NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
maybe he had the quicker recovery surgery that Rose opted against, the meniscus shaving.

I don't know. It did say repair.

also , here is my favorite part

"he's not going to rush back -- especially since this is the second right meniscus repair he's had in the last two years."

:lol:

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
As opposed to you acting like the hater fat pimple faced girl when ever the Bulls are mentioned? You've jumped on more bandwagons that Kim Kardashian.

lol. Yeah, because the Bulls are due some neverending praise for their accomplishments since the bald guy retired 16 f***ing years ago. Lame ass fans such as yourself are the reason this franchise is so boring.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 01:54 PM)
Noah is worth more then that to the Bulls. He's having a very strong season (after recovering from a slow start). In no world would I deal Noah for a late 1st rounder and free cap space, not this year. I believe all Bulls need to do is clear Hinrich, Dunleavy and Gibson for expirings and they would have more then enough to offer Melo a max deal (+ sign Mirotic). Only way I'm moving Noah is if I'm getting other talented players at high prices (e.g., in a Kevin Love deal) or I'm getting a combination of either lottery picks or really good young players on cheap deals (+ expirings). No reason Noah shouldn't be part of the Bulls long term plans if you can't get that.

Caproom won't do us s*** this year. Melo is really the only target worth throwing big money at (unless LBJ truly comes out) so it at least makes sense to be positioned to grab 1 player. If you can't find this stuff, then you basically have to keep caproom until the following years class which is much stronger (isn't that Love/Westbook/George + guys like Durant can opt out).

That's going to be really narrow and I don't think the Bulls will be able to do it by moving Gibson alone. Rose, Noah, Butler, Snell, and Teague totals $36.725 million. A max deal for Melo is $22458401. That would push the Bulls to $59.2 million before any draft holds this year, and if the Bulls have 2 picks in the 10-20 range each of them will be another $1.5 million in held money.

That puts them to $62 million. Dumping Teague for scraps doesn't get you there either. Dumping Teague, using any draft picks from this year on foreign players, not bringing over Mirotic unless he can be had for the MLE, and possibly dumping Snell might get you there.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 01:36 PM)
lol. Yeah, because the Bulls are due some neverending praise for their accomplishments since the bald guy retired 16 f***ing years ago. Lame ass fans such as yourself are the reason this franchise is so boring.

Right. Because I have been praising this organization.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 02:05 PM)
Right. Because I have been praising this organization.

You're high or something. You call me a bandwagon fan because I respect/give praise to winning organizations. You know, WINNING. That's kind of like the most important thing in sports. If that's a bandwagoner, then I'm a bandwagon Yankees, Patriots, Lakers, s***, even Red Wings fan and Hockey's not even a sport. Then you say I'm a hater even though in 16 damn years the Bulls have been to one conference final and are universally acknowledged as boring/lame/stale/limp and then you turn around and say you don't praise them either. Stop smokin' so much.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 04:10 PM)
You're high or something. You call me a bandwagon fan because I respect/give praise to winning organizations. You know, WINNING. That's kind of like the most important thing in sports. If that's a bandwagoner, then I'm a bandwagon Yankees, Patriots, Lakers, s***, even Red Wings fan and Hockey's not even a sport. Then you say I'm a hater even though in 16 damn years the Bulls have been to one conference final and are universally acknowledged as boring/lame/stale/limp and then you turn around and say you don't praise them either. Stop smokin' so much.

I called you bandwagonner because you slobber on the knobs of anything that wins. You are the Taylor Swift of basketball fans. Then you flip out when others don't give the handjobs that you are giving out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 04:14 PM)
I called you bandwagonner because you slobber on the knobs of anything that wins. You are the Taylor Swift of basketball fans. Then you flip out when others don't give the handjobs that you are giving out.

Ok, you can be one of those dopey fans that perpetually hates on winning teams because your team sucks. I have higher standards than you, obviously. The Bulls are ratchet and I will treat them as ratchet until they do something legitimate.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 12:00 PM)
The Bulls have a President of Player operations who punched out a coach. Their medical staff nearly killed a player. The GM fired the coaches favorite assistant for talking s*** at a local charity event.

