Why Do I Care About Attendance?

SouthSidePride05

Anyone else care about the attendance.. or lack thereof.. and wish they didn't? Regardless if I'm watching on tv or at the game and I see an empty outfield and upper deck, it puts a damper on watching Sox games. I never miss a game if I'm at home and have followed the Sox religiously since '93.. and unfortunately this problem is getting worse. How can I get myself not to care about attendance? :gosox1:

Edited by SouthSidePride05

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though it looks bad, and is a sore spot because of Cubs fans, I don't think the attendance drop is

A) that financially impactful, given that we have maybe 10 percent less fans than the team could have reasonably expected

B) much worse than the rest of baseball in this economy, and given the number of HD options / DVR options people have at home. Also, ticket prices are outrageous these days compared to what they should be, inflation adjusted, compared to the 90s.

Look at Tampa, Oakland, Baltimore and Washington. All contenders - all not drawing.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

Well you could see the writing on the wall when Kenny broadcasted to everyone that was within a mike that this would be a down year. That impacted season ticket sales which is the staple of our attendance. Walk up which helps to fill it out was hurt by uncertainty of the team by early play, the economy and by the dynamic pricing. You want to know what will fix this, winning. Put a consistent winning product on the field and attendance will follow. Win a year, and then suck the next makes it hard to drive season ticket sales.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 06:03 PM)
Even though it looks bad, and is a sore spot because of Cubs fans, I don't think the attendance drop is

A) that financially impactful, given that we have maybe 10 percent less fans than the team could have reasonably expected

B) much worse than the rest of baseball in this economy, and given the number of HD options / DVR options people have at home. Also, ticket prices are outrageous these days compared to what they should be, inflation adjusted, compared to the 90s.

Look at Tampa, Oakland, Baltimore and Washington. All contenders - all not drawing.

The only thing that matters is the teams performance and ability to win games. If the teams payroll is significantly tied to ticket sales then yes that would be reason to be upset. However, I think in this day and age thats a myth. Teams draw so much revenue from TV/Radio deals, Advertising/Partners, outings, party's, corporate events, etc. Heck the Sox even started a sports marketing company called Silver Chalice that is said to draw revenue used for team expenses and payroll. The Sox have crappy attendance, always have, but they are one of the best teams IMO at drawing revenue from non ticket sales related sources. Something that I think they have had to in order to survive and have become very good at. Their payroll is consistently high and their talent acquisition ability has not taken a hit when attendance drops. Be more proud of that than anything else.

Also I content that in a market like Chicago, NY, LA, San Fran, etc that ticket sales shouldnt matter all that much. These markets have broad audiences and can generate revenue and more revenue from the non ticket sales revenue sources. The sox may charge 3K for a skybox and 100K for an outfield wall add, in Pittsburgh for example the size of the market dictates they can only get $1.5K for a skybox and 25K for an outfield wall add. Therefore, ticket sales are much more important as they have a much greater direct impact on the teams financial health. Basically what Im saying is the attendance argument is almost as outdated as evaluating player performance on batting average or W-L record for a pitcher. Simply archaic.

It's only natural to care about attendance. It makes Sox fans feel good when the stadium is full. However, I've changed my stance a bit especially this year because of the economy. I can see why people don't want to go and pay the parking costs and costs of a hot dog and Coke or beer. It truly is ridiculous and I do not care about attendance for that reason. Parking, quite frankly, should be 5 dollars or free. It truly is criminal what they charge hard working southsiders for parking.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 02:28 AM)
It's only natural to care about attendance. It makes Sox fans feel good when the stadium is full. However, I've changed my stance a bit especially this year because of the economy. I can see why people don't want to go and pay the parking costs and costs of a hot dog and Coke or beer. It truly is ridiculous and I do not care about attendance for that reason. Parking, quite frankly, should be 5 dollars or free. It truly is criminal what they charge hard working southsiders for parking.

Agreed.

Tickets are really expensive. I mean, I know its Chicago and all, but damn. Parking too, as you mentioned, is way over priced. High prices + bad economy = half empty Cell.

I mean, look at Detroit, Detroit is worse off than Chicago. Hell, Michigan is doing really bad, but people come because Tigers tickets are cheap overall.

