2013-2014 NFL Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Although McCown's numbers are a bit skewed cause of the INT drops that DBs/LBs should have made on him (as well as him facing bottom team defenses) this offense still looked much better going through him. He fits Trestman's West coast style much more than the gun slinger Cutler (his short passes, intelligence to read defenses and when to roll out and avoid pressure are much better). But.. I still would like to see Cutler in the same system for more than one year as well.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 22, 2013 -> 08:19 PM)
The defense is bad. Really bad. Maybe Mel Tucker should be fired. I'll let our Scout-in-Chief Emery decide whether Tucker deserves to get another year with different personnel. They lost us today's game.

What we need to figure out is whether Jay Cutler is worth our investment. Not whether he is worth the franchise tag or a long-term deal. Is he worth any deal? Are we better off rolling with a mixture of McCown/rookie/cheap FA project for the long-term future or Jay Cutler? These are the choices. We have a great offensive core locked up for a few more years. Best WR tandem in the NFL. A top-5 RB. A very good TE. An OL with real potential. If you sign Cutler, you're saying that core lives and dies with him. Are you comfortable with that?

These are the questions we have to sort out. Jay is not showing me he's worth the time. McCown may or may not outplay Cutler next year, but the monetary investment will be relatively small and you'll be free to open the door to the next guy if it isn't panning out/you have the next guy ready.

I've been a huge Jay fan. I've been the guy DA is mocking in this thread. I don't think I believe in [the boy from] Santa Claus anymore.

My fear is just that we finally have weapons on offense. Is Jay ever going to be an elite qb? Hard to argue that he will at this point. But it would be unfathomably frustrating to have these weapons and not be able to utilize them because we go through another qb merry-go-round. It's really easy to say let him walk and then McCown gets injured in week 2 next year and we put in some rookie we drafted in the 4th round who doesn't pan out.

I do know Cutler can win with this offense, but I don't know if he can do it consistently enough with a defense that needs to be entirely rebuilt.

It's a very difficult position to be in if you're Trestman and Emery.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 22, 2013 -> 10:39 PM)
Although McCown's numbers are a bit skewed cause of the INT drops that DBs/LBs should have made on him (as well as him facing bottom team defenses) this offense still looked much better going through him. He fits Trestman's West coast style much more than the gun slinger Cutler (his short passes, intelligence to read defenses and when to roll out and avoid pressure are much better). But.. I still would like to see Cutler in the same system for more than one year as well.

Jay was so hesitant in the pocket tonight. Any sort of pressure caused him to hesitate, which led a good amount of his sacks tonight.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 22, 2013 -> 10:39 PM)

If this is indeed the case, and that's the kind of QB who will make it work, there has to be someone the Bears can acquire who fits the mould and is better at football than McCown.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 22, 2013 -> 10:42 PM)
Jay was so hesitant in the pocket tonight. Any sort of pressure caused him to hesitate, which led a good amount of his sacks tonight.

I think that one hit he took where he was limping around out there got to him. He wasn't the same after that as far as moving his feet.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Dec 22, 2013 -> 10:43 PM)
If this is indeed the case, and that's the kind of QB who will make it work, there has to be someone the Bears can acquire who fits the mould and is better at football than McCown.

Well Cutler is that guy. Question is, can people live with him forcing the issue which can lead to bigger plays, but more turnovers. He has proven to know how to run a West coast offense with Shanahan. Trestman might have a different terminology, but it's still the same philosophy. He is the best QB the Bears have had since Luckman, but that isn't that impressive in our history. Should the Bears stay with him or Josh in a short window to win, or are they better off drafting and grooming a QB, surrounding him with more talent as the Marshalls, Fortes of the world start to age a bit, and then see what you got (with a right side, young OL and Jeffrey's potential as a #1).

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 22, 2013 -> 10:52 PM)
Well Cutler is that guy. Question is, can people live with him forcing the issue which can lead to bigger plays, but more turnovers. He has proven to know how to run a West coast offense with Shanahan. Trestman might have a different terminology, but it's still the same philosophy. He is the best QB the Bears have had since Luckman, but that isn't that impressive in our history. Should the Bears stay with him or Josh in a short window to win, or are they better off drafting and grooming a QB, surrounding him with more talent as the Marshalls, Fortes of the world start to age a bit, and then see what you got (with a right side, young OL and Jeffrey's potential as a #1).

The latter two can be done simultaneously.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 04:42 AM)

Welcome to his career.

I didn't think tucker should be fired until today. Seeing bostics lack of progression makes me think he just can't hack it here. Bostic may be worse than conte and dumber than Hester.

I'm still excited for Bostic. He needed more time to develop and learn how to do things, a better line in front of him, and more experience around to help him out. It wouldn't surprise me to see him really turn things around next year, but I also wouldn't mind bringing back DJ Williams to compete with him for another year as well.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 22, 2013 -> 10:41 PM)
Missing the playoffs is bad though. If you can send the message that this team can make the playoffs even with those losers it builds a ton of momentum for next year.

I disagree. Making the playoffs does nothing but lose you spots in the draft. Also, If the front office thinks that they need to be fired. If the Bears make the playoffs this year it is a mirage, because, you know, the a top 3 QB resides in cheesehead land and he also won't get hurt every season. They need to build a team which can beat GB with Rodgers, not having a crap defense that has more holes than every brick of Swiss cheese in the state of Wisconsin every season. I guarantee you that if Rodgers doesn't go down the season would have been over weeks ago. Even as bad as GB's defense is, the Bears' defense is exponentially worse. I'm not confident that the Bears can win next Sunday even if Rodgers doesn't play. Capers owns Cutler and I would rate the Bears defense as rivaling Dallas in ineptitude.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 22, 2013 -> 11:51 PM)
Making the playoffs is always preferable. Always.

