NBA Thread 2013-2014

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Nov 26, 2013 -> 08:25 PM)
I hear you DA.

Just to make it clear, there is no way Bulls are are going after any of the big FA's in summer of 2014, simply because they won't have the cap room correct?

If they let Deng walk and used the amnesty on Boozer, they'd have around $10 mil to work with. However, around half of that would go to Mirotic if he joins the NBA. You're not getting much for $5 million. If Mirotic doesn't sign, they might be able to bargain shop (guys like Millsap and Martin signed for under $10 mil last year).

It'd be even harder because many of the top guys (the Heat trio, Melo, Dirk, Gay, Gasol, Randolph) could make $20 mil plus instead of the "new" max around $15 mil.

The only way they can get significantly over $10 mil is if they traded Rose, Noah or Gibson for an expiring deal.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 26, 2013 -> 08:42 PM)
If they let Deng walk and used the amnesty on Boozer, they'd have around $10 mil to work with. However, around half of that would go to Mirotic if he joins the NBA. You're not getting much for $5 million. If Mirotic doesn't sign, they might be able to bargain shop (guys like Millsap and Martin signed for under $10 mil last year).

It'd be even harder because many of the top guys (the Heat trio, Melo, Dirk, Gay, Gasol, Randolph) could make $20 mil plus instead of the "new" max around $15 mil.

The only way they can get significantly over $10 mil is if they traded Rose, Noah or Gibson for an expiring deal.

Thank you.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 26, 2013 -> 09:18 PM)
Which suddenly sounds like a fairly good idea if it can be done.

Eh. No one is trading for Rose right now, and it would take some pretty significant pick value to trade Noah for an expiring. Gibson maybe, though I doubt they do it.

Current NBA "superstar" caliber players (either are now or once were) and where they were drafted:

LBJ - 1st, 2003 (high school)

Derrick Rose - 1st, 2008

Kevin Durant - 2nd, 2007

Kobe Bryant - 13th, 1996 (high school)

Chris Paul - 4th, 2005

Dwight Howard - 1st, 2004 (high school)

Carmelo Anthony - 3rd, 2003

Dirk Nowitzki - 9th, 1998

Tim Duncan - 1st, 1997

Dwyane Wade - 5th, 2003

Kevin Love - 5th, 2008

James Harden - 3rd, 2009

Stephen Curry - 7th, 2009

Deron Williams - 3rd, 2005

Russell Westbrook - 4th pick, 2008

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 01:42 PM)

Let me throw out Jameer Nelson's name as a discussion point.

Hennigan basically wants a future 1st round pick for him. He's got $8M on his contract for next season but only $2M of that would be guaranteed.

I think that's the sort of contract Chicago would have to look at if they were to trade for expiring assets, so to speak. There's no chance anyone's going to give up a Lottery Pick in this season's draft also.

I think unfortunately for the Bulls, Gibson's contract is the one that's going to come back to hurt them in terms of real cap flexibility.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 26, 2013 -> 10:27 PM)
Eh. No one is trading for Rose right now, and it would take some pretty significant pick value to trade Noah for an expiring. Gibson maybe, though I doubt they do it.

I'd very much consider trading Noah for an expiring contract and a first rounder at this point. Maybe it'd take 2 first rounders but that's a move they should absolutely consider. With his health history, age, and contract, he only makes sense to the Bulls if they're looking at a loaded team next year, which right now no longer looks to be the case. But...you put him on a team that needs defense and rebounding and that's a major upgrade.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 26, 2013 -> 11:20 PM)
Current NBA "superstar" caliber players (either are now or once were) and where they were drafted:

LBJ - 1st, 2003 (high school)

Derrick Rose - 1st, 2008

Kevin Durant - 2nd, 2007

Kobe Bryant - 13th, 1996 (high school)

Chris Paul - 4th, 2005

Dwight Howard - 1st, 2004 (high school)

Carmelo Anthony - 3rd, 2003

Dirk Nowitzki - 9th, 1998

Tim Duncan - 1st, 1997

Dwyane Wade - 5th, 2003

Kevin Love - 5th, 2008

James Harden - 3rd, 2009

Stephen Curry - 7th, 2009

Deron Williams - 3rd, 2005

Russell Westbrook - 4th pick, 2008

Anthony Davis - 1st pick, 2012

fixed

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 01:41 PM)
I don't understand these people saying to hang onto Deng.

Mediocre shooter? Check

Below average ball-handler? Check

Wants a pay raise even though he's still got a bum wrist that he wont get surgery on, a consistent injury history, and has never been anything more than solid/good? Check

BUT THIBS LOVES HIM!!! HE PLAYS HARD!!!

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 02:20 PM)
Mediocre shooter? Check

Below average ball-handler? Check

Wants a pay raise even though he's still got a bum wrist that he wont get surgery on, a consistent injury history, and has never been anything more than solid/good.

BUT THIBS LOVES HIM!!! HE PLAYS HARD!!!

He's a good player worthy of an 8 digit annual salary, but the Bulls should not be that team. If they didn't already have Kawhi Leonard, I'd say he fits the Spurs system. Leonard is such a monster though.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 02:22 PM)
He's a good player worthy of an 8 digit annual salary, but the Bulls should not be that team. If they didn't already have Kawhi Leonard, I'd say he fits the Spurs system. Leonard is such a monster though.

Of course he's a good player. He's just not a 13-15 million dollar a year player. Never has been. Look at what Andre Iguodala signed for: 4 years at 12 million per. And Iggy is superior player all the way around. If some team (better not be the Bulls) offers him 4/40, he should take it and like it. That's about what a player of his caliber is worth.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 02:30 PM)
Of course he's a good player. He's just not a 13-15 million dollar a year player. Never has been. Look at what Andre Iguodala signed for: 4 years at 12 million per. And Iggy is superior player all the way around. If some team (better not be the Bulls) offers him 4/40, he should take it and like it. That's about what a player of his caliber is worth.

Add to that the insane minutes he's played under Skiles, the coach that shall not be named, and Thibs, and Deng is headed directly for a wall. His next contract will definitely be a disaster, and if it's with the Bulls I'll kill myself.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 01:41 PM)
I don't understand these people saying to hang onto Deng.

I don't recall seeing anyone explicitly say we should keep Deng. I know I said deal hi m right after Derrick got hurt. No real point in keeping him since he's probably gone after this year anyways. Only way I'd keep him is if he signed for around 8 mil. Even then, trading him could bring better value. If Marcin Gortat can net a first, I would think Deng can.