Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

So, my 2012 Civic got totaled on the highway the other day.

I'm looking for tips on getting a new car, because my insurance is covering it to the point where I won't pay much more a month.

I did love my Civic and can get a new one from my dealer for about $210/month for five years. Honestly, the only hang up I'd have is choosing between black again or carbon gray. I love black, but it seems hard to keep clean. Thoughts?

Look into the Mazda3 or Mazda6, if you're the kind of person who buys a new Civic you'll be surprised how much better those two meet your needs than the Civic. If you value performance the Mazdaspeed3 still isn't as good as the Focus ST but the base model is the best hatch in America right now.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 3, 2013 -> 04:14 PM)
Look into the Mazda3 or Mazda6, if you're the kind of person who buys a new Civic you'll be surprised how much better those two meet your needs than the Civic. If you value performance the Mazdaspeed3 still isn't as good as the Focus ST but the base model is the best hatch in America right now.

I did love my 2005 Mazda3. Any reason you find it better?

Edited by Quinarvy

I did love my 2005 Mazda3. Any reason you find it better?

Than the Civic? I mean Civic's have been falling behind the pack for years now. You can get the same economy out of a Focus or Mazda3 except those two cars will run circles around the Civic in terms of performance and options. The redesign helped but everyone pretty much agrees you're better off with a Ford or Mazda now.

I dont know if you're willing to go very small but the one FWD car I'd buy right now is the Fiesta ST, which isn't even out yet but the #'s are wildly encouraging. It's better looking than the Abarth 500, crams 197hp/215ftlbs torque into a sub-BRZ curb weight and has such a narrow chassis it actually works with wrong wheel drive. Those little Ecoboost 1.6's are capable of some crazy #'s when you strap a turbocharger to them. Its a little steep compared to the base model, $21k base price, but I honestly might buy it since I'm tired of trying to squeeze every ounce of practicality out of the Miata. I mean, compare that to the Speed3, Focus ST, Abarth 500 and idiotic Mini and its a great price.

The Mazda6 is just the best mid-size sedan for the money right now. Looks f***ing righteous and its got literally all of the Skyactiv goodies standard (you almost have to get the Mazdaspeed version to find the same trim levels in the 3).

I have to say, none of these cars mentioned really appeal to me (except the Fiesta, which I ADORE) because FWD and all of its failings. A lot of them are numb in steering and sacrifice every lick of performance for 1 or 2 more mpg's so I naturally stay away from them. If the Focus RS had a AWD I'd be saving my pennies in anticipation, but it doesn't so chances are I'll either stick it out with the Miata or buy the Fiesta ST since its cheap and hilarious.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

Mazda's havent had the greatest reliability and their interiors can be really far behind other brands, which is too bad because their performance and exterior looks can be awesome.

Q, I'd also check out the Elantra (didn't have enough oompf for me but they sell like crazy because they are well designed), the new 2014 Kia Forte looks great as well. The Nissan Sentra intrigues me as well with some real nice interior design.

Remember how I said I was kinda thinking about a Fiesta ST and would be saving for a Focus RS if it were AWD?

well Subaru just today confirmed an STI BRZ. Time to start saving folks, assuming it costs less than $40k that will be the car of the f***ing decade.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
I rent alot of cars and Ive come away impressed lately with the hyundai's ive driven. Alot of features and a strong engine.

I've only thought about this in general terms since it's a few years off, but I think I'm going to go with a Hyundai (either the Tucson or Santa Fe, or whatever their small SUV is called at that point).

Whatever it is, it sure as hell won't be another Volkswagen.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
I rent alot of cars and Ive come away impressed lately with the hyundai's ive driven. Alot of features and a strong engine.

When I was looking, I test drove the Elantra, Sonata, and Sonata Turbo. The Elantra didn't have enough hp for me, the Sonata was decent for a commuter car and the Sonata Turbo was definitely a fun car to drive.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 12:45 PM)
Welp, nevermind, insurance just said the car must be same make and model.

Good thing I liked my Civic...

Thats surprising, when I totaled my car I just got a check from them after they paid off my infiniti. Thats when I moved to my jeep 1.0

:unsure:

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 12:45 PM)
Welp, nevermind, insurance just said the car must be same make and model.

Good thing I liked my Civic...

I've never heard of such a thing. I've totaled two cars in my life and both times I've just gotten a check for the value to do with as I please.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 01:51 PM)
:unsure:

I've never heard of such a thing. I've totaled two cars in my life and both times I've just gotten a check for the value to do with as I please.

Same here. In fact, that doesn't even sound legal.

I know most insurance companies will also try to get you to take your car to a specific "preferred" body shop but you aren't required to go there. I didn't like the shop my insurance always recommended so I would just tell them that I'd be going to another shop that was literally half a mile down the road from the recommended one.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 04:01 PM)
Same here. In fact, that doesn't even sound legal.

I know most insurance companies will also try to get you to take your car to a specific "preferred" body shop but you aren't required to go there. I didn't like the shop my insurance always recommended so I would just tell them that I'd be going to another shop that was literally half a mile down the road from the recommended one.

My dad is my lawyer, so if it were illegal, I hope he'd catch it.

The good news is that I do like the new 2013 Civic, just kind of didn't expect HAVING to get it and not look.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 04:06 PM)
My dad is my lawyer, so if it were illegal, I hope he'd catch it.

The good news is that I do like the new 2013 Civic, just kind of didn't expect HAVING to get it and not look.

Is this gap insurance through the dealer or something?

I'm still torn on what to get my wife. Government Motors just started a 5k off promotion on the Volt. Added with the Federal tax credit of $7,500 and the Illinois rebate for electric cars (10% of the base price of the car, so about $4k), I could basically get one for $24k. And the nice part is that my wife's commute (20-25 miles max) is less than the 38 mile range on the car. According to Chevy you can charge the thing for $1.60/day (assume that's a really low estimate and double it and that's still about a grand a year for "fuel"). Very, very tempting.

Ford isn't offering any good finance deals on the ford fusion hybrid or the energi (the plug-in model) doesn't get any of the tax credits (as far as I can tell).

Decisions, decisions.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 02:06 PM)
I'm still torn on what to get my wife. Government Motors just started a 5k off promotion on the Volt. Added with the Federal tax credit of $7,500 and the Illinois rebate for electric cars (10% of the base price of the car, so about $4k), I could basically get one for $24k. And the nice part is that my wife's commute (20-25 miles max) is less than the 38 mile range on the car. According to Chevy you can charge the thing for $1.60/day (assume that's a really low estimate and double it and that's still about a grand a year for "fuel"). Very, very tempting.

Ford isn't offering any good finance deals on the ford fusion hybrid or the energi (the plug-in model) doesn't get any of the tax credits (as far as I can tell).

Decisions, decisions.

My cousin designed the Volt, its a solid car but has had some battery issues in the first few models. Be aware of that.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)

Decisions, decisions.

Also, Exelon may offer you a special rate for charging it. Our company offers a lower rate for electric vehicle owners between 10 PM and 6 AM and that includes all the electricity you use during that time, not just charging your car.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 02:06 PM)

Decisions, decisions.

Keep this in mind too... we looked at the Volt, briefly, and rejected it because the rear seat room is severely lacking. You have a kid and might have another, right? We had one with another on the way when we last bought, and had to reject the Volt out of hand because it had even less "leg" room than the vehicle we were already in that was too small.

It is probably a very good commuter car choice, and oddly, would probably work fine for kids old enough to be fully in forward-facing seats or just boosters (or no kid seats at all). But for smaller kids still in bulky buckets that protrude a lot or are backwards-facing, it just doesn't work.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)

Decisions, decisions.

I almost don't want to tell you this, but GM is looking for a fully redone Volt in the 2015 model year at some point. It might well bring the price down substantially again as well as outperform this version by quite a bit.

Right now the Volt is built on another car's platform, which means the battery weight is not well distributed, it's stuck in where space could be found. The next version is supposed to be a fully independent platform for the Volt designed around its specific needs.

If your wife's commute is 20-25 a day, and you have another vehicle that you'd use for long distances, have you thought about a Nissan Leaf? It's a bit smaller but a really nice car, it's cheaper than the Volt, they're flying off shelves and many of the tax credits still work.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 12:43 PM)
I almost don't want to tell you this, but GM is looking for a fully redone Volt in the 2015 model year at some point. It might well bring the price down substantially again as well as outperform this version by quite a bit.

Right now the Volt is built on another car's platform, which means the battery weight is not well distributed, it's stuck in where space could be found. The next version is supposed to be a fully independent platform for the Volt designed around its specific needs.

If your wife's commute is 20-25 a day, and you have another vehicle that you'd use for long distances, have you thought about a Nissan Leaf? It's a bit smaller but a really nice car, it's cheaper than the Volt, they're flying off shelves and many of the tax credits still work.

Do you own stock in Nissan? :)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 12:18 PM)
Also, Exelon may offer you a special rate for charging it. Our company offers a lower rate for electric vehicle owners between 10 PM and 6 AM and that includes all the electricity you use during that time, not just charging your car.

Also, a lot of companies have added electric charging stations in the office parking lots so you may in fact be able to charge the car for free at work.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2013 -> 12:45 PM)
Do you own stock in Nissan? :)

Major flaw in the Leaf is it lacks all of the flexibility of a Volt (e.g., the fact that you can actually go more then 30 miles....albeit using gas...but that is a pretty huge safety net).