Whatcha drinkin'?

Jake

I could have sworn we had a beer lovers' thread around here at some point, but for the life of me I cannot find it. I am somewhat new to beer, but I'd love to get some ST conversation of craft beers as well as any ol' beers that people like. I honestly used to hate beer, but someone finally told me that not liking Bud/Natty/Miller light beers was not enough experience to judge the potential of beers. I spent a little more time and care trying things and now I have a full blown hobby, though I admit I haven't gone hard after the IPAs and other high IBU beers for the most part yet. Seems like I'll really be a connoisseur once I fully embrace the hoppiest of beers.

Anyways, what are you guys drinking? What's your favorite stuff? What's on your want list? What did you just buy? What's your cellar look like?

We did a wonderful knightni poll in 2010, look here for results: http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80260

I've been enjoying wheat beers, particularly hefeweizen style, since I had hefeweizen at Destihl Brewpub in Bloomington-Normal. If you're ever in Central IL, check out the Destihl locations -- great house brews, pretty damn good foods too. You can buy 4 oz samples for $1-2 each if you want to try out a variety of things and you can take a growler of something home with you. Destihl's Strawberry Blonde medaled at this year's GABF -- I found it delicious as well.

My true favorite hefeweizen is:

franziskaner-hefe-weissbier-hell.jpg

I found out they're owned by AB InBev, so I like to mix in this as well:

sierra-nevada-kellerweis.jpg

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 07:48 PM)
HA! I just bumped the Finer Things thread for a Alaskan Smoked Porter. Sorry.

Oh, and Destihl is absolutely amazing. Their sours are very impressive.

Son of a b****!

lol, couldn't find that thread for the life of me. I'll let the masses decide if this shall be integrated into the old or whether we need a new.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Oct 19, 2012 -> 11:04 PM)
I've been trying as many Oktoberfests as I can. So far, Schlafly is my favorite this year. I have also found out that I don't mind an occasional pumpkin beer, oddly enough, I cannot stand the Schlafly Pumpkin.

Schlafly is hit and miss for me. Favorite Oktoberfest? I haven't had too many.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Oct 20, 2012 -> 12:40 AM)
Yazoo hefeweizen out of Nashville.

I will try that out, I'm in Memphis so I should support brewers trying to survive in TN where alcohol sales are fairly restricted.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Oct 20, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
I've been hitting up a lot of local options such as the Highland Black Mocha Stout, the Foothills Octoberfest, and I tried the pale ale at a local brewery (Saw Works) last night.

Thankfully, things are getting better in TN as far as brewing and selection. Of course, having Asheville so close also helps!

I'm going to see if those things have made the trek across the state!

Today is

SamAdamsOctoberfest.jpg

and

Fat-Tire-New-Belgium-Brewing.jpg

...and maybe more :ph34r:

Two Brothers' Oktoberfest is delish as well, I love that a local Costco carries their 24 bottle variety boxes for $24.

If anyone is in southwest Michigan (Sawyer, IL, right off 94), there is Greenbush brewery. Stopped by there on my way up to see my brother (who is somewhat of a regular there) and it was fantastic.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 21, 2012 -> 10:14 PM)
All my beer snob buddies love IPA's, but the ones I've had are just okay for me. Very strong stuff

IPAs are good, and can be excellent, but I honestly think they are overrated. That hop taste can be fantastic, but I also think beer snobs limit themselves on needing a crazy IBU to classify it as great.

Most of my favorite beers have intense, but smoother flavors from ingredients other than hops.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 22, 2012 -> 09:26 AM)
IPAs are good, and can be excellent, but I honestly think they are overrated. That hop taste can be fantastic, but I also think beer snobs limit themselves on needing a crazy IBU to classify it as great.

Most of my favorite beers have intense, but smoother flavors from ingredients other than hops.

IPA's constitute most of my top favorite beers, I love a good Hefe here and there, but my favorite beer as of now has to be

Westmalle_Tripel_Portrait_small.jpg

Ah, is it the weekend yet?? :drink

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Oct 22, 2012 -> 10:05 AM)
IPA's constitute most of my top favorite beers, I love a good Hefe here and there, but my favorite beer as of now has to be

Westmalle_Tripel_Portrait_small.jpg

Ah, is it the weekend yet?? :drink

Great choice, my personal favorite style are those strong Belgian ales.

I have a ton of recommendations for you if you like Westmalle, I was fortunate enough to live next to Belgium for a few months and I took full advantage of it.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Oct 22, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)
Made some $$ yesterday moving boxes at my moms work...do 40 oz of craft beers exist? I don't wanna spend too much but I wanna drink a little for the Bears game/Raw.

For most liquor stores, no, but you should be able to find 24oz bottles of some local brews in the fridge section.

That said, if you are near a local brewery you like, you can go there and get a growler.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 22, 2012 -> 10:51 AM)
For most liquor stores, no, but you should be able to find 24oz bottles of some local brews in the fridge section.

That said, if you are near a local brewery you like, you can go there and get a growler.

Growler = something I can take home? I am near 3 Floyds Brewery.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Oct 20, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
I've been hitting up a lot of local options such as the Highland Black Mocha Stout, the Foothills Octoberfest, and I tried the pale ale at a local brewery (Saw Works) last night.

Thankfully, things are getting better in TN as far as brewing and selection. Of course, having Asheville so close also helps!

You've intrigued me. I'm not familiar with Saw Works and having lived in Knoxville for 5 years, I was a little surprised. But then I looked it up and it looks like they started selling in 2011, so I was either gone (or soon to be gone) by then. I look forward to trying this out when I'm back in town.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Oct 22, 2012 -> 12:19 PM)
You've intrigued me. I'm not familiar with Saw Works and having lived in Knoxville for 5 years, I was a little surprised. But then I looked it up and it looks like they started selling in 2011, so I was either gone (or soon to be gone) by then. I look forward to trying this out when I'm back in town.

It used to be called Marble City, but they had a trademark issue and had to change their name. It's kind of off the beaten path in the Old City on Depot Street.