Men's vs Women's Athletic Ability

My wife insists I am a male pig because I think women's athletes are far less entertaining (largely due to major physical difference between men and women). This morning, she put this on Facebook....

Odd thought this morning and feel the need to stir the pot: Why are sports teams still segregated by gender? You would think that they would want the best players they can assemble, regardless of gender. Are there rules that say you have to have certain body parts? Ok, discuss.

I wrote this back:

Just to stoke debate, when it comes to an individual sport (100m sprint) where they train to the highest extent of their physical abilities... here are the men's and women's world record times: Men - 9.58 (Usain Bolt); Women - 10.49 (Florence Griffith-Joyner). FloJo wouldnt even make the top 2000 mens fastest times.

She insists that's not a valid argument because it's not a "team sport". i say it is because it points out that men and women are PHYSICALLY different. Men have more testosterone which leads to things like larger muscles which can increase physical performance.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

My wife insists I am a male pig because I think women's athletes are far less entertaining (largely due to major physical difference between men and women). This morning, she put this on Facebook....

I wrote this back:

She insists that's not a valid argument because it's not a "team sport". i say it is because it points out that men and women are PHYSICALLY different. Men have more testosterone which leads to things like larger muscles which can increase physical performance.

When I was in college, my dorm's men's rec league soccer team beat the defending NCAA Division I Champion women's team 2-0, and the goalie played out of her ass to keep the score that low.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 08:29 AM)

I wrote this back:

Your wife is silly and delusional. The teams do assemble the best rosters they can regardless of gender. It just so happens there's no woman who could crack a roster.

this was her rebuttal:

"But your neverending argument that WNBA games suck b/c it's a women's game is stupid, b/c it's the exact same game that the terrible mens' teams play and yet you still watch those."

I told her it freaking makes the NEWS when a woman's player dunks. It may be the same rules... same ball... but the games are very different.

I just broke out Geno Auriemma's quote: "The fact that a woman could actually play right now in the NBA and compete successfully against the level of play that they have is absolutely ludicrous."

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

This is not an argument that you'll win, because she's

1) Fighting to fight clearly

2) Thinking she's fighting the good fight for all women

In terms of the women not being allowed to play, look at all the stories you hear about girls playing little league baseball and such. Yea, they may be able to play with the boys at that young age, but as soon as middle school/high school rolls around they can't keep up anymore.

And look at the NCAAW basketball teams, they practice with guys who couldn't even walk on to the men's team. And from what I heard, those guys would more than hold their own versus the women's team. They have those guys in practice because they are better, to make the women players better.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 08:43 AM)
this was her rebuttal:

"But your neverending argument that WNBA games suck b/c it's a women's game is stupid, b/c it's the exact same game that the terrible mens' teams play and yet you still watch those."

I told her it freaking makes the NEWS when a woman's player dunks. It may be the same rules... same ball... but the games are very different.

I just broke out Geno Auriemma's quote: "The fact that a woman could actually play right now in the NBA and compete successfully against the level of play that they have is absolutely ludicrous."

It's not even the same ball. It's smaller. One time I accidentally grabbed a women's ball at a gym (I guess all the men's ones were checked out). I thought I was Reggie Miller when I was shooting around. I was making everything. It was a bit disheartening when someone else came to shoot at my rim and I felt their ball and realized it was bigger and heavier.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 09:35 AM)
It's not even the same ball. It's smaller. One time I accidentally grabbed a women's ball at a gym (I guess all the men's ones were checked out). I thought I was Reggie Miller when I was shooting around. I was making everything. It was a bit disheartening when someone else came to shoot at my rim and I felt their ball and realized it was bigger and heavier.

huh! i didnt know that.

That is true, though except for Britany Greiner, I believe all of the dunks by women have been two-handed, so ball size doesn't matter in that specific case, but yes, it does affect shooting, ball handling, and the ability to dunk with one hand.

Funny that it made you shoot better, definitely makes me shoot much worse.

I believe it was a year ago, Illinois played the first four minutes of a game using a women's ball, I think they were missing everything.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 09:47 AM)
I believe it was a year ago, Illinois played the first four minutes of a game using a women's ball, I think they were missing everything.

Yeah, but they've played much, much more basketball with a regular ball than I have. At that time I hadn't played in a while. If I played more often I could see how it would hurt though.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 09:45 AM)

I just about shot one over the backboard the first time I grabbed one of those.

There is a reason there are different rules for women in most sports. Even rec softball there are rules about how many players you can put into the infield.

Of course, they're also playing sports created by men for men. If there were games that women would be better at, it probably isn't the ones that men have been playing for >100 years in most cases.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 09:45 AM)

Smaller ball goes into hoop easier than larger ball.

See: Every bulls*** basketball game at a fair or Great America or what have you.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 11:23 AM)
To the best of my knowledge sports are segregated, but the segregation ironically is that men cant play on a woman's team.

If its just about the best players, why cant guys play in the WNBA?

:D

This is absolutely 100% the truth. In fact, I think men have it harder because there are clearly jobs that they might apply for that they have no chance in getting simply because they're a dude. For instance:

Hooters server

Professional cheerleader (keyword there being "professional")

I'm disappointed that its taken this long for someone to attribute the superiority of men's sports to their big balls.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 5, 2013 -> 07:39 AM)
That is true, though except for Britany Greiner, I believe all of the dunks by women have been two-handed, so ball size doesn't matter in that specific case, but yes, it does affect shooting, ball handling, and the ability to dunk with one hand.

Actually dunking with a smaller ball is easier even 2 handed. If you had ever dunked you would know that. Even common sense tells you its harder. Since the ball is smaller and the rim is not it's easier to fit the ball through it just as with a jump shot. Also with a smaller ball there is less chance of it slipping out of your hands .And a larger ball is harder to get above the rim because you have to be a little bit farther away from the rim to get the ball , over , above and down.