Son's First Sox Game 7/5

cabiness42

We bought four tickets for Thursday's game a few months ago, planning to take my 4 year old son to his first ever Sox game. Our seats are along the left field line very near the front row, which is a good up close spot for the kid to see action and maybe even get a foul ball.

The problem now is that the forecast temperature is 102 degrees and our seats will not have any shade whatsoever. Skipping the game isn't really an option, given the money we've spent on the tickets and the fact that the kid has really been looking forward to this. Worst case scenario is that we only catch about 3 innings of the game and leave, but I'm looking for suggestions on how we might be able to last for most or all of the game safely and somewhat comfortably.

This is the first time when I might actually miss the old Comiskey Park, where the upper deck hung out over the lower deck, providing some obstruction to the views along with some shade.

The customer service desk behind home plate will do a special certificate for free to commemorate his first game. You can bring unopened water bottles into the park. You could always try to find a spot up higher, near the top under the second deck overhang.

Make sure you over-hydrate before ever getting out there.

Use a couple of the visiting batting frames to watch from the concourse.

I watched cubs-sox from the old upper deck in new comiskey when it was 100+ and as long as we took shade breaks every inning or two we were fine. Just drink lots is water, make sure he does too and you will all be fine.

Oh and have fun!

You could always try to find a spot up higher, near the top under the second deck overhang.

Yes, I am hopeful that (1) there will be enough no-shows that some shaded seats will be open and (2) the usher in that section won't be a jerk and will let us sit there.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 11:18 AM)
We bought four tickets for Thursday's game a few months ago, planning to take my 4 year old son to his first ever Sox game. Our seats are along the left field line very near the front row, which is a good up close spot for the kid to see action and maybe even get a foul ball.

The problem now is that the forecast temperature is 102 degrees and our seats will not have any shade whatsoever. Skipping the game isn't really an option, given the money we've spent on the tickets and the fact that the kid has really been looking forward to this. Worst case scenario is that we only catch about 3 innings of the game and leave, but I'm looking for suggestions on how we might be able to last for most or all of the game safely and somewhat comfortably.

This is the first time when I might actually miss the old Comiskey Park, where the upper deck hung out over the lower deck, providing some obstruction to the views along with some shade.

When you get there go to guest relations behind home plate and exchange those tix for seats in the shade. They're very accomodating, but I suggest it be the first thing you do when you get in the park because a lot of people will be doing that.

When you get there go to guest relations behind home plate and exchange those tix for seats in the shade. They're very accomodating, but I suggest it be the first thing you do when you get in the park because a lot of people will be doing that.

We used one of those special code things to get our seats for $20 each so I'm not sure how much it's going to cost us to exchange those for four tickets in the shade. I cringe at the thought of spending $100 more on tickets than I have to, but maybe these temperatures are going to force me to do that.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
We used one of those special code things to get our seats for $20 each so I'm not sure how much it's going to cost us to exchange those for four tickets in the shade. I cringe at the thought of spending $100 more on tickets than I have to, but maybe these temperatures are going to force me to do that.

Bring a towel to wet down and put over his head if you're sitting right in the sun.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 11:23 AM)
The customer service desk behind home plate will do a special certificate for free to commemorate his first game. You can bring unopened water bottles into the park. You could always try to find a spot up higher, near the top under the second deck overhang.

I think that's the best option. You should be able to find seats above. Even offer to trade with someone else allowing them to move up.

Given you have a 4-year-old with you, I doubt they'll give you any problems or charge you at all. Key is go to the customer relations booth and not the ticket window next to it. I've never been charged for an upgrade, caveat being I'm a season ticketholder, but like I said they're very accomodating. Believe me, it saves a lot of hassle with the ushers about people sitting in seats they don't have tix for. Most of whom are high school kids just trying to do their jobs.

Had the same problem with my nephew's first game several years ago. Marty's right. Go to Guest Relations. They will probably set you up in a handicapped section which will be covered. IIRC, the tickets for his game were premium UD box and they set everyone up in the handicapped lower level behind home plate.

Edited by Dick Allen

You are allowed to bring water bottles into the stadium from home. Go to Jewel and pick up a bunch. As long as you're hydrated, you will be able to enjoy the game if it's a good one.

While you're at Jewel, see if they have those automated fan/spray bottles.

My kids love the fundamentals deck and you can watch the game from up there for an inning or two. Some shade up there. It's hard to get young kids to sit in their seats for very long anyway. Have fun and be sure to drink lots of water.

I would have recommended club seats if you could have gotten them. The lobby area is air-conditioned.

Well, when we bought the tickets 2 months ago, I wasn't anticipating 102 degree heat, and we opted for the lower deck first because the boy could get a good up close look at the players for his first game, and second because the discount codes don't apply to Club level seats. $80 for four lower reserved in the second row sounded a lot better than $220 for four in the club level.