's somewhat ironic that the 90s Bulls were the prototype for that, too. Jordan and his play style used to be one-of-a-kind and before him, you didn't win without dominant bigs. The Bulls didn't have that but obviously Jordan was exciting to watch and sold lots of tickets and got lots of ratings, and he set a new precedent. So they started changing the rules so more players could play like that. Small forwards didn't slash through the paint the way LeBron does now. Not because they couldn't, it just wasn't possible to do. You can't defend like that anymore. Now the offense is more open and free-flowing.

There's still physical play, it's just not bodies packed together anymore, and some fouls they used to do in the 90s that were just hard fouls are flagrant 1's now. It's ironic that PAT f***ING RILEY of all people complained about his star player getting fouled hard.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 11:25 AM)

Prime KAJ would demolish the league today, who gon' stop him?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 11:42 AM)
And a healthy Dwight Howard would average 35/15/10 back in Kareem's prime. What's your point?

lol, because Howard has an array of offensive moves...

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 01:42 PM)
And a healthy Dwight Howard would average 35/15/10 back in Kareem's prime. What's your point?

Dwight's got nothing resembling a sophisticated post game or shot range. Nothing. At all. It's baffling.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
lol, because Howard has an array of offensive moves...

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 12:47 PM)
Dwight's got nothing resembling a sophisticated post game or shot range. Nothing. At all. It's baffling.

You didn't need it back then. There's this one guy, I won't mention his name, but it rhymes with Jill Tussell, that is considered to be one of the 10 best players of all time even though he's really not.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 3, 2013 -> 12:51 PM)
You didn't need it back then. There's this one guy, I won't mention his name, but it rhymes with Jill Tussell, that is considered to be one of the 10 best players of all time even though he's really not.

Bill Russell averaged 15 PPG for his career and played before KAJ.