Sox trade Addison Reed to Diamondbacks for 3b Matt Davidson

dayan024

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:49 PM)
There's also Carlos Sanchez, who's supposedly having a great Venezuelan Winter League season.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 10:04 PM)
Lol, what's with the drawn out exaggeration

True, Sanchez is having a very good VWL .344/.423/.426 11BB% 14K% and is still really young. Even if he had another 2 seasons at AAA, would still only be 24 midway through that season. He's got some of the best defensive tools. I could see the sox waiting till the trade deadline to move Ramirez and monitoring Sanchez's progress at Charlotte, we could certainly use a switch hitter in this line up.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen nothing from Baseball America throughout the years to indicate that Semien could be a great defender at SS. As is often the case, he is penalized for lacking a plus arm and for scouts not actually seeing him that much.

I don't know if this was posted anywhere but,

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 3h

The #WhiteSox have improved more than anyone in #MLB the last 6 months with acquistions of 1B Abreu, RF Garcia, CF Eaton and 3B Davidson.

High praise by one of the best baseball writers out there.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 11:04 PM)
I don't know if this was posted anywhere but,

Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 3h

The #WhiteSox have improved more than anyone in #MLB the last 6 months with acquistions of 1B Abreu, RF Garcia, CF Eaton and 3B Davidson.

High praise by one of the best baseball writers out there.

Praise tempered by the fact that, well, it's easier to rise farther when you start at a lower point than most anyone else. That said - good moves.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 10:20 PM)
What's with all these high strikeout guys? From watching those old Sox games on youtube (and some of those teams were godawful), one thing I noticed is guys had no problem going the opposite way and actually putting the ball in play. These high strikeout guys annoy me generally.

Strikeouts have increased throughout the majors from about 16% to 20%. Guys just strike out more now than they used to. You used to see a lot of guys strike out less than 10% of the time, and 22-25% used to be a lot. That's just not the case anymore.

The game evolves organically, much more so than sports like football and basketball where rule changes have increased scoring dramatically.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
Hate to use a total cliche but strikeouts are just another out. K's become a problem when you aren't getting on base and you are k'ing often with runners in scoring position. I can't find his minor league #'s with RISP at the moment but his obp is just fine. Adam Dunn managed to be a darn good player for quite a few years despite K'ing a ton, and I could list a whole bunch more too. If he can stick at 3rd with at least average D and hit .265/.330/.500 with 30 hr's on a yearly basis he will be just fine. Great move by Rick.

W/RISP last year in AAA: 25-103 (.269), 14 2B, 1 3B, 4 HR, 56 RBI, .353 OBP, .485 SLG, .837 OPS

Other interesting notes from his AAA numbers last year...

When ahead in the count, 1.144 OPS in 126 AB, when behind in the count, .553 OPS in 154 AB.

His 1st inning OPS was 1.130. .637 OPS vs LHP and .889 vs RHP.

He hit 3rd in the lineup in 93 of his 115 AAA games.

I dont understand people laughing at Kevin Towers for this deal. The Dbacks have Prado under control for the next 3 years. Their OF has Trumbo-Parra-Pollock for the foreseeable future. They had no room for Davidson. You could certainly argue they may have been able to get more for Davidson elsewhere, but this move only makes the Dbacks better both now and in the future.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 01:46 AM)
I dont understand people laughing at Kevin Towers for this deal. The Dbacks have Prado under control for the next 3 years. Their OF has Trumbo-Parra-Pollock for the foreseeable future. They had no room for Davidson. You could certainly argue they may have been able to get more for Davidson elsewhere, but this move only makes the Dbacks better both now and in the future.

Here at SoxTalk, there is no such thing as a mutually beneficial trade. It is asking too much of people to understand how a trade can possibly benefit both sides, or how two teams match up to become perfect trade partners by dealing in areas of excess.