I don't care who's in town, anything more than $20 for an UD ticket is ridiculous. Bleacher tickets for $60 because the Cubs are playing the Sox? Just stupid.

If they lowered tickets, more people would come and spend money in the park. If they lowered parking and tickets, EVEN MORE people would come and spend their money at the Stadium. That is more money going back into the Sox.

I'm starting to think that the White Sox true fanbase just isn't that big, despite being in Chicago. I'm sure the stadium to the north has a lot to do with that. The casual sports fan and/or tourist who may go to 1 or 2 games a year is way more likely to buy a ticket to a Cubs game, so the Sox really miss out on that market.

Looking back at 2005's attendance numbers, that was the best team in baseball, and the stadium was empty numerous times in September. Were prices that expensive back then? I doubt it. There was a major attendace spike after the World Series, but how much of that was corporate sponsors jumping on the WS bandwagon, along with random neutral fans doing the same thing? I realize that Sox playoff games historically sell out without a problem, but that happens in every pro town. (other than Atlanta & Miami)

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 11:09 PM)
Hard to motivate the average fan to come to the ballpark tonight when they watched the team lost 6 out of the last 7 games.

You look to tomorrow, and if you consider going to the game, it's 7 of 8 you've watched. The average fan/family is being pushed away by this.

Fans have had excuses to not go to the first 155 games. Why would the last 7 be any different?

"Walk Up" which is the difference between good attendance and the "announced advance tickets" announced everyday is destroyed by $25 to park and then the constantly increasing food prices in the park. I downplay the ticket price excuse-you can sit where you want at these games, and I frankly would buy a better ticket if those other 2 albatross issues were made more affordable. $10 to park-at the most and close to $10 just for a bad hot dog & fries is inconsiderate pricing. Things like corned beef, the beef brisket, and those loaded taco-type salads should cost more. But there is no give on the other things like a simple hot dog-a burger-or fries.

This brings up the old argument of ticket prices being so high (along with parking and concession costs). I realize that the Sox are a business and they have to make money. And I know that there's no money to be made if tickets are $10. But there has to be a happy medium. There is no question that lower ticket prices would result in more fans coming out. And as Greg pointed out, lower parking costs would help, too. Obviously ticket prices cannot be dropped dramatically, or there would be no money to pay for a quality product on the field.

I live 40 minutes from the Cell, and I've been to one game in the past three years. Not because I'm not a fan. But because of the cost. The average person nowadays cannot afford to take their family to a Sox game very often. And even if I wanted to go by myself (my kids would be quite pissed), I'd still be paying $50 for a ticket and parking and then another $20 or so for concessions. I just can't afford to do that very often. And frankly, if I can't go to a game with my family or at least some friends I'm going to grab a 6-pack of Hoegaarden and flop down in my recliner. That's only going to cost me about $9.

I would love to go to 5-10 games a year, but it's not going to happen. However, if ticket and parking prices are lowered, I might be able to come 1-2 times a year.

Walking into the park yesterday, there was a funereal atmosphere hanging over the place before a single pitch was thrown. The 1-2 punch of Detroit coming back to tie KC being displayed on the out of town scoreboard, and Omogrosso coming in to do his thing cemented that.

Just like an animal, they're going to find a quiet, secluded place away from everything and go die there. Progressive Field in this case.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
I'm starting to think that the White Sox true fanbase just isn't that big, despite being in Chicago.
I think you've hit on an important point here, and one that few want to acknowledge. A combination of shifting demographics over the decades, dumb moves by the Reinsdorf group, and most important of all the positive impact Tribune company ownership had on the Cubs have all combined to make Chicago much more of a Cubs town. Additionally the Tribune company and WGN created countless Cub fans out in the American hinterland. When out of towners come to visit Chicago a trip to USCF is rarely on the itinerary, but taking in a Cubs game at Wrigley often is. Edited by SI1020

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 26, 2012 -> 09:44 PM)
I knew it would be down this year due to season ticket numbers, but I'm shocked/bewildered at HOW low it is. If payroll drops again next year, we have no right to complain.

it's not that far off 2011. especially when u factor in the lower expectations