NBA Thread 2013-2014

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dumb argument, but I'll play along.

Jordan would be a god now just as he was back then. He would still be untouchable.

And I cannot even imagine just how rampant extramarital affairs are and have been in pro sports for the last million year. It's a nonstory unless you add a bunch of craziness to it like the tiger woods debacle.

And it's ridiculous to think that someone like LeBron doesn't participate in that in just about every single NBA city he goes to. Of course he does.

What LeBron DOES get attacked for is character related to sports and competitiveness. He gets called out for having to play with other stars in order to win, for his whining, for his flopping...

That image is what's most important for the elite player, and Jordan's competitiveness could never be questioned.

I also think that Jordan would be a little smarter about it than kobe/roethlesburger/even favre...

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 09:36 PM)
Dumb argument, but I'll play along.

Jordan would be a god now just as he was back then. He would still be untouchable.

And I cannot even imagine just how rampant extramarital affairs are and have been in pro sports for the last million year. It's a nonstory unless you add a bunch of craziness to it like the tiger woods debacle.

And it's ridiculous to think that someone like LeBron doesn't participate in that in just about every single NBA city he goes to. Of course he does.

What LeBron DOES get attacked for is character related to sports and competitiveness. He gets called out for having to play with other stars in order to win, for his whining, for his flopping...

That image is what's most important for the elite player, and Jordan's competitiveness could never be questioned.

I also think that Jordan would be a little smarter about it than kobe/roethlesburger/even favre...

Zzzzzzzzzzz

As a person - LeBron > Jordan all day, everyday.

Only Jordan jockers think he would be "untouchable." The gambling stuff alone would be magnified times infinity in 2014.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 10:13 PM)
Zzzzzzzzzzz

As a person - LeBron > Jordan all day, everyday.

Only Jordan jockers think he would be "untouchable." The gambling stuff alone would be magnified times infinity in 2014.

lmao being a nice guy doesn't mean s*** in sports

He wouldn't be untouchable because people like him. He'd be untouchable because $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 12:04 AM)
lmao being a nice guy doesn't mean s*** in sports

He wouldn't be untouchable because people like him. He'd be untouchable because $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Justin Bieber is more popular than Michael Jordan ever was and I can't go 13 seconds without some kinda controversial (fake or not) story about him on yahoo, omg, tmz, facebook, twitter, etc, etc, etc. What might've worked in 1995 sure as f*** wouldn't work today.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 04:55 AM)
Justin Bieber is more popular than Michael Jordan ever was and I can't go 13 seconds without some kinda controversial (fake or not) story about him on yahoo, omg, tmz, facebook, twitter, etc, etc, etc. What might've worked in 1995 sure as f*** wouldn't work today.

This is so not true. Maybe he is amongst 13 year old girls but that is it. At Jordan's peak he was arguably the most famous/popular person on the planet.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 06:55 AM)
This is so not true. Maybe he is amongst 13 year old girls but that is it. At Jordan's peak he was arguably the most famous/popular person on the planet.

That's Bieber today. And with social media, youtube, etc, he's more popular than MJ or just about anyone ever.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 07:22 AM)
That's Bieber today. And with social media, youtube, etc, he's more popular than MJ or just about anyone ever.

So you just ruined your case. If he is more popular, how has the social media ruined him like you claim it would MJ? This guy is way more scandalous than MJ ever was, and MJ was smart enough to keep most of his discressions, discreet.

It is funny the argument is MJ would be exposed for all these things he WAS exposed for back in the day. And it didn't matter. MJ is the king. Get over it. The greatest of all time.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 07:51 AM)
So you just ruined your case. If he is more popular, how has the social media ruined him like you claim it would MJ? This guy is way more scandalous than MJ ever was, and MJ was smart enough to keep most of his discressions, discreet.

It is funny the argument is MJ would be exposed for all these things he WAS exposed for back in the day. And it didn't matter. MJ is the king. Get over it. The greatest of all time.

Who the f*** ever said MJ would be ruined today? lol. All I, Kyyle, or anybvody else that doesn't still wear Air Jordan's or sing the "be like mike" song in the shower has said is that most of the s*** that was kept secret/hidden from the public or came out WAYYYYYYY after the fact would not be possible today and that the way we view/see him overall would be different.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 08:03 AM)
Who the f*** ever said MJ would be ruined today? lol. All I, Kyyle, or anybvody else that doesn't still wear Air Jordan's or sing the "be like mike" song in the shower has said is that most of the s*** that was kept secret/hidden from the public or came out WAYYYYYYY after the fact would not be possible today and that the way we view/see him overall would be different.

That is exactly what Kyle was saying. He said MJ would be villianized for cheating on his wife like Tiger Woods. That is what this entire argument is about.

So everything is out there now about MJ, yet for a guy who hasn't played for 10 years, he's still raking in the cash. From 2010, 12 years after his heyday:

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/53/celeb-...ordan_UGGU.html

Yeah, knowing Mike cheated on his wife and was rough on teammates and mean to Jerry Krause really made him less popular. GMAB.

He still makes $80 million a year in endorsements.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
You guys seriously don't think Bieber is more famous than Jordan? Bieber is the most famous person on the planet right now.

And then I see J4L said the exact same thing.

Like it or not, Miley is the most famous person on the planet.

Bieber was the number 4 most googled person in 2013.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 08:13 AM)
You guys seriously don't think Bieber is more famous than Jordan? Bieber is the most famous person on the planet right now.

Well I did say just about more famous/popular than anyone ever. In my 30 years on earth, I've never seen anything like Bieber Fever (I feel sissy as hell just for typing that) . A Bieber vid goes up on YT and it gets like a million hits in 5 minutes.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 08:25 AM)
Well I did say just about more famous/popular than anyone ever. In my 30 years on earth, I've never seen anything like Bieber Fever (I feel sissy as hell just for typing that) . A Bieber vid goes up on YT and it gets like a million hits in 5 minutes.

Unless you are watching them, how would you know? J4L secret Bieber fan. Busted.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 08:13 AM)

First of all, we are talking at their peak. I'll never believe that Bieber is more famous/popular now than Jordan was up until his retirement. If you took a poll of people in this country and just asked them if they knew who Justin Bieber was, I'd bet money that more people could tell you who Jordan is or who Oprah is. And to say Bieber is more famous than Obama would be ludicrous. The vast majority of the world's population could tell you who Obama is.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 08:24 AM)
Like it or not, Miley is the most famous person on the planet.

Bieber was the number 4 most googled person in 2013.

Oh yeah, I forgot all her s***. When I think of pop culture, I always just think of Bieber. I have used all my willpower to ignore everything Miley.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 08:33 AM)
First of all, we are talking at their peak. I'll never believe that Bieber is more famous/popular now than Jordan was up until his retirement. If you took a poll of people in this country and just asked them if they knew who Justin Bieber was, I'd bet money that more people could tell you who Jordan is or who Oprah is. And to say Bieber is more famous than Obama would be ludicrous. The vast majority of the world's population could tell you who Obama is.

I genuinely disagree with all of this.

Bieber's popularity is with teens. That is why he and Miley are so googled. I doubt many 30 and ups google Biebs, and only the perverts that age google Miley.

According to Forbes, Biebs made $58 million in 2013. MJ pulled in $80 million. I guess being a youtube sensation doesn't pay off like selling shoes.

Edited by Dick Allen