Fielder to Texas for Kinsler

flavum

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 09:54 PM)
Infante had a really good year offensively, and is generally pretty solid. Was he so bad on defense that they wanted to get kinsler and not pay him as a FA?

Infante only played in 118 games this season, and he isn't getting any younger. I think they would rather have him as a super utility player as opposed to full time starter

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 07:51 PM)
I think in this runs environment, the price of middle of the field, young impact players is eclipsing young pitching by a fairly reasonable margin. Not sure how many GM's feel this way, but I certainly would. If I had a potential impact catcher, SS, or cf, it would take a very talented young pitcher to bring him back.

Maybe Mozeliak feels that way since the Cards seem to be stockpiling SS's which means they don't think Kozma or even their AAA SS Greg Garcia is the "young controllable SS" they desire but they did just add him to the 40 man roster to protect him from the Rule V draft. I think Alexei would thrive in the NL and if i were in Hahn's shoes I would ask for Garcia and Piscotty and let Mozeliak weigh how important Alexei might be to winning the championship that eluded them last year but I still don't think the Cards are willing to trade unless they give up pitching .

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 09:54 PM)
Infante had a really good year offensively, and is generally pretty solid. Was he so bad on defense that they wanted to get kinsler and not pay him as a FA?

No, but they dumped $76m of a rapidly declining DH (the third one on their 25 man roster) in a time where they sorely need money to retain Scherzer, while also opening up a spot for their best prospect, who just happens to be Major League ready. This is an absolute boon for the Tigers and I hate it :(

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 06:09 AM)
Detroit will be sending $30MM to Texas, tweets Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports. With that cash, Texas will effectively be paying Fielder $138MM over seven years. From the Tigers' side of things, they'll have a total savings of $76MM.

Since Prince made $23 million per season in Detroit, the Tigers will ultimately pay $76 million for 2 years of his service. They do technically "save" on their ultimate commitment, but even though Prince performed pretty well, was he worth it?

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 07:36 AM)
The Iglesias-Kinsler tandem will be a yearly struggle to combine for a .650 OPS

I didn't realize Kinsler's home/away splits were so drastic. Almost a 200 point difference lifetime. He is a career .242/.312/.710 guy away from Texas. That is basically what Gordon Beckham has done in his career.

Edited by Dick Allen

This is a great trade for Texas, it gives them something that the franchise is void of in a power LH bat, with not much in the system to help out and they deal from their organizations deepest position. Fielders numbers have been hindered playing in Detroit while Kinslers were propped up playing in Arlington. Texas gets Fielder for less than they were committed to paying Kinsler over the next three seasons and at a rate that is below market value. It makes sense in the short term for both teams as they can now both slide their top prospects into everyday roles and reduce what they would have needed to spend in FA.

This is a much better acquisition than what signing McCann would have been and it saves Texas money in the short term so they can find OF and SP help.

Players in general will hit better at home, and while I doubt that he'll hit as well in Detroit as he did in Texas, I think the idea that he's somehow going to forget how to hit because he is going from Texas to Detroit is misguided.

This isn't a bad deal for Texas, but it is an absolutely phenomenal deal for Detroit. You are talking about league average or better production at 2B, cutting costs, getting yourself out of a monstrosity of a contact, and allowing yourself to sign players up long term while opening a spot for your top prospect.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 08:57 AM)
It will be interesting to see how Fielder does when the oppressive summer heat sets in. That heat has pushed down many good hitters

For all the jokes about him breaking down because he is fat, he deserves major credit for playing every day.

2006 - 157 GP

2007 - 158 GP

2008 - 159 GP

2009 - 162 GP

2010 - 161 GP

2011 - 162 GP

2012 - 162 GP

2013 - 162 GP

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 09:10 AM)
For all the jokes about him breaking down because he is fat, he deserves major credit for playing every day.

2006 - 157 GP

2007 - 158 GP

2008 - 159 GP

2009 - 162 GP

2010 - 161 GP

2011 - 162 GP

2012 - 162 GP

2013 - 162 GP

I dont think he will break down per se. I have just read the stories that Rangers players just tire out by mid august, they dont have the pop/speed/strength that they did when the season started.

Not that it doesnt happen to other players on other teams, just that it is more drastic in Texas because they are playing in 100 degree weather constantly

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 11:56 AM)

Interesting, not sure if true, but very interesting. It could hold some truth since I'm still a little surprised the Tigers traded Garcia, who would have had a spot on that team (Hunter won't play forever, LF could be viewed as a hole there, and he was Miggy's "protege").

We definitely got the great end of that deal (Avisail Garcia or Jose Iglesias? Yeah, easy choice) and it seemed like Avi filled a long-running need for them, which is a corner OF. They needed one last year, they need one now, and they'll need two when Torii is gone.