Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 06:48 PM)
McNeil posts there on occasion, and he had an interesting observation about the new generation of sports talk hosts. Mac feels they think their purpose is to educate rather than entertain.

That's pretty good. I never thought of that, but it's how I feel. Even worse are the people you come across who parrot all the "wisdom" they heard on Sports radio.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Donaldo @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 07:00 PM)
Anybody hear Renteria on with Spiegel and Parkins today?

Bad interview all around IMO.

Just listened to it, and while I don't think Renteria will ever be a must-hear interview, Parkins seems like such a tool in love with the sound of his own voice.

What I like about Renteria...he seems like an authentically boring baseball guy. He knows what he wants to say, and he's not going to give media guys a canned answer that's almost expected in 2017.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 07:23 PM)
What I like about Renteria...he seems like an authentically boring baseball guy. He knows what he wants to say, and he's not going to give media guys a canned answer that's almost expected in 2017.

He's not a very exciting interview, is he? :D

I don't understand why he sounded so secretive when asked about some of the shenanigans going on (Giolito giving acting lessons, somebody dressing up as The Undertaker). Sounds to me like they're having fun and bonding as a team... that's a GOOD thing.

Most of the questions he was asked were pretty inane IMO. The only players they asked about were Giolito and Lopez.

A bad interview, but... it happens sometimes.

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 08:28 PM)
He's not a very exciting interview, is he? :D

I don't understand why he sounded so secretive when asked about some of the shenanigans going on (Giolito giving acting lessons, somebody dressing up as The Undertaker). Sounds to me like they're having fun and bonding as a team... that's a GOOD thing.

Most of the questions he was asked were pretty inane IMO. The only players they asked about were Giolito and Lopez.

A bad interview, but... it happens sometimes.

It is a good thing but they are things that need to be kept in-house with the team. Who knows what is going to offend fans today. Most "hazing" is banned now and people could miscontrue what is happening.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 08:38 PM)
It is a good thing but they are things that need to be kept in-house with the team. Who knows what is going to offend fans today. Most "hazing" is banned now and people could miscontrue what is happening.

That's a good point. I have a vague memory about an incident several years ago (Ozzie was still manager) involving a blow up doll (or something) in the Sox clubhouse. Some people freaked out over it.

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 07:46 PM)
That's a good point. I have a vague memory about an incident several years ago (Ozzie was still manager) involving a blow up doll (or something) in the Sox clubhouse. Some people freaked out over it.

Well it was Swisher's doing so....

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 07:57 AM)
I am curious to know what he went into.

There were a lot of tweets @ him saying they appreciated that he brought it to a personal level, and one indicated that he explained why he didnt go for/take the open slot when Boers retired

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 08:18 AM)
There were a lot of tweets @ him saying they appreciated that he brought it to a personal level, and one indicated that he explained why he didnt go for/take the open slot when Boers retired

Interesting. I wonder if the show will be posted on their website.

I found this little "recap" on a sports radio message board:

Oddly enough I happened to hear this while driving from Joplin to KC (the transformer was really pumping out). Basically Drinky was a guest on Sir's show for the 1st hour. It started with Drinky singing the praises of Terry Boers to the point that I thought he may have passed. Then he discussed his recent "promotion" (LoHo's term) and noted how he was happy with it as he had tired of being a producer and liked the rather carefree job of update and fill-in host. BD would be happy to know that Drinky flat out said he was happy for Goff and that the reason he isn't a host is because he wasn't good enough.

That led to him stating that he was immature and let his ego get the best of him up until about a year ago. He apparently saw a shrink and became aware of how he had been a very self-centered person...thus bad son, uncle, etc. Leery then asked if Drinky now realized that he (LH) had been correct in the past.?Drinky said yes and basically admitted they had drifted apart and that it was his (MA) fault. The parting began when Drinky overslept for one of their shows and took offense when LH admonished him. Larry then added that he had a short fuse when he felt he wasn't being listened to and that he was working on that as well. They appear to have mended the fences prior to this show.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 08:51 AM)
Layoff day at ESPN, over 100 employees to lose their jobs including significant on air personalities

First one i have seen confirmed is Ed Werder

That's surprising. I thought I read somewhere it was May 1. That sucks. Glad they're sparing most of the behind the scenes staff, though. These talent guys will all have jobs elsewhere.

Edited by Sox-35th

Hannah Storm gone, too

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 09:07 AM)
Werent people talking about Mike and Mike being canned a while back? I know they have still been the air since its been mentioned in here but maybe now is the time.

Golic was the one people were unsure about, but ESPN re-signed him in April. Both have admitted that Mike and Mike is ending and lament the fact that they couldn't announce it on air.

A Running List of ESPN Layoffs (Deadspin)

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)
Karl Ravech going to have a significantly reduced role. Storm and Russilo are in the same boat. Ravech is the man...nostalgia from when BBTN was the best darn show on tv.

At least RR is scaled back. He's a complete airhead.

Sucks for some of these NHL and Soccer writers but most of them appear to have known it was coming.

It's too bad ESPN's audience and corporate structure have decided nonsense yelling debate is more valuable than real sports journalism.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 09:30 AM)
None of those quotes say what you said earlier though. Yes, Dems have railed against income inequality and have hammered at some of the issues on Wall Street to push that argument. But if you specifically argued that the Dems have made people with money the enemy. And that is very much not what either Clinton the candidate or Obama the President have done or said.

Dana O'Neil out, one of the bigger college bball writers.