How and why did you become a Sox fan?

YASNY

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad grew up a Tiger fan in Ft. Wayne, IN, and my mom came from Kansas City, so I guess you could say the American League is in my blood. When we moved back to the Chicago suburbs from KC at the end of Summer '83, in my bare bedroom a Sox cap and t-shirt were there waiting for me, a housewarming gift from dad. Sure, I watched a lot of Cub games for two reasons—we didn't have cable tv, and the Cubs were always on WGN after school. Second, Ryne Sandberg was the idol of every little leaguer too shrimpy to play a corner infield position, but sick and tired of picking dandelions out in right field.

Save about a baseball season's worth of adolescent indiscretion where I became a fan of the frontrunning A's in 1989-90, I've been a White Sox fan ever since.

got it from my dad, who became a sox fan out of spite for his father, a cub fan. i guess my grandfather was really into sports and my dad only marginally so. growing up, my dad heard a ton about the cubs, and being a contrarian, became a sox fan which he passed down to me.

two things really made it permanent. one was the 83 team. i was 10 and just getting into sports and the "winning ugly" season was great to follow. the next year, the 84 cubs made the playoffs. even though i was told you couldn't root for both, i supported the cubs until they lost. when they lost i took it as a sign that i should stick to one team. never rooted for another team since.

:gosox1: