2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 11:59 PM)
They wouldnt find an actor who looks similar to Walker to play his role. With the way the last movie ended they could possibly get the kid from Tokyo Drift back into it.

Well, there's an obvious danger inherent in doing that...some would say it's being disrespectful, that you can't replace Paul Walker, etc., or attempt to fill his shoes.

Then again, in movies like F&F, The Heat or Rush Hour, the strength of movie is the interplay between the two characters coming from two totally opposite backgrounds. Vin Diesel is the street-savvy East Coast guy, Walker is California cool with the blonde hair/blue eyes/pretty boy look.

Does that work with Lucas Black? Not sure. Probably not.

One of the things that worked with bringing the Rock into the series was simply the fact that he was a formidable obstacle and challenge for Vin Diesel to overcome. Then you had their "bromance" thing developing...the mutual respect forged from the battle they waged against the crime lord in Rio.

It's going to be interesting to see how they handle it.

Another option would be the police woman from Brazil who got close to Vin Diesel when he still thought Lettie was gone/dead.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 05:28 PM)
It's not like I suggested Zac Efron or Freddie Prinze, Jr., lol.

This whole thread is kind of amusing.

I mean, there's this "I'm above watching F&F movies" based on ratings/reviews, etc.

C'mon, I'm sure that many people who post on this thread and watch movies like THE ARTIST, Winter's Bone, Requiem for a Dream or the majority of Academy Award-nominated movies have also watched some of the F&F movies as well. The bottom line is whether a movie is entertaining or not, yes?

For example, there are many weaknesses in the Gravity film, not only scientifically but dialogue-wise with Sandra Bullock's character, but is it a FUN/ENTERTAINING film to watch that gives some who will never experience the thrill of space a SOMEWHAT similar feeling? Sure. And because of Cameron's blessing and the presence of favorites Clooney and Bullock, it will undoubtedly be one of the Academy Award favorites as well, although that's 80-90% based on CGI/special effects/cinematography.

You don't have to do 3 movies with Soderbergh to have credibility in Hollywood.

Maybe it will be someone totally out of left field, like Mario Lopez or Mark Wahlberg. Who knows? Shia LeBouef, haha.

The last couple of movies in the series have been HUGE HUGE HUGE successes, especially internationally. Just the fact that they're now on the 7th one should tell you something. And probably the best one of all, from a cinematic standpoint, Tokyo Drift, is the one the fewest people have seen, since it was pretty much straight to DVD.

Bringing in Lucas Black to replace Walker might be the most logical move of all, if you look at the series arc.

Just not sure he's a big enough star or name anymore to fill Walker's shoes. And his accent can get a bit wearying.

This diatribe is so off base. I don't care if you like bad s***. America likes bad s***. It's not about art house vs bad s***, it's about Ryan Gosling accepting being a part of a Happy Meal. Not going to happen.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 12:43 AM)
This diatribe is so off base. I don't care if you like bad s***. America likes bad s***. It's not about art house vs bad s***, it's about Ryan Gosling accepting being a part of a Happy Meal. Not going to happen.

Johnny Depp and Robert Downey, Jr., certainly did.

The Notebook is more or less a sanitized fruit and yogurt concoction at McDonald's. It's Nicholas Freaking Sparks, the definition of cheesy/sappy American romance novelists over the past 15 years.

Crazy, Stupid, Love, with Steve Carell, Emma Stone and Julianne Moore...that was a bunch of A-Listers trying to recapture the magic of Little Miss Sunshine except with the obligatory Hollywood-ized feel good ending.

Speaking of mainstream, so were Gangster Squad and Remember the Titans, a Disney movie if ever there was one.

I will agree that he's spent the better part of a decade trying to burnish his credentials as the antithesis of The Notebook heart throb. Walker received $15 million for Fast Five and The Fast & Furious 6. I doubt Gosling would turn down $20+ million.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 07:45 PM)
Really liked Catching Fire. More so than the first which I enjoyed. Almost tempted to read the last book. Almost.