They are not a well run organization.

They do have a good mascot.

This is a negative now? I suppose you don't like Kendall Gill either? :D

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 12:49 PM)
(IMO the way to clear enough space to offer a guy like Melo is to trade Noah, and I'm not sure you can do so without moving him. But Noah ought to be worth a late first round pick and an expiring to someone right now, he'd be a major upgrade at Center for most teams not named the Pacers)

Noah is worth more than that -- we just got better than that for the expiring contract of Luol Deng. Plus, the net gains of trading Noah and getting back Melo aren't large enough for it to make sense.

Sign and trade for Melo seems much more likely, with NYK not getting anything too great in return. Dunleavy or something and a future 1st and 2nd

Realistically, to be able to field the most complete team, you would have to trade Noah in order to afford Melo and fill out the rest of the roster. Possibly Taj as well. I'm only concerned about the first 8 men in the rotation. That's what you go with playoff time. And only 5 can play on the court at a time.

Rose

Butler

Melo

Mirotic

If you get a high enough pick, Embiid, but if not, sign a guy like Dalembert who's just a big body.

say we go with a guy like Daly

Then you can also draft two wing players which this draft is deep on.

Say you can get Lavine from UCLA and worst case scenario Kyle Anderson, also from UCLA. Lavine is a shooter who can get off his own shot whenever he wants and he isn't small. He has a thin frame which he can build out once he gets to the league. Anderson has shown this year he can score, but he's a tall point forward who rebounds and creates and plays excellent defense. Bring back Augustin and trade for someone like Jason Thompson to fill up the backup 4/5 spots.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
That's going to be really narrow and I don't think the Bulls will be able to do it by moving Gibson alone. Rose, Noah, Butler, Snell, and Teague totals $36.725 million. A max deal for Melo is $22458401. That would push the Bulls to $59.2 million before any draft holds this year, and if the Bulls have 2 picks in the 10-20 range each of them will be another $1.5 million in held money.

That puts them to $62 million. Dumping Teague for scraps doesn't get you there either. Dumping Teague, using any draft picks from this year on foreign players, not bringing over Mirotic unless he can be had for the MLE, and possibly dumping Snell might get you there.

You can't use both cap space and the MLE in the same off-season. I believe there's another one called the "stretch exception" or something like that, but it's only like $2 million. In other words, you need close to $30 million in cap space for Melo and Mirotic. Rose and Noah alone take up almost half the cap, so...yeah, not happening.

The only way Melo is coming to Chicago is if he's willing to take a pay cut so we can keep Noah and bring Mirotic to the U.S. otherwise, we are relying too much on a healthy Rose and Melo combo, with no defensive anchor and no offense from the PF spot. It's a dangerous gamble to break up the team for Melo.

The other thing is we only offered $10 mil a year on the extension to Deng, who is about the same age as Melo and fits into Thibs philosophy perfectly. So it's hard to imagine the Bulls putting all the marbles in one basket and break up the team for Melo.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 09:04 PM)
You can't use both cap space and the MLE in the same off-season. I believe there's another one called the "stretch exception" or something like that, but it's only like $2 million. In other words, you need close to $30 million in cap space for Melo and Mirotic. Rose and Noah alone take up almost half the cap, so...yeah, not happening.

Is that a new rule? Because somehow Miami was able to do it the year they assembled the big 3 and also gave the MLE to Miller. Similarly that's how the Bulls assembled their bench after signing Boozer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
Is that a new rule? Because somehow Miami was able to do it the year they assembled the big 3 and also gave the MLE to Miller. Similarly that's how the Bulls assembled their bench after signing Boozer.

