Kevin Youkilis Appreciation Thread

Steve9347

Missing 3 games in the middle of a pennant race for the birth of his child is what pissed me off. Every man has a right and IMO an obligation to be with their wife or girlfriend during child birth, but I can't comprehend how it required him missing 3 games. He obviously took off as much time as he felt he could, which may make him a good husband/father but a very s***ty teammate. I'm pretty sure someone on here with inside knowledge posted that this rubbed teammates the wrong way.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 01:24 AM)
Oh good f***ing lord

-September and October (starters):

Viciedo: .896

Rios: .888

De Aza: .848

Beckham: .792

Konerko: .773

Dunn: .676

Pierzynski: .656

Youkilis: .649

Ramirez: .547

If you're going to blame the offense (mind you, the staff ERA was 4.04 for September and the Tigers' was 2.48), then you have just as much blame to put on Pierzynsky, Dunn and Ramirez as you do on Youkilis.

As much as I suggest the dude is a slimy bastard - quite honestly, I do believe so - there's no way the Sox final game with Detroit means a f***ing thing without him.

He is to blame for nothing.

That's why it was phrased the way that it was. Youk doesn't deserve all of the credit either.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 05:27 PM)
FWIW, I liked Youk. He was a big improvement and I was satisfied with his performance. Made the season more fun.

Yup. That was definitely a high point of last season, when he came over. How can you not like the guy?

Good luck to him, and thanks for last year.

I'm glad that the Sox didn't pick up Youk's $13 million option. I didn't really think they would, but...

$13 million for one season should only be spent on All-Star caliber players rather than overrated, declining guys with .225 BAs who don't play good defense and get injured on a regular basis. I totally prefer getting Keppinger over keeping Youkilis around.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
I'm glad that the Sox didn't pick up Youk's $13 million option. I didn't really think they would, but...

$13 million for one season should only be spent on All-Star caliber players rather than overrated, declining guys with .225 BAs who don't play good defense and get injured on a regular basis. I totally prefer getting Keppinger over keeping Youkilis around.

You would think that but the economics of baseball is becoming more insane.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)

I doubt they ever were going to, even if Youk had a better end of the season. Boston gave them enough to cover the buyout.

I've got mixed feelings about Youk leaving. First and foremost I'm originally from Boston and I'm tired of seeing veteran Red Sox heroes landing in NY for the last few years of their career with overpaid contracts. It just feels like greedy baseball and emphasizes how much of a business the sport is. In interviews all of these players would say how much they hate the Yankees and how they would all pull together against them but then many of them would run over to Yankee stadium when they wanted money. Feels like Mr. Potter in "It's A Wonderful Life".

On the other hand, he was asking for more money than he was worth and I would rather roll the dice with Keppinger as a younger player. Good things could happen.

QUOTE (rippedsounds @ Dec 27, 2012 -> 08:34 AM)
I've got mixed feelings about Youk leaving. First and foremost I'm originally from Boston and I'm tired of seeing veteran Red Sox heroes landing in NY for the last few years of their career with overpaid contracts. It just feels like greedy baseball and emphasizes how much of a business the sport is. In interviews all of these players would say how much they hate the Yankees and how they would all pull together against them but then many of them would run over to Yankee stadium when they wanted money. Feels like Mr. Potter in "It's A Wonderful Life".

While I can appreciate the sentiment, it strikes me as odd coming from a Red Sox fan. Boston has done there share of offering big money contracts to lure players from the smaller market teams and the Red Sox are hated by other teams almost as much as the Yank$$s are.

Boston is absolutely the wrong team to compare to Potter / Bailey.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 27, 2012 -> 08:45 AM)
While I can appreciate the sentiment, it strikes me as odd coming from a Red Sox fan. Boston has done there share of offering big money contracts to lure players from the smaller market teams and the Red Sox are hated by other teams almost as much as the Yank$$s are.

Boston is absolutely the wrong team to compare to Potter / Bailey.

You've just nailed the reason why I stopped being a Red Sox fan. But I was a kid though once.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 01:10 AM)
Youk filled the role he was acquired to fill for the time he was expected to fill it. Thanks Youk and good luck.

We've had a parade of the one year or less wonders and he is clearly in the better half. Thanks for stopping by and playing hard.