Christmas Gift Thread

SoxFan1

Surprised this hasn't been brought up yet. I'm planning gift ideas for the family right now.

Mom gets the grand prize: a new kitchen floor. Dad get's Starbucks k-cups and some outdoor gear. Younger sister gets 17 seconds DVD and a Hawks shirsey. Grandpa gets some sweet Cabela's house slippers.

No idea what to get my grandma or my older (33) sister.

Got my wife some bling. Wife gave me a nice black Fossil watch, the complete series of Seinfeld and a new Kindle Paperwhite. Have to figure out what to do with my old Kindle. Only had it for two years and it's still in great condition. My son's getting all sorts of Ninja Turtle stuff, some cheap generic ninja action figures, a giant Power Ranger and a big Thor figure.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 03:44 PM)
Got my wife some bling. Wife gave me a nice black Fossil watch, the complete series of Seinfeld and a new Kindle Paperwhite. Have to figure out what to do with my old Kindle. Only had it for two years and it's still in great condition. My son's getting all sorts of Ninja Turtle stuff, some cheap generic ninja action figures, a giant Power Ranger and a big Thor figure.

Ninja Turtles for the motherf***in win

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 03:45 PM)
Ninja Turtles for the motherf***in win

The big action figures they have now. They're huge, 9, 10 and 11 inches. Very detailed figures, nice sized weapons too. My wife also got me QOTSA ...Like Clockwork on deluxe vinyl.

I know most of the stuff I’m getting because I was there when it was purchased. Same with my kids because they are getting more and more difficult to buy for the older they get.

There are a few things they are getting that they don’t know about and probably the same for me. I came home the other day and noticed that there was a stack of wrapped presents with my name of them. Then I noticed that my kids had wrapped them with duct tape.

The tradition in our family is that it should take a minimum of 5 minutes to get through the multiple layers of tape, paper and boxes.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 04:44 PM)

I didn't know Power Rangers were still popular. This makes me happy.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)
I know most of the stuff I’m getting because I was there when it was purchased. Same with my kids because they are getting more and more difficult to buy for the older they get.

There are a few things they are getting that they don’t know about and probably the same for me. I came home the other day and noticed that there was a stack of wrapped presents with my name of them. Then I noticed that my kids had wrapped them with duct tape.

The tradition in our family is that it should take a minimum of 5 minutes to get through the multiple layers of tape, paper and boxes.

That's a present itself.

My kids are the same way. A new carbon fiber tank for his paintball gun. Mostly Von Maur clothes for the girl. Can't be much of a surprise otherwise they don't work. There are a few they don't know about but they are small ones.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 06:53 PM)
Sometimes I have a few things to suggest to my parents when they ask, but other times my Mom will just come up with stuff.

Ya this is me basically. Every now and than(like once every 3 years probably) I'll ask for a jersey but usually my mom will just buy me some random White Sox and Bulls stuff that she finds. My dad still just gives me money which is great.

My empty nest mom still likes going all out so I can't wait to see what I get. I gave her a very detailed list. Headliners: Roku, Victorinox SAK multi-tool, some bluetooth speakers for my desktop/cell phone, and 17 seconds DVD. We'll see how it turns out.

We're getting her a mobile wi-fi hotspot since her gift last year, an Android tablet, isn't serving her needs when she's on the go. I think she'll be tickled.

No clue what to do about my dad, who buys everything he wants for himself and gets grumpy about the expenditure when we get him much of anything on Christmas

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 06:57 PM)
Ya this is me basically. Every now and than(like once every 3 years probably) I'll ask for a jersey but usually my mom will just buy me some random White Sox and Bulls stuff that she finds. My dad still just gives me money which is great.

My go to is basically some sort of umping gear that needs replacement etc. I also asked for golf shoes. It's more on my list than I've had in 5 years probably. My Mom was thrilled to not have to guess.

And those are the exciting gifts. You start asking/getting more practical things rather than "fun" gifts once you're in my position. i.e. tool set, vacuum cleaner, suit or nice clothes, dress shoes.

My older sister is a huge reader and she told me she read 144(!!!!) books this year. She's always on her Kindle and she hinted that she would want the Kindle Paperwhite thing. I sold it to her that wasn't happening so I immediately turned around and got her a Kindle Fire HD and an Amazon gift card so she's going to flip s***. Can't wait for her to see it. Last "big" gift we got her was an iPod Mini after her old one got stolen from her car. She broke down into tears.

My dad gets the 17 Seconds Blu-ray, my mom gets a Patrick Sharp jersey and still need to figure out something for her birthday that was back on Dec. 4th. I was away at school until last weekend, so that's my excuse for the tardiness.

My niece gets some sort of "little people" toy thing, and my nephew gets a plastic baseball bat, ball, and tee. My brothers don't get each other anything, so that's helpful.

I got my dad a Chromecast and Veeck's autobiography, my brother a book on the White Sox and the Brick Bible, my sister-in-law some funny dog related books, and my mom a couple of Barnes & Noble classics that she likes.

My dad kept asking what I wanted for Hanukkah and I said "I dunno" to see if he came up with something. So I made it that my mom conveniently overheard me talking to my best friend about how I was gonna try and save up for a PS4 after he got one for Christmas. They get to feel like they came up with the idea (which rarely happens) and I get a PS4. It's a win.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 21, 2013 -> 10:47 AM)
I have the chef of a local restaurant coming over to teach tamale making to my wife and I. It should be fun.

That's a super cool idea. I'm going to keep that in mind for the future.

I got a home security system for my wife. Sounds lame but she's wanted one forever. She'll have to open it early so we can actually use it while we are gone for Christmas.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 21, 2013 -> 08:47 AM)
I have the chef of a local restaurant coming over to teach tamale making to my wife and I. It should be fun.

That is great. My wife and her sister spend Christmas day making 200 tamales and we eat them over the next few months.

I had been searching for a cooking school that offered the class. There are a couple bed and breakfasts that offer cooking classes as well, but the time or type of class wasn't interesting. She has been talking about tamale making and I asked a chef I know if he knew of someone and he said he would do it. I'm hoping since it is someone we know that will make it better, not lame.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 21, 2013 -> 04:37 AM)
I got my dad a Chromecast and Veeck's autobiography, my brother a book on the White Sox and the Brick Bible, my sister-in-law some funny dog related books, and my mom a couple of Barnes & Noble classics that she likes.

My dad kept asking what I wanted for Hanukkah and I said "I dunno" to see if he came up with something. So I made it that my mom conveniently overheard me talking to my best friend about how I was gonna try and save up for a PS4 after he got one for Christmas. They get to feel like they came up with the idea (which rarely happens) and I get a PS4. It's a win.

I really wanted this, but I didn't want confuse my poor family with what might be called a satirical bible

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 25, 2013 -> 02:36 PM)
I guess as of today this turns into the "What did you get?" thread...

Got me one of them sweet sox bomber hats they were giving out during the season. Had tickets to that game but sadly couldn't go because my brother needed help moving...he remembered and got me one anyway, so that was sweet.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 06:57 PM)

This was basically spot on. Got a White Sox connect four set :lol: .