Sox trade Addison Reed to Diamondbacks for 3b Matt Davidson

dayan024

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 10:43 AM)
hello white sox fans! this is my first post on this forum and i just wanted to chime in on this thread.

i've lurked on this board for a while now and it's great to see all these Sox fans talking about our team. there's a LOT of good information on here as well as some hilarious comments. but i want to talk about Rick Hahn and our White Sox. this is going to be TLDR, but here goes. people who think Siemien is MLB ready should pump the brakes on this kid. i think another season at the AAA level isn't going to kill him. as much as i want to see Beckham succeed, he's had 5 years to improve and all i've seen is a perennial .250 hitter with barely a .300 OBP. sure his defense is solid