Sports Media discussion

Case in point about B&B is currently there is no discussion to be had about he Bulls in their mind yet they are continuing ot have it.

We all know the B&B think the Bulls are in basketball hell. Yes they are.

We all know that the Bulls are not going to beat the Heat as currently constructed if the Heat is healthy.

There is a debate if you'd like about how good the Bulls really are and comparable to other teams where would they be. This conversation can not be had on that show.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 12:11 PM)
I can't stand the segment, it's terrible.

It's absolutely hilarious.

B and B don't pile on simply for disagreeing, the problem is 95% come with nothing to back up their point, or are just flat out wrong about the topic at hand. There are some very great listeners/emailers, but most of the callers (or at least who they let on the show) are idiots.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 11:55 AM)
Case in point about B&B is currently there is no discussion to be had about he Bulls in their mind yet they are continuing ot have it.

We all know the B&B think the Bulls are in basketball hell. Yes they are.

We all know that the Bulls are not going to beat the Heat as currently constructed if the Heat is healthy.

There is a debate if you'd like about how good the Bulls really are and comparable to other teams where would they be. This conversation can not be had on that show.

Yeah, they're getting really repetitive on that. They just keep saying the same thing over and over and over without talking about how you might get out of "basketball hell," other NBA teams, anything else besides "the Bulls are screwed!"

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 11:55 AM)
Bring back Goff and put him with Abbatocola, them two together is non stop entertainment. They've done a few shows together in the past.

This. I wish Goff was still here so they could do this. Since he's not, how about getting Mattmattacola more work- even if it's solo work in the evening slot? He used to have a few of those weekly not too long ago (and those were some of the funnier shows I've heard on the Score), but now it's only ever Holmes/McKnight/Ostrowski. I know he's been chiming in more often during the midday and afternoon shows, and it's great.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 12:16 PM)
It's absolutely hilarious.

B and B don't pile on simply for disagreeing, the problem is 95% come with nothing to back up their point, or are just flat out wrong about the topic at hand. There are some very great listeners/emailers, but most of the callers (or at least who they let on the show) are idiots.

Total bulls***. You can tell in the first second of a call if Bernstein will even allow any sort of discussion.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 12:58 PM)
Right.

Hey I actually like B&B, I listen to them every day. But to act like they give any call-in dissenting opinion a chance is completely disengenuous. Bernstein fell in love with himself over the past 4 years. He talks over people who disagree with him and bullies callers, and when he really doesnt agree with them, he screams at them.

And IIRC athomeboy used to intern there and did call screening for them, and was basically told to put the idiots on so that they could blow them up.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 12:22 PM)
Total bulls***. You can tell in the first second of a call if Bernstein will even allow any sort of discussion.

I agree with this 100%. The tone in Dan's voice when he answers will tell you immediately how he's going to react. It's not all the time, but pretty close to it.

I understand that they can see what the caller wants to discuss before taking the call. If you're taking calls just to s*** on someone, don't take the call. It's their schtick and I get that, but I think it gets old fast.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
Hey I actually like B&B, I listen to them every day. But to act like they give any call-in dissenting opinion a chance is completely disengenuous. Bernstein fell in love with himself over the past 4 years.

Bernstein has been in love with himself for however long he's been on, I wouldn't limit it to 4 years.

They don't do it in a second. But you can usually tell pretty early if the guy has a dumb opinion, once he's given it, they counter it. There aren't many times where I say "that guy was right/had a good point, they really should have heard him out."

They put good callers on too, but idiots is what makes the show "sell" better. 5 hours of "great point guys I agree with you" doesn't do a lot, unfortunately.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 01:19 PM)
Bernstein has been in love with himself for however long he's been on, I wouldn't limit it to 4 years.

They don't do it in a second. But you can usually tell pretty early if the guy has a dumb opinion, once he's given it, they counter it. There aren't many times where I say "that guy was right/had a good point, they really should have heard him out."

I think they limit those callers to people they know. I think we all know they have their little group of friends, Tim Baffoe(10 foot midget), Government Fromage, black physicist, and others that will call in and disagree and they accept it. Regular Joes, they rarely give a chance to get the argument off the ground before Dan is crushing them.

The problem with B&B is that Boers simply repeats 99.9% of what Bernstein says. Basically, every time a caller challenges Bernstein, even if he has a good point, Boers calls the caller an idiot and just agrees with whatever Bernstein's point is.

Very rarely does Boers ever disagree with Bernstein and when he does he's usually wrong. If they could replace Boers with a guy like Spiegel who would provide differenting viewpoints, I think Bernstein would have to accept he's not always right and would be more enjoyable to listen to.

Who ya Crappin', when on, is the best segment on radio. And I agree, IlliniKrush, normally

is a really good listen. I jumped in in the middle of a segment last week and I think they were talking to his wife (maybe daughter?). I was laughing my entire metra ride home.

Bernstein is an asshole and I think he's become more full of himself the last few years (though admittedly i've only listened for the last few years), but he keeps the "level" of sports talk pretty high by being that way. Guys calling into sports shows are generally god awful, but if there's a good discussion it can be great radio. Making fun of/dissing morons who call in keeps the conversation level as high as sports talk radio can be.

Waddle/Carmen/Silvy, with Silvy being the lead, might be a good listen. I used to like Carmen and Silvy back in the day. I just don't think Carmen is a good lead. Too much humblebrag going on there.

Chicago sports radio is just torture. B&B is on the top of that list. Really there is nothing out there worth listening too. More than anything I really turn on the music stations or the news station. There is just nothing redeeming about sportstalk in this town. It is either all cheerleading, inside jokes, or lowest common denominator.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 02:47 PM)
Chicago sports radio is just torture. B&B is on the top of that list. Really there is nothing out there worth listening too. More than anything I really turn on the music stations or the news station. There is just nothing redeeming about sportstalk in this town. It is either all cheerleading, inside jokes, or lowest common denominator.

+100000

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 1, 2013 -> 02:47 PM)

Sirius/XM radio is the only way to go.

God I hate B&B, listening to them right now is beyond painful.

They gave a guy a hard time because he argued it's possible that this Michael Jordan illegitimate child may just want his dad to be part of his life and may not be looking for money. Instead of just respecting the caller's point, which was based on his own similar experience, they had to be complete dicks.