Yes, I believe that's in the new CBA which was agreed upon in the lockout season. I honestly believe you should move Noah now before you end up in a situation like you did with Deng where he demands more money in his next deal and he's on the wrong side of 30 with the injury concerns. Plus, for the production he gives you, I think he's pretty overrated.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)
Yes, I believe that's in the new CBA which was agreed upon in the lockout season. I honestly believe you should move Noah now before you end up in a situation like you did with Deng where he demands more money in his next deal and he's on the wrong side of 30 with the injury concerns. Plus, for the production he gives you, I think he's pretty overrated.

I think Noah's production is appropriately paid for if he's on a competitive team looking to "win now". Just like the baseball FA market there's a price associated with putting a team ready to win now on the court and the Bulls thought they were that team the last couple years.

Right now they're not. That's why I'd strongly consider moving him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)

That's not what they did. It was all space since the Big 3 signed for starting salaries of about $14.5 mil. They just gave Miller a MLE-type contract. Same thing with the Bulls, remember that Rose and Noah were still on rookie deals. They signed Korver/Brewer/et al with the space they would have used on Lebron.

You can also fudge it with sign and trades, which I think Miami did.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I'd be fine with trading Jo if they had the opportunity to get a 1st rounder in 2014 and some future picks.

He's a monster defensively but I trust in Thibs to get whoever they bring in to play really good defense.

What would really blow though is if they do all this moving and shaking and they end up missing out on Lebron/Melo. I suppose they can build a team on 1 year contracts then hope Love opts out next year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
Wouldn't it be ironic if LeBron wound up back in Cleveland with Irving and Deng?

They would need to dump some people to make it happen, probably some of the high picks they missed on. They would only be at about $20 million in space without Deng even after they buy out Clark and Gee (Varejao is partially guaranteed, but they'll likely need him). The problem is that Jack, Waiters, Thompson and Bennett are $21 million on the books.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 09:33 PM)
With the 19th pick in the 2014 nba draft aka the most loaded draft since '84 or '96, the Chicago Bulls select *insert non-impact roleplayer*

f***in' morons. Can't do s*** right. The demolition should've started 1.5 seconds after Rose went down.

Let;s not go too crazy here, this draft might not even be as good as 2008.

But yes, Bulls winning obviously doesn't do anything. Unfortunately, the East is beyond awful and guys keep getting hurt.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 07:42 PM)
Let;s not go too crazy here, this draft might not even be as good as 2008.

But yes, Bulls winning obviously doesn't do anything. Unfortunately, the East is beyond awful and guys keep getting hurt.

Which has been my point all along. I've been about the only one saying it and I will keep saying it. Even without Deng (when healthy), this is one of the 3-5 best teams in the East. It will be almost impossible for them to collect a lottery pick and I really am surprised the Bulls couldn't have gotten an unprotected 1st rounder for Deng (at some point in the future). If they want to rebuild, I almost think they should look to try and land a bunch of first rounders in the next 2 years (forget this years draft where the 1st rounder will be impossible). If you can move Noah for a bunch of 1st rounders from a team that might be in the lottery in the next few years, that wouldn't look so bad. However, I think the Bulls are probably lining things up to make a big trade or two this off-season.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 12, 2014 -> 11:46 AM)
Which has been my point all along. I've been about the only one saying it and I will keep saying it. Even without Deng (when healthy), this is one of the 3-5 best teams in the East. It will be almost impossible for them to collect a lottery pick and I really am surprised the Bulls couldn't have gotten an unprotected 1st rounder for Deng (at some point in the future). If they want to rebuild, I almost think they should look to try and land a bunch of first rounders in the next 2 years (forget this years draft where the 1st rounder will be impossible). If you can move Noah for a bunch of 1st rounders from a team that might be in the lottery in the next few years, that wouldn't look so bad. However, I think the Bulls are probably lining things up to make a big trade or two this off-season.

The Bulls might well have been able to get an unprotected 1st rounder for Deng based on what they did get for him...........but they would not have been able to do so while simultaneously getting underneath the luxury tax for this year and getting rid of the multi-year offender penalty.