Frank Thomas Is a Hall of Famer

southsider2k5

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 05:26 PM)
Players didn't use amphetamines to hit more home runs, players used them to so they could get enough energy to play their X game in a row after a long bus trip in the middle of the dog days of the hot summer. And amphetamines have been used in baseball since the early 1900's. I'm not saying the usage was right or wrong, but I can overlook the use of amphetamines a whole lot more than I can the usage of steroids.

Gotcha. So players who might have struggled due to lack of energy took amphetamines to enhance their ability to keep playing everyday, which in the long run most likely increased their stats that may have helped them get into the Hall of Fame. A player in their late 30s or 40s may have used that extra energy to reach 3,000 hits or 300 wins late in their career. While other players might have avoided them, which may have hurt their longevity in the game or endurance each season.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 08:43 PM)
Just like Soxtalk to take a thread that should be one of the most joyous in its history, and then derail it so thoroughly.

Blame the Hall of Fame voters, those assholes just grind my f***ing gears, even though I shouldn't care. Although they did get this one right and make the Big Hurt a first ballot HOFer, biggest honor in the game. From this point on, I will save my HOF vitrol for another thread.

CONGRATS FRANK!!! :gosox3:

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
So some performance enhancing drugs are OK, just as long as they weren't too strong?

I didn't say they were okay, I just said they should not be lumped together as if they are the same thing. The effects they would have on outcomes are much, much different

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 09:07 PM)
This is all still so surreal. Best day since the blackout game and the happiest I've been as a sports fan since October 26th during that glorious year.

Brings back memories of when they retired Frank's number. Bought expensive StubHub tickets for that game just to be there, it was so awesome to see him honored. Would love to head to Cooperstown but not the best summer for me to make that happen.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 08:56 PM)
Blame the Hall of Fame voters, those assholes just grind my f***ing gears, even though I shouldn't care. Although they did get this one right and make the Big Hurt a first ballot HOFer, biggest honor in the game. From this point on, I will save my HOF vitrol for another thread.

CONGRATS FRANK!!! :gosox3:

:cheers