NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 05:42 PM)
The lottery was supposed to stop the worst few teams from tanking. Instead, 15-20 teams each year are tanking to get even the most miniscule shot at a top 5 pick. This is why the lottery has to go.

Mix this with the "super" teams, and the NBA is just a garbage product now a days.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 06:17 PM)
Mix this with the "super" teams, and the NBA is just a garbage product now a days.

Hopefully whoever takes over for David Stern can fix it up. Imo I'd give every non-playoff team equal chance in the lottery most teams wont tank when they are a potential playoff team. Not sure how you go about fixing super teams besides making a 1 max contract per team allowed that is significantly more than the next available contract a team is allowed to offer.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 05:42 PM)
The lottery was supposed to stop the worst few teams from tanking. Instead, 15-20 teams each year are tanking to get even the most miniscule shot at a top 5 pick. This is why the lottery has to go.

There aren't anywhere near 15 teams that are tanking, even this year.

There were only 5 teams legitimately trying to be awful entering the year: Philly, Phoenix, Utah, Boston and Orlando. That's an unusually high number as well because of a strong draft class. A lot of teams are just incompetent (Milwaukee, Sacramento, Cleveland, New York and Detroit), and several more have been murdered by injuries (Chicago, Brooklyn, Lakers, Atlanta, Memphis and recently New Orleans). A couple of those teams don't even have their first round pick, so there's no way they're tanking.

That's not to say tanking isn't an issue, but there's a much easier fix: adjust the lottery odds so it doesn't favor the bottom 4 quite so grossly. Right now the worst team has a 25% chance of getting the #1 pick and 2-4 take up another 47%. The #4 team has a higher chance of getting #1 than teams 8-14 combined. Even out that distribution a bit and I doubt you see as many tankers with the incentive reduced. Make the worst record worth about a 13% chance (I'm bad at math) of getting #1 instead of 25% and more incremental drops. Right now, you improve your chances of getting #1 by a factor of 2.75 if you can drop from #7 to #4. If every drop is only worth an extra percentage point, the reward isn't nearly that high.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 06:48 PM)
Hopefully whoever takes over for David Stern can fix it up. Imo I'd give every non-playoff team equal chance in the lottery most teams wont tank when they are a potential playoff team. Not sure how you go about fixing super teams besides making a 1 max contract per team allowed that is significantly more than the next available contract a team is allowed to offer.

Or just scale back/eliminate the max salary restrictions. The current setup underpays the true stars while artificially creating a windfall for the other 90% of the league. It also makes it easier to create enough room for these guys when they can only make about $16 million under the new CBA. Let Lebron get the $25 million he's worth and suddenly he has to give up a lot more money to go play in Miami.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Feels like shots fired...

http://deadspin.com/sometimes-lebron-wishe...dium=socialflow

"I get jealous sometimes when I look over at KD and he's like 16-for-32 (from the field) and then 14-for-34. ... Man," James told ESPN.com's Tom Haberstroh.

"But there are games where I have it going, and then at the end of the game, I'm like, damn, I shot just 12-for-16? Why don't I get up at least six or seven more? I definitely notice it."

And yeah, LeBron is the s*** and way better than anyone else in basketball right now. Anyone who argues is just silly. I do like that he threw that 14/34 in there, though. Durant's shooting 49% on the season, there's not too many 14/34's going on!

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 01:35 AM)
If GarPax are really trying to run Thibs out of town, they only have one choice: trade for JR Smith

Yeah, maybe, but I feel like JR smith would be come an all star under Thibs. Frankly his offense doesn't hurt for shot first guys, as we saw with Nate Robinson.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 07:06 PM)
Or just scale back/eliminate the max salary restrictions. The current setup underpays the true stars while artificially creating a windfall for the other 90% of the league. It also makes it easier to create enough room for these guys when they can only make about $16 million under the new CBA. Let Lebron get the $25 million he's worth and suddenly he has to give up a lot more money to go play in Miami.

I think this is the most important thing. You also see guys like Joe Johnson getting max contracts because teams need to spend their money somehow, Joe Johnson ends up being the best free agent on the market, and you have to offer a max to sign him.

If you remove max contracts and allow teams to sign guys how they want and to what they want, suddenly your stars spread out and don't organize in one place. It'd be even better if they could make contracts non-guaranteed or partially guaranteed so you can release guys and only take on part of the hit. The value of an expiring deal then decreases because teams can just release the player, and it incentivizes players staying in shape rather than working hard for 1 big deal and then hitting the Krispy Kremes.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
LeBron would get 40 million per on an open market.

But that's fine. NBAs salary system is just horrible and oddly enough destroys the small market teams it tries to help out.

Like the small market Bulls.

The NBA could have put a system in place, during the last CBS negotiations, where they make it almost impossible for teams to collect 3 big money players (Boston a few years ago, and now Miami). but they effectively left the previous system in place with a few minor changes.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)
Feels like shots fired...

http://deadspin.com/sometimes-lebron-wishe...dium=socialflow

"I get jealous sometimes when I look over at KD and he's like 16-for-32 (from the field) and then 14-for-34. ... Man," James told ESPN.com's Tom Haberstroh.

"But there are games where I have it going, and then at the end of the game, I'm like, damn, I shot just 12-for-16? Why don't I get up at least six or seven more? I definitely notice it."

And yeah, LeBron is the s*** and way better than anyone else in basketball right now. Anyone who argues is just silly. I do like that he threw that 14/34 in there, though. Durant's shooting 49% on the season, there's not too many 14/34's going on!

Nobody should wish to shoot the ball 35 times a game like Durant has to right now.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)
Yeah #lebroning is awesome.

When kids tried to emulate MJ or Kobe, it meant taking fadeaways or tough shots, with Iverson it was a killer crossover. LeBron inspires them to flop :lol:

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 12:08 PM)
When kids tried to emulate MJ or Kobe, it meant taking fadeaways or tough shots, with Iverson it was a killer crossover. LeBron inspires them to flop :lol:

If it was 2-3 years ago, missing clutch shots would have been another way of #lebroning.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 01:35 PM)
It's amazing how much crap the greatest basketball player in the world (and it isn't even close) receives.

Probably the most disrespected GOAT player ever. About his flopping though, it's well deserved ridicule. Some of his flops are absolutely comical.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 12:43 PM)
Probably the most disrespected GOAT player ever. About his flopping though, it's well deserved ridicule. Some of his flops are absolutely comical.

I think it is just more covered than it used to be. For instance, Jordan was froze out of his first all-star.