I disagree. The only time making the Playoffs is preferable is if you have a realistic probabililty of winning the whole damn thing. Nothing worse IMO than making the playoffs with a team that is destined for a 1st/2nd round loss. Being a fan of a mediocre team is worse than being a fan of a godawful team. We're all Sox fans here, we should know this after 11 out of 12 yrs of it. In football this is a little different, because it is a tournament style playoff, but you have to see said team sneaking in possess at least 2 of the following on each side of the ball:

1. A front 7 that can rush the passer against anyone

2. An offense that can run the ball against anyone

3. A defense that creates a lot of turnovers against everyone, regardless of the strength of the team

4. An offense that minimizes turnovers

5. An offense that has tons of big play capability in the pass game

6. A secondary that can cover so well that it creates coverage sacks

7. An offense that is top 10 in 3rd down %

8. A defense that is top 10 in 3rd down %

If your team has had a mediocre season, sneaked into the playoffs, and possesses 4 of these qualities, I think that it is ok to think that making the POs is good. The Bears possess one or two of these qualities, and it they are both on the offensive side of the ball. They are a bad team that had some a) good luck when they caught teams and b) some incredible 4th quarter comebacks. (The 1st 2 games of the season are at the top of the list)

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 12:26 AM)
I disagree. The only time making the Playoffs is preferable is if you have a realistic probabililty of winning the whole damn thing. Nothing worse IMO than making the playoffs with a team that is destined for a 1st/2nd round loss. Being a fan of a mediocre team is worse than being a fan of a godawful team. We're all Sox fans here, we should know this after 11 out of 12 yrs of it. In football this is a little different, because it is a tournament style playoff, but you have to see said team sneaking in possess at least 2 of the following on each side of the ball:

1. A front 7 that can rush the passer against anyone

2. An offense that can run the ball against anyone

3. A defense that creates a lot of turnovers against everyone, regardless of the strength of the team

4. An offense that minimizes turnovers

5. An offense that has tons of big play capability in the pass game

6. A secondary that can cover so well that it creates coverage sacks

7. An offense that is top 10 in 3rd down %

8. A defense that is top 10 in 3rd down %

If your team has had a mediocre season, sneaked into the playoffs, and possesses 4 of these qualities, I think that it is ok to think that making the POs is good. The Bears possess one or two of these qualities, and it they are both on the offensive side of the ball. They are a bad team that had some a) good luck when they caught teams and b) some incredible 4th quarter comebacks. (The 1st 2 games of the season are at the top of the list)

You kidding me?

This is the NFL. There are no guarantees. No one gave the Cardinals a shot to win in Seattle. That's why you play the games.

You get in the playoffs, you have a chance. PERIOD. You need to win 4 games. That's it.

And are you DISCREDITING the Bears for coming back and winning games? A win is a win. They were 3-0 and looked like a 12-win team headed for an NFC North title and maybe much more. Injuries decimated this team, and they're still 1 win away from winning the division.

I seriously can't even fathom you saying MISSING the playoffs in the NFL is better than MAKING them. This isn't the freakin' NBA.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 22, 2013 -> 10:35 PM)
This is the NFL. There are no guarantees. No one gave the Cardinals a shot to win in Seattle. That's why you play the games.

The Cards are a 10 win team with one of the best defenses in the NFL. Yeah everyone picked Seattle to win at home but the Cards aren't some 3 win s***ty team. They were playing for their playoff lives.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 12:44 AM)
The Cards are a 10 win team with one of the best defenses in the NFL. Yeah everyone picked Seattle to win at home but the Cards aren't some 3 win s***ty team. They were playing for their playoff lives.

I never said the Cards were a bad team.

Not wanting to make the playoffs is ridiculous. Anything can happen. Todays game was wrecked from the start, you can't let a team with an offense like the Eagles get off to the start they did. After it was 21-0 with the offense only having 2 possessions, with this defense, it was over before it began. Can't work in the run game, defense is expecting pass all day, and they are rushing the house all day. Quite literally nothing Jay or the Bears ca do.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 12:44 AM)

Very defensive from your perch atop the bandwagon.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 01:25 AM)
Not wanting to make the playoffs is ridiculous. Anything can happen. Todays game was wrecked from the start, you can't let a team with an offense like the Eagles get off to the start they did. After it was 21-0 with the offense only having 2 possessions, with this defense, it was over before it began. Can't work in the run game, defense is expecting pass all day, and they are rushing the house all day. Quite literally nothing Jay or the Bears ca do.

Exactly. Teams get hot in the blink of an eye. It's one game. Not 3 out of 5.

To say you'd rather have your team miss the playoffs is asinine.

Exactly. Teams get hot in the blink of an eye. It's one game. Not 3 out of 5.

To say you'd rather have your team miss the playoffs is asinine.

Especially since there's no draft lottery and the Bears have no chance at getting a top 10 pick if they do miss the playoffs.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 08:25 AM)
Yeah, there's not an NFL equivalent of "basketball hell."

Having no picks(through trading them away) is the closest thing to it. Of course having higher picks is better, but all in all, the GM needs to find value out of 200+ picks, not 60 (like in the NBA).

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 23, 2013 -> 08:38 AM)
Having no picks(through trading them away) is the closest thing to it. Of course having higher picks is better, but all in all, the GM needs to find value out of 200+ picks, not 60 (like in the NBA).

Oh you can always sabotage yourself, but the structure of the NBA draft really punishes the middle-of-the-pack teams because of the lottery aspect.