The last book is one of the worst books you'll ever read. Poorly written with a horribly predictable ending. Catching fire was the best in the series.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 01:47 AM)
Johnny Depp and Robert Downey, Jr., certainly did.

The Notebook is more or less a sanitized fruit and yogurt concoction at McDonald's. It's Nicholas Freaking Sparks, the definition of cheesy/sappy American romance novelists over the past 15 years.

Crazy, Stupid, Love, with Steve Carell, Emma Stone and Julianne Moore...that was a bunch of A-Listers trying to recapture the magic of Little Miss Sunshine except with the obligatory Hollywood-ized feel good ending.

Speaking of mainstream, so were Gangster Squad and Remember the Titans, a Disney movie if ever there was one.

I will agree that he's spent the better part of a decade trying to burnish his credentials as the antithesis of The Notebook heart throb. Walker received $15 million for Fast Five and The Fast & Furious 6. I doubt Gosling would turn down $20+ million.

I liked the notebook. Rachel McAdams does it for me.

One of the worst kept secrets about Batman Vs. Superman is that it would feature a cameo by Wonder Woman. A Wonder Woman who will not be played by Jaimie Alexander because apparently even her breasts are too big for whatever the hell they’re trying to do here. Variety reports:

Gal Gadot will play Wonder Woman in the untitled “Batman vs. Superman” movie.

"Wonder Woman is arguably one of the most powerful female characters of all time and a fan favorite in the DC Universe. Not only is Gal an amazing actress, but she also has that magical quality that makes her perfect for the role. We look forward to audiences discovering Gal in the first feature film incarnation of this beloved character,”" Snyder said.

thesuperficial.com

Funny, with all the F&F talk, here's yet another connection, with Gal Gadot dying in that series only to end up as Wonder Woman, and Jaimie Alexander PROBABLY being blocked from the role since she's ALREADY Sif in Thor, shooting conflicts with Avengers 2...we'll see how it works out.

There's also talk of a stand-alone Sif movie, although recent fiascos like Cat Woman and Elektra might be scaring some studios.

At least they didn't go with Megan Fox, simply because she looks the most similar to Lynda Carter in terms of appearance and body style.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 08:18 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2899050:date=Dec 5, 2013 -> 08:00 AM:name=Balta1701)-->
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 08:00 AM)
<!--quotec-->

I cheesed on the first one and wound up really enjoying it - so I'll see this one.

I wish SONY would allow Spidey to join the Avengers. :-(

I think eventually they will come to a "OK, everyone here can make a metric f***-ton of money with this..." agreement. The guys from Marvel keep saying "Never say never" when Spiderman is brought up with the Avengers

This Spider-Man series is so much better than the last one.

Also I don't need Spider-Man in Avengers. He was never a big part of Avengers in the comics and there is a ton of other characters you could have in Avengers. Some they are adding for the next movie.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 08:52 AM)
This Spider-Man series is so much better than the last one.

Also I don't need Spider-Man in Avengers. He was never a big part of Avengers in the comics and there is a ton of other characters you could have in Avengers. Some they are adding for the next movie.

The Avengers is a constantly changing set of characters, adding Spiderman to one of the movies would be pretty awesome. It isnt needed, per se, but it would be a lot of fun

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 08:54 AM)
The Avengers is a constantly changing set of characters, adding Spiderman to one of the movies would be pretty awesome. It isnt needed, per se, but it would be a lot of fun

There could also be an overload of too many big names. I would rather they keep the big names they have and add lesser known characters around them. Like Black Widow and Hawkeye.

The next movie is going to have Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 08:59 AM)
There could also be an overload of too many big names. I would rather they keep the big names they have and add lesser known characters around them. Like Black Widow and Hawkeye.

The next movie is going to have Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

I trust Joss :D