Trades can only be won or lost. And outside of this trade (and MAYBE one or two others in the last decade), the Sox generally "lose" all their trades. Trades are only "won" by the Sox when the player(s) they acquire become All-Stars, while the player(s) they trade away must also simultaneously become complete garbage.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 12:51 AM)
Here at SoxTalk, there is no such thing as a mutually beneficial trade. It is asking too much of people to understand how a trade can possibly benefit both sides, or how two teams match up to become perfect trade partners by dealing in areas of excess.

Trades can only be won or lost. And outside of this trade (and MAYBE one or two others in the last decade), the Sox generally "lose" all their trades. Trades are only "won" by the Sox when the player(s) they acquire become All-Stars, while the player(s) they trade away must also simultaneously become complete garbage.

I think a lot of that perception is due to the two Swisher trades and the Javy trade to the Braves, as well as Santos/Molina and Teahen/Jackson for Zach Stewart and finally Daniel Hudson/Jackson (Jackson pitched very well for the Sox, he just didn't quite put us over the top).

And, early in the Williams regime, the Wells/Fogg/Lowe for Ritchie move that turned out to be a disaster since we didn't develop another 5th starter until 2005.

You have lots of great small trades, like Miles for Uribe, Quentin for Carter, Loiaza for Contreras, Thornton for Borchard, getting Gavin Floyd for Freddie Garcia...and lots of examples of picking up useful pieces from the scrap heap like DeAza, Jenks, Santos, Phil Humber, JJ Putz, etc. Or signing Iguchi and Alexei Ramirez. Even getting Youkilis, Liriano and Myers, all those moves made sense at the time and you had the feeling it might be enough to put us over the top.

It's just the fact that the big headline moves like signing Dunn and trading for Swisher have backfired so spectacularly.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 02:23 AM)
I think a lot of that perception is due to the two Swisher trades and the Javy trade to the Braves, as well as Santos/Molina and Teahen/Jackson for Zach Stewart and finally Daniel Hudson/Jackson (Jackson pitched very well for the Sox, he just didn't quite put us over the top).

And, early in the Williams regime, the Wells/Fogg/Lowe for Ritchie move that turned out to be a disaster since we didn't develop another 5th starter until 2005.

You have lots of great small trades, like Miles for Uribe, Quentin for Carter, Loiaza for Contreras, Thornton for Borchard, getting Gavin Floyd for Freddie Garcia...and lots of examples of picking up useful pieces from the scrap heap like DeAza, Jenks, Santos, Phil Humber, JJ Putz, etc. Or signing Iguchi and Alexei Ramirez. Even getting Youkilis, Liriano and Myers, all those moves made sense at the time and you had the feeling it might be enough to put us over the top.

It's just the fact that the big headline moves like signing Dunn and trading for Swisher have backfired so spectacularly.

I'm talking about the face value of the trade immediately after it happens, not how things ultimately shake out. And don't forget, a great majority of people loved the Dunn signing.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 01:51 AM)
I thought Christmas wasn't until the 25th.

That would be if they signed Tanaka and somehow traded for a catcher.

With three homers in the majors last year, Davidson, who has big-time raw power, reached the 20-home run plateau for the first time in his career. His long swing and inconsistent contact rate will keep his average low, however. He still has work to do at third base, but scouts have faith that Davidson has the tools to become an average defender in time. Along with Eaton and Davidson, the White Sox now boast a young core of outfielders Avisail Garcia and Dayan Viciedo, second baseman Marcus Semien and first baseman Jose Abreu.

www.baseballamerica.com

Interesting that they listed Semien with those other five guys.

Edited by caulfield12

As far as I'm concerned, Rick Hahn has had an A-grade offseason so far. Infusing this team with top-tier MLB ready (or near) talent is so difficult, yet so crucial to avoid a prolonged rebuild.

I don't see any feasible way that Adam Dunn get's dealt, but as Spring Training nears, there could be a team or two still desperate for some power, and it would be possible for him to get something done. Perhaps Viciedo/prospect could net him a catcher? Who knows what happens next.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 01:56 AM)
That would be if they signed Tanaka and somehow traded for a catcher.

