Vacation/Travel Thread.

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Aug 4, 2012 -> 10:23 AM)
I'm a travel agent, just so ya know.

There are plenty of safe places to vacation in Mexico, and Cozumel and Cancun can be an incredibly great value at times. You can also find some great values in Jamaica and Dominican Republic for all inclusives. The best time of year for a great bargain is coming up. Post labor day and pre Thanksgiving affords some amazing deals, but you do have some risk of tropical storms/hurricanes. The good news is, if there's no Tropical Storm, the weather is usually some of the best many Caribbean islands have all year. There's even one all-inclusive in the US, Club Med has one in Florida, near Port St Lucie.

Vegas can be great fun, but if you're going to go for the first time - do it right. Don't cheap out and stay at a generic off strip hotel, especially now because there are deals EVERYWHERE for Vegas. There's a big difference in your experience if you stay some place like the Cosmopolitan as opposed to say Circus Circus or the Hilton Garden Inn. Vegas can be very cheap to get to, but expensive to stay in. Personally, I'm ambivalent to the area.

My favorite cheap destination was Nicaragua. $5/night hotels a block from a gorgeous beach, riding chicken buses across the country for $1.25, drinking Tona beer and chilling out for a week was great. I wasn't even paying attention to what I was spending, had a great time, and never spent more than $70 in a day.

I'm going to Nicaragua in November. Did you go to the Corn Islands at all?

Late november its back to the motherland (Miami) for thanksgiving then a tiny road trip up to orlando to shake hands with Mickey Mouse. Disney does HUGE discounts for all military personnel, whether it be disneyworld, the resorts, disney cruises etc. Last year I bought a couple 4-day park hopper passes for $120 each with my military I.D. :headbang #spacemountain

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)
I'm going to Nicaragua in November. Did you go to the Corn Islands at all?

I didn't and I didn't hear so many great things about the Corn Islands. Basically you could distill the lonely planet guide down to about four words - Remote, Muggy, Expensive, Mosquitos. I ended up in San Juan del Sur for a few days and wanted to go to Leon to do the Volcano boarding, but I couldn't take myself away from the beach.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 08:09 AM)
I'm heading to Punta Cana, DR in three weeks for my honeymoon. We're staying at the Hard Rock resort and it looks pretty legit. I will report back.

The Punta Cana airport is a f***ing trip. I went there but actually stayed in La Romana which is now the Dreams La Romana.

Not for partying but for beaches...might I suggest Roatan? It's off the coast of Honduras, but it's a Caribbean atmosphere. The locals are incredibly friendly and it's easy to navigate. Might be a little crowded now that it isn't so much of a secret anymore...but I absolutely loved it and considered buying a condo there.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 12:51 PM)
I've been going to the Riviera Maya area over the past 6 years every May and have alot of input on all of the All-inclusives if you have any questions. There are TONS so you can always great a great deal. IMO the best all inclusive brand in mexico in the Secrets/Dreams/Now chains.

This year we went to Jamaica and the resort may not have been as "nice" as the ones we stayed at in Mexico I thought the overall atmosphere was better.

I've also done the DR, but thats the type of place if you have any aspirations of going off resort you simply cannot do it.

I've been looking in that area for my honeymoon next year so any input on good all inclusive would be much appreciated.

QUOTE (AssHatSoxFan @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 11:16 AM)
I've been looking in that area for my honeymoon next year so any input on good all inclusive would be much appreciated.

In Riviera maya?

If you want a nice all inclusive yet romantic resort I would recommend Zoetry

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g2..._Peninsula.html

Alot of the all inclusives are HUGE but this one is smaller, more personal and very awesome. You can get a cabana steps from the ocean with butler service.

If you want a really nice larger resort Grand Velas is fantastic.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 12:36 PM)
In Riviera maya?

If you want a nice all inclusive yet romantic resort I would recommend Zoetry

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g2..._Peninsula.html

Alot of the all inclusives are HUGE but this one is smaller, more personal and very awesome. You can get a cabana steps from the ocean with butler service.

If you want a really nice larger resort Grand Velas is fantastic.

Zoetry is pretty darn nice. On the Pacific Coast, Taheima Wellness Resort and Spa is pretty incredible according to my guests.

I'm also a big fan of Sandals in Whitehouse, Jamaica. It's secluded, gorgeous and the pools are amazing.

Going to Louisville, KY for labor day weekend.

Besides Louisville Slugger Factory any place I should visit and or eat at ?

Any particular kind of food you're interested in? I live just north of Louisville and I can recommend some places.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 06:45 AM)
Any particular kind of food you're interested in? I live just north of Louisville and I can recommend some places.

I'm a burger/steak/beer kind a guy, but if you can point me to where the nightlife is located that would be great :)

I'm a burger/steak/beer kind a guy, but if you can point me to where the nightlife is located that would be great :)

I'm married with young children and haven't done 'nightlife' in a while, so I can't speak from personal experience, but there are three main areas:

1) Downtown on 4th street. http://www.4thstlive.com/

2) The Highlands, a little SE of downtown at Baxter Ave/Bardstown Rd. http://www.thehighlandsoflouisville.com/

3) St. Matthews, a little farther E of downtown on US60.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)
Where to? Boulder is one of my favorite cities in the country.

Unfortunately wont be able to hit Boulder. Going to Denver and Fort Collins for a wedding. I'll be hitting Tour de Fat in Fort Collins for sure though.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 08:06 AM)
Unfortunately wont be able to hit Boulder. Going to Denver and Fort Collins for a wedding. I'll be hitting Tour de Fat in Fort Collins for sure though.

Denver is pretty money though. If you are grabbing breakfast one of those days you HAVE to hit up Sam's no. 3. Best god damn breakfast around. They cover everything in green chili

http://samsno3.com/

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Aug 22, 2012 -> 08:06 AM)

If you've never been id recommend the buckhorn exchange in denver.. Home of the best damn steak ive ever had, its also a national landmark and a great taste of the old west.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 3, 2012 -> 09:16 PM)
Went to Mt Rainier National Park over the holiday weekend. Gorgeous clear skies and some awesome hiking. Even saw a juvenile black bear about 20 yards from the trail.

Photo from my camera phone:

20120902_150010.jpg

Evidently he got back in time for the Packers game...