Automobile Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 08:15 AM)
I really really liked it, but for about 25k more money and actually fewer features, it just didnt make sense.

The X5 is overdue for an overhaul. The technology is pretty stale at this point.

You would have regretted it in a year.

• 4 weeks later...

I only have 1 car buying experience, and it was for a used car at Carmax (it was great experience, fwiw). I've always been a proponent of buying a used car, but I'm looking at new 2016 F-150's because there seem to be some very good deals on 2016's with the 2017 models coming out and it being year-end.

There's one in particular I'm looking at, and it's list price is $9,000 less than what KBB lists the invoice price as. 1) How is that possible? 2) I plan to try to talk them down from the current list-price, but should I expect any movement when it's already that much lower than invoice?

Something seems wrong here. Maybe I'm missing something. No way the dealer is just losing money on this truck, right?

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)
I only have 1 car buying experience, and it was for a used car at Carmax (it was great experience, fwiw). I've always been a proponent of buying a used car, but I'm looking at new 2016 F-150's because there seem to be some very good deals on 2016's with the 2017 models coming out and it being year-end.

There's one in particular I'm looking at, and it's list price is $9,000 less than what KBB lists the invoice price as. 1) How is that possible? 2) I plan to try to talk them down from the current list-price, but should I expect any movement when it's already that much lower than invoice?

Something seems wrong here. Maybe I'm missing something. No way the dealer is just losing money on this truck, right?

"invoice" price is a funny thing. I think you might be better using TrueCar data, and see how much of an outlier that price really is.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 01:25 PM)
"invoice" price is a funny thing. I think you might be better using TrueCar data, and see how much of an outlier that price really is.

Thanks. Just checked that out. Looks like it's still about $4,000 lower than the average price people in my area have been paying for the same truck. Guessing this is truly a pretty good deal.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 12, 2016 -> 02:09 PM)
Thanks. Just checked that out. Looks like it's still about $4,000 lower than the average price people in my area have been paying for the same truck. Guessing this is truly a pretty good deal.

Pulled the trigger on this last Friday. Couldn't be happier with it so far. Love it.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 10, 2017 -> 08:54 PM)
Is that an A4 or A6?

I still really like the Q3, but lately I've been drooling over getting a 2 door sporty convertible. 100% stupid for Chicago but dammit I want one :P

2017 A4 2.0T quattro. There is an A5 sport Cabriolet, but yeah, in Chicago that's a little silly. The Quattro is excellent and the handling is nuts. This one makes 255 hp and it's on the Torsen quattro setup.

So...with 13-14 month timeclock ticking on my Mitsubishi Galant before I take delivery on my Tesla, my quick google search (not car savvy at all) tells me I might have a failing constant velocity joint. I've yet to take it to a mechanic, but looks like it might be a $400 fix.

Anyone who knows about cars have an opinion on me buying a CV joint off Autozone (around $100) and having my brother install it?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 10, 2017 -> 06:54 PM)
Is that an A4 or A6?

I still really like the Q3, but lately I've been drooling over getting a 2 door sporty convertible. 100% stupid for Chicago but dammit I want one :P

Don't do it Russ. ALWAYS problems with the dumb tops on those things.

If you want an open air vehicle, get a Wrangler.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Feb 10, 2017 -> 08:01 PM)
2017 A4 2.0T quattro. There is an A5 sport Cabriolet, but yeah, in Chicago that's a little silly. The Quattro is excellent and the handling is nuts. This one makes 255 hp and it's on the Torsen quattro setup.

Nice! You like the tech inside? My Q7 and your A4 are the first to get the overhaul. So far, pretty happy with it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 12, 2017 -> 03:17 PM)
Don't do it Russ. ALWAYS problems with the dumb tops on those things.

If you want an open air vehicle, get a Wrangler.

Yea I won't, just want one :P

If I ever move out west I'd get a car like that, but just so not worth it here in Chicago.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 12, 2017 -> 01:32 PM)
Yea I won't, just want one :P

If I ever move out west I'd get a car like that, but just so not worth it here in Chicago.

I had a tt convertible...it was fun for about a year...when the damn top started breaking every other day.

If you ever do get a convertible, get one with a hard top.