With three homers in the majors last year, Davidson, who has big-time raw power, reached the 20-home run plateau for the first time in his career. His long swing and inconsistent contact rate will keep his average low, however. He still has work to do at third base, but scouts have faith that Davidson has the tools to become an average defender in time. Along with Eaton and Davidson, the White Sox now boast a young core of outfielders Avisail Garcia and Dayan Viciedo, second baseman Marcus Semien and first baseman Jose Abreu.

www.baseballamerica.com

Interesting that they listed Semien with those other five guys.

I think Semien will be an above average defender at the keystone and hopefully he can deliver on his comps of Marcus Giles / Ray Durham / Bernie Williams as a hitter.

Eaton and Semien back to back at the top of the order excites me.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 03:05 AM)
I think Semien will be an above average defender at the keystone and hopefully he can deliver on his comps of Marcus Giles / Ray Durham / Bernie Williams as a hitter.

Eaton and Semien back to back at the top of the order excites me.

Bernie Williams? REALLY?

C'mon, that guy and Semien don't belong in the same conversation.

And this was written by Dan Hayes before the Davidson move...with Davidson, you're going from 26 (Gillaspie) to 23, and Flowers to Phegley 28 to 26. That's something like another .5555, so you'd be around 26.66 as the average age, not counting the possibility of trading Dunn or Ramirez.

Then, you add in a Semien/L. Garcia/Sanchez for Beckham, you're very close to having the same average age of team as the Astros coming in 2013.

All youth can lead to a long season for a manager. A lack of experience similar to the Houston Astros, whose average non-position player was 25.8 years old in 2013, can lose to 111 losses in a heartbeat.

Last season the average age of the players in the White Sox opening day lineup was 30.22 years. That figure slipped by the end of the season after Alex Rios was traded and Keppinger began to see less playing time with Conor Gillaspie, Marcus Semien, Leury Garcia and Avisail Garcia taking over.

But the White Sox have managed to get even younger this season.

With the additions of Eaton, who will be 25, Avisail Garcia (22), Abreu (27), the White Sox would have an average opening day age of 27.22 assuming Tyler Flowers (28) and Dayan Viciedo (25) get the start.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 04:15 AM)
Bernie Williams? REALLY?

C'mon, that guy and Semien don't belong in the same conversation.

Go look at what Semien just produced at the same age at the same level as Williams(1990), I'm not the originator of that comp, Matt Garrioch from Minor League ball is. God forbid sox fans dream a little bit about an offensive product from their system.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 05:17 AM)
Go look at what Semien just produced at the same age at the same level as Williams(1990), I'm not the originator of that comp, Matt Garrioch from Minor League ball is. God forbid sox fans dream a little bit about an offensive product from their system.

That's fine. But you're talking about an outfielder (CFer) that had 2,336 career hits and is a borderline Hall of Famer because he played for the Yankees. I would love to have a middle infielder who could hit 19 homers per year for 15 years, but I wouldn't be counting on it.

The latest position players we've produced from our system....are? Chris Young. Chris Carter, who's really a DH masquerading as a 1B. Gordon Beckham. Brent Morel. Josh Phegley. Chris Getz.

We can dream about Viciedo, Davidson, Eaton, Abreu and Garcia. That's enough for me, for now. And hopefully a catcher to get excited about someday, too.

QUOTE (beautox @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 05:17 AM)

Some people think Semien is overrated because he hasn't been hyped-up by Baseball America and other websites. At the end of the day, he just dominated Southern League as an age appropriate middle infielder. He out-produced prospects like Joc Pederson, who was ranked the 35th overall in BA's mid-season update. Unfortunately, a lot of these websites are hesitant to give Semien his due because he's a member of the White Sox organization and we've struggled to develop position players.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 12:46 AM)

They gave up a cost-controlled 3b prospect whom many believe will be legit for an average relief pitcher who happened to pitch most of his games in the 9th inning.