NBA Thread 2013-2014

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)
Basically, the question here is whether they will do a "cleanup" or "repair"

Neither is ideal, but we'd probably prefer a repair.

Cleanup is usually a fairly quick recovery, but that means they deemed part of the meniscus irreparable and cut it out. It doesn't grow back. You'll have less of it forever. If you have a very little tear, it's not a big deal.

Repair is much longer because you want the meniscus to actually heal at the site of the tear, so you stitch it together and basically just wait for it to heal. This is what they did with Westbrook, even though it was supposedly a relatively minor tear. The doc in the interview mentioned that he assumed it would be a repair based on the team saying he would be out "indefinitely" -- this entails multiple months of recovery.

It is hard to image the severity of the injury, so post-surgery will be a very informative moment.

The key is where the tear is located as you said. The mensicus is avascular except for the out third or so. When they do a repair they need to cut a line down from the outer third to channel blood to the area to allow it to heal. This is why the healing process take so long. Tissue healing normal takes 6-8 weeks. This is 8 weeks or greater if it's a significant tear. It depends on how long the tear is, how far from the perimeter it is and even if it an undersurface vs. a surface tear. But 8 weeks minimum is a good time frame to start.

The reason the lateral mensicus is trickier is that it is attached only on the ends of the C shape. It needs to be highly mobile to support the knee rotation yet it needs to be firm enough to add stability to the knee. The medial is attached all the way along the border fo the C so it is easier to repair as you just tie everything down.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 05:08 PM)
No way. If you can repair it I would. In my own experience I wish I would have gotten a second opinion. I have always had pain since they snipped it.

With the techniques today you always repair it if you can. Studies have shown that the most you remove the more unstable it is. Cadaver studies have shown that the menisci have as much to do with the stability of the knee as the ACL,PCL, MCL and LCL. Back in the day before arthroscopy (I'm showing my age) they used to take out the entire meniscus and the knee was very unstable and these patients are now on their second or third knee replacements.

I think it'd be smart for the front office to protect Rose at all cost this time around. Meaning overstate the severity and the recovery time if they have to. I can't imagine how the fans would react if Rose returns after the ASB and the typical recovery time for normal tear is 8 weeks.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 05:17 PM)
They are the Bulls, their coach is Tom Thibodeau, and the East is complete garbage. They're still winning 40-some odd games regardless.

This.

If you run a lineup of...

Teague

Snell

Butler

PF from trade (Taj and Booz gone)

Nazr or player from trade.

You aren't gonna win a damn game.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 08:15 PM)

Teague

Snell

Butler

Where did Jo disappear to

The Chicago Bulls will not wait on deciding if Derrick Rose (torn meniscus) will have surgery on his knee.

Rose doesn't have a lot of swelling and he won't have to "prehab" before going under the knife. While the surgery is expected to occur soon, the specifics of the operation are not known yet. Consequently, there is no timetable for Rose to return, but the Bulls obviously won't be rushing him back. He will likely miss at least half the season, so fantasy owners will have a tough decision on their hands. Kirk Hinrich picks up the most value while just about every Bull will have more responsibility scoring the ball.

Per Rotoworld

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 09:15 PM)

Teague

Snell

Butler

Who is picking up Boozer's contract? The Bulls can't amnesthetize him until next summer and any team that trades for him can't use the amnesty on him next summer.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 08:55 PM)
I think it'd be smart for the front office to protect Rose at all cost this time around. Meaning overstate the severity and the recovery time if they have to. I can't imagine how the fans would react if Rose returns after the ASB and the typical recovery time for normal tear is 8 weeks.

Somehow I don't have much reason to think that "coming back too early" will be part of the problem here.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 09:12 PM)
Somehow I don't have much reason to think that "coming back too early" will be part of the problem here.

I don't think this will be the problem, but I could fathom him having a desire to rush back so he can prove that he isn't injury-prone

QUOTE (ptatc @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 07:05 PM)
With the techniques today you always repair it if you can. Studies have shown that the most you remove the more unstable it is. Cadaver studies have shown that the menisci have as much to do with the stability of the knee as the ACL,PCL, MCL and LCL. Back in the day before arthroscopy (I'm showing my age) they used to take out the entire meniscus and the knee was very unstable and these patients are now on their second or third knee replacements.

I wish I did this. However since I played on it for two weeks with painkillers that's why it probably was f***ed. I then tore it in my right knee probably after coming back too soon.

My problem was insurance only covered so much rehab so I was cleared way too quickly. To this day still seeing doctors to try and help my knee pain.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 08:18 PM)
Where did Jo disappear to

Traded, but I could see him sticking around.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2013 -> 09:11 PM)
Who is picking up Boozer's contract? The Bulls can't amnesthetize him until next summer and any team that trades for him can't use the amnesty on him next summer.

Kirk and Booz to Houston for Asik and Lin. Asik is disgruntled, Boozer is playing well this year, Howard likes Booz. Kirk will let Harden do his thing. Flip Lin and Asik later.

This is all dependent on how long Rose is out and what they do without him. If it looks like he'll come back AND they're playing well, then I can see them keeping the team together. If not, everyone but Butler and Jo is definitely gone, and Jo could easily be gone.