Keppinger to Sox 3 yr deal

dmbjeff

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll find out soon enough what Youk is going to get and for how long. Regardless, there's no way the Sox could have signed him for anything close to what they signed Keppinger for. More than likely, they got 3 years for what they would have paid for 1 year of Youk's services.

I like Youkilis and he made a big impact last season, but I'm glad the Sox didn't sign him for 1 year at $10MM+.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
Very close to Chaveztalk.com again, dammit

Once again as the dominoes start to fall how excited will everyone be that things are finally happening?

Slightly moreso than yesterday.

The amount isn't so absurd that, if a better option arises or his play falls off, that he still can't be useful as a lefty masher in a utility role.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)
Is there a large domino about to tip over?

Looking at the lineup posted above, is this a roster that is one or two keppinger-type plugs away from competing for a World Series or even a division crown? Thats the exact questions that the Sox front office is dealing with right now and I believe that they dont think they have enough.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin

White Sox aren't done: They will add another infielder and a veteran catcher if Pierzynski goes elsewhere

Keppinger is that tough out, versatile player both Hahn and Robin Ventura discussed yesterday

There is no utility infielder right now, unless Carlos Sanchez is brought to the Majors. Adding someone like Jack Hannahan gives...

. the White Sox flexibility in using Keppinger, even if he is the starter.

As for Morel, if you read between the lines, his health in Spring Training probably was not security enough. Will start in Charlotte

He'll have a daily chance to prove his back is as healthy as he recently said it was. He's also limited as just a third baseman

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)
Looking at the lineup posted above, is this a roster that is one or two keppinger-type plugs away from competing for a World Series or even a division crown? Thats the exact questions that the Sox front office is dealing with right now and I believe that they dont think they have enough.

I would agree that they need more. I guess the question is where do they get more? I assume a trade or two has to be made either to free up money or to acquire someone.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)

I wish we wouldn't have signed Peavy so we could just sell right now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
His metrics at 3B were also pretty bad until last year. I'm sure the Sox will take average.

I think the Sox are hoping that Morel makes it all the way back (pun intended) and Keppinger is the superutility for a couple of years.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

#yankees bid higher $12M on 3 yrs for keppinger. Either slick negotiating by new chisox gm rick hahn or chicago preference

Or he just wants to start for 2-3 years instead of playing half a season and then becoming a backup.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
I wish we wouldn't have signed Peavy so we could just sell right now.

I would say our young pitching is attracting a crowd, package that with a nice pen arm and maybe a halfway decent prospect or a starting OF'er and you may have something there.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 03:34 PM)
I don't understand why you think I'm arguing that. Once again, someone asked why people think he's a sub-par defender, and I said it's because he has a -17.7 career UZR. That's the answer. You're right that we can't transfer that data over to third and know for sure, and I feel like I've said that in every post I've made.

But, if an infielder is bad at a blend of 2B/SS/3B, I would argue it's more likely he's bad at 3B than it is that he's good at 3B. If you disagree, that's fine -- we really don't know.

No need to take it further. I felt you were implying that one approach was more statistically (or logically) appropriate than another. My argument is that either the data can tell us something or it cannot. If we do not have enough data to say he plays a good or bad 3B, then we should leave it at that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 03:05 PM)
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

#yankees bid higher $12M on 3 yrs for keppinger. Either slick negotiating by new chisox gm rick hahn or chicago preference

Or dude's tired of being a backup and knew once A-Roid got back he'd have a part-time gig? The talentless White Sox roster = playing time.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 05:14 PM)
I never heard of Jeff Keppinger before yesterday. I'm wondering whether that says more about me as a fan or him as a player.

nah, it just means you don't play fantasy baseball. :P

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 04:02 PM)
I would say our young pitching is attracting a crowd, package that with a nice pen arm and maybe a halfway decent prospect or a starting OF'er and you may have something there.

sounds like a package to go after Justin Upton. (dreaming I know)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 04:18 PM)
Or dude's tired of being a backup and knew once A-Roid got back he'd have a part-time gig? The talentless White Sox roster = playing time.

The way it stands now, one could argue the Sox roster has more talent than what the Yankees will open 2013 with. Jeter and A-Rod are both out.

EDIT: Would be more accurate to say... talentless 3B depth chart in the Sox organization.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
The way it stands now, one could argue the Sox roster has more talent than what the Yankees will open 2013 with. Jeter and A-Rod are both out.

EDIT: Would be more accurate to say... talentless 3B depth chart in the Sox organization.

Whoever that "one" is might need to get his head checked then.