What's it take to win the AL Cy Young?

mmmmmbeeer

I think it takes performances like Esteban showed us in the top of the 3rd last night. Figgins with a leadoff triple and Esteban STRANDS him at 3rd after striking out the side. How often do you see that? THAT is what makes a pitcher worthy of winning a Cy Young. He's a complete stud on the mound and it will be a true tragedy if he isn't rewarded for his inspiring pitching. I honestly shook my head in amazement after watching him work his way out of that on his own. Outstanding...highlight of the game for me. :headbang

Composure is the word that describes ELo. He doesn't allow his mistakes to get to him. He works around his mistakes for the better of his stats, as well as for the team's good. The biggest thing going in his favor is his lowest-in-the-league ERA. His composure is going to really help keep that low. I think that ELo has a very good chance of winning the Cy young award.

The biggest thing going in his favor is his lowest-in-the-league ERA.  His composure is going to really help keep that low.  I think that ELo has a very good chance of winning the Cy young award.

He's 3rd in the A.L. and 8th in the Majors, in E.R.A.

I thought the post season didn't come into play for CY voting. From what I remember they vote before the playoofs start.

While he's close he may not be a shoo in. A playoff berth should put him over the top.

Look out for Tim Hudson....he is quietly sneaking back up in the Cy race...he is now 12-4 with an ERA of 2.48 I think...thats REAL good....Este has raised his ERA in the last 2 starts, up to 2.61...which is still amazing...but if it comes down to Este and Hudson, I really think that whichever team wins the division could play a role in it...if Este hits 20 wins...and his ERA stays under 3, I like his chances.

I have no doubt in my mind Loazia should be the Cy-Young. He's done it from day 1. He's had to date TWO bad starts this year. That's right 2. One against the Mariners in May and that start in Texas. He's given us a chance to win every time out. Considering where he's come from and the fact that the Sox would be about 12 gms outta 1st without him I think he's no doubt the Cy-Young. Oh yeah his numbers r good too :P

If E-Lo wins, knock on wood, he may be the lowest paid Cy Young winner since...well alot longer than I've been around.

Since Greg Maddux ... when he won it with the Cubs. Just a guess and couldn't pass on the opporunity to put a dig in on the Cubs. :D

I know you were joking but out of curiosity I decided to check on Maddux.

He made $4.2 million in 1992 dollars according to baseball reference.  That's a far cry from $650,000.  I'm gonna try and find the answer to my own question.  Stay tuned.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

It's been done by a few relievers including Mark Davis of San Diego.  I'm having a harder time finding a starter that can match this 2003 E-Lo season.  Especially if you take baseball salary inflation into account.

You'll have to go back to the pre-free agent/arbitration days, I would imagine.