How much are you willing to offer Josh Hamilton?

South Paw

74 members have voted

1. 1. How high would you go on Hamilton?

• I'd rather not sign him.
    • 1 year/$25M
    • 2 years/$50M
    • 3 years/$75M
    • 4 years/$100M
    • 5 years/$125M
    • 6 years/$150M
    • 7 years/$175M
    • As much as it takes.

He's obviously the biggest free agent hitter out there and would make our lineup a hell of a lot better (at least in the first 3-4 years). He's currently asking for 7 years/$175M and although I don't believe he'll get that, but he'll probably end up getting somewhere in the neighborhood of $23-25M per year. So how many years are you willing to offer him? Hamilton is currently 31 years old with a long injury history (not to mention his off the field problems).

Edited by K-Rock

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Nov 10, 2012 -> 06:02 PM)
I imagine he'd ask for MORE to play here, as he'll need all the money he can get to score crack. It IS the south side, after all......

That said, not worth it. Injury prone and didnt we learn our lessons with peavy/rios/dunn?

Terrible post.

I really recommend his book to all of you, it's a great read. I believe he's changed his life around for good.

QUOTE (K-Rock @ Nov 10, 2012 -> 03:49 PM)
He's obviously the biggest free agent hitter out there and would make our lineup a hell of a lot better (at least in the first 3-4 years). He's currently asking for 7 years/$175M and although I don't believe he'll get that, he'll probably end up getting somewhere in the neighborhood of $23-25M per year. So how many years are you willing to offer him? Hamilton is currently 31 years old with a long injury history (not to mention his off the field problems).

I doubt the White Sox (like most teams) will take a risk on his talent vs. demons. Not to mention, the Sox are pretty limited financially so unless they either decide to massively increase the payroll OR sign Hamilton and move 1-2 players to absorb his salary, I really have a hard time believing the Sox would make a move like you're suggesting. I think the team that signs him will give at least 3 years, probably 4.

QUOTE (ROC Sox Fan @ Nov 10, 2012 -> 04:56 PM)
I'd do 5/$125. Not my money so that's not an issue, but years wise I wouldn't want to go more than 5.

I wouldn't go more than 3-4 years @ 25 per. Twenty-five is an overpay considering he has shown he won't play a full season.

As for the "it's not my money argument," it still matters a lot considering the payroll is limited.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Nov 10, 2012 -> 06:02 PM)
I imagine he'd ask for MORE to play here, as he'll need all the money he can get to score crack. It IS the south side, after all......

That said, not worth it. Injury prone and didnt we learn our lessons with peavy/rios/dunn?

What is the price of crack near the Cell these days? I've always operated under the rule of 1 bag of crack = 1 suckoff, with the current market determining the quality of each.

Anyway, we get Hamilton and.... yeah, we're not getting Hamilton.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Nov 10, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)
What is the price of crack near the Cell these days? I've always operated under the rule of 1 bag of crack = 1 suckoff, with the current market determining the quality of each.

Anyway, we get Hamilton and.... yeah, we're not getting Hamilton.

Lol. Yea 1 for 1 is right, 2 for one is desperation-city.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 10, 2012 -> 05:11 PM)
Terrible post.

I really recommend his book to all of you, it's a great read. I believe he's changed his life around for good.

When was this book written, because he was caught out on a bender just last year.

Those problems will haunt him the rest of his life. Heroin is bad stuff

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 10, 2012 -> 09:20 PM)
For people posting about how they'd offer x amount for Hamilton, please explain how you'd make this financially feasible, as in fitting within a budget of somewhere between 100-110 million?

If you subtract the money they were paying Youk and AJ then couple that with a trade of Rios, Floyd and maybe Thornton, the money would be there.

I can't get on board with the crack/demons talk, I've read his book a few times and truly root for the guy now. Its been 6 years now and what has been his biggest problem in that time span?? QUITTING smokeless tobacco??

Highly doubt it happens but I'm def not against it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 10, 2012 -> 09:30 PM)
When was this book written, because he was caught out on a bender just last year.

Those problems will haunt him the rest of his life. Heroin is bad stuff

I dont have the book on me but it was the year after he was in the HR derby at Yankee Stadium. I actually gave it to my friend who has been dealing with a drug problem.

I recall something about that but dont remember the details, was he just drinking??

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 10, 2012 -> 07:34 PM)
I dont have the book on me but it was the year after he was in the HR derby at Yankee Stadium.

I recall something about that but dont remember the details, was he just drinking??

He's relapsed at least 2x in the last couple years and probably more than that.

No thanks

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Nov 10, 2012 -> 09:40 PM)
He's relapsed at least 2x in the last couple years and probably more than that.

No thanks

Were drugs involved? When I think about a former addict and the word relapse I think they went back to the drugs. If he was able to just drink and not take any drugs then I dont see the issue. If he can be a normal human being and drink and it doesn't effect him at the plate, which it hasn't, then whats the problem?

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

Is there a way to structure a contract that would nullify it, if a player were found to have serious substance abuse problems?

I understand that it would be difficult to do, even if it were approved by the Player's Union. Nevertheless, it does seem fair and reasonable. After all, it's one thing for a player to be injured, and yet quite another for him to become an addict, or relapse into a state of active drug, or alcohol addiction. Perhaps he could be suspended without pay, until he demonstrated that he was no longer using the particular drugs specified in the contract.

Again it's complicated, but it just doesn't make sense for a team to not have some recourse, under such conditions.

Only in sports!!!!!

In the "real" world, a guy would just be fired, with no compensation.

It's ludicrous for a team be responsible to pay a player $25 or $30 million per year, under such circumstances? Where is the accountability?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 10, 2012 -> 11:54 PM)
Is there a way to structure a contract that would nullify it, if a player were found to have serious substance abuse problems?

I understand that it would be difficult to do, even if it were approved by the Player's Union. Nevertheless, it does seem fair and reasonable. After all, it's one thing for a player to be injured, and yet quite another for him to become an addict, or relapse into a state of active drug, or alcohol addiction. Perhaps he could be suspended without pay, until he demonstrated that he was no longer using the particular drugs specified in the contract.

Again it's complicated, but it just doesn't make sense to not have some recourse for a team under such conditions. Only in sports!!!!!

In the "real" world, a guy would just be fired, with no compensation.

It's ludicrous for a team be responsible to pay a player $25 or $30 million per year, under such circumstances? Where is the accountability?

There's really no clause needed IMO. Now I'm not sure if he still gets the same treatment but, to go off what I know from reading his book, he gets/used to get drug tested every 1 or 2 weeks and if he fails one he's a goner. Without pay. He's not getting no signing bonus that he can blow this time around.