Catch-All Anything Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 3, 2013 -> 11:49 AM)
Why do people do the polar plunge?

To say they did.

I may get heat for this, but when did Taylor Swift get so hot? She is wearing these sexy clothes lately and I'm digging it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 3, 2013 -> 12:13 PM)
To say they did.

I may get heat for this, but when did Taylor Swift get so hot? She is wearing these sexy clothes lately and I'm digging it.

I've always thought she was a cutie, she's straight up sexy now.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 3, 2013 -> 02:46 PM)
Why do people run on ice?

Cause they want cool scars on their forehead.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 3, 2013 -> 06:07 PM)
At a conference in Atlanta, researchers have announced that a 2.5 year old girl who was born with the AIDS virus appears to have been cured by a high dose of anti-Aids drugs.

If the finding holds up, it would be the 2nd case of a person being cured of the AIDS virus.

Wow. So I didn't read your article but I wonder if there's something else genetically that allowed her to fight it off? If so, this poor kid's going to have genetics testing for life.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 3, 2013 -> 08:04 PM)
Wow. So I didn't read your article but I wonder if there's something else genetically that allowed her to fight it off? If so, this poor kid's going to have genetics testing for life.

The logic seems to be that it was treated very aggressively before it had a chance to spread -- normally, it would re-emerge after lying dormant despite the drugs...but in this case, it never got a chance to spread to those corners of the body where it could "hide." It doesn't appear to be very applicable to those who contract it via sex/drugs, yet, unless perhaps you treat aggressively the moment you come into contact with it.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 3, 2013 -> 09:22 PM)
The logic seems to be that it was treated very aggressively before it had a chance to spread -- normally, it would re-emerge after lying dormant despite the drugs...but in this case, it never got a chance to spread to those corners of the body where it could "hide." It doesn't appear to be very applicable to those who contract it via sex/drugs, yet, unless perhaps you treat aggressively the moment you come into contact with it.

It's definitely a treatment technique that they described as something they don't regularly do...so it might well be something that can be replicated in other kids.

(Of course, for that to happen, it would actually have to be systematically tried. Thankfully, the National Institutes of Health will have the number of grants it disperses cut in half this year, because we don't want to know whether this might work elsewhere.)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 08:04 AM)
It's definitely a treatment technique that they described as something they don't regularly do...so it might well be something that can be replicated in other kids.

(Of course, for that to happen, it would actually have to be systematically tried. Thankfully, the National Institutes of Health will have the number of grants it disperses cut in half this year, because we don't want to know whether this might work elsewhere.)

I wonder how the kid got infected in the first place. Mother-child infection rates are really low if the mother is being treated. Like less than 2% low. http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomp...ns/hivaids.html

2% isn't zero, but it seems doubtful that the mother had adequate medical care anyway:

In the Mississippi case, the mother had had no prenatal care when she came to a rural emergency room in advanced labor. A rapid test detected HIV. In such cases, doctors typically give the newborn low-dose medication in hopes of preventing HIV from taking root. But the small hospital didn't have the proper liquid kind, and sent the infant to Gay's medical center. She gave the baby higher treatment-level doses.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 4, 2013 -> 09:18 PM)
LOL detained for 3 hours? A quick question and a google search would have solved it in about 2 minutes.

It was solved in 2 minutes. Another 2 hours 58 minutes to complete the paperwork so he could actually leave.

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 6, 2013 -> 09:50 PM)
Anyone had a vasectomy? I'm probably going to get one soon (2 kids is enough) and I am looking for advice.

It was a pretty easy and straight forward thing. Awkward for the first couple of days, but so much better than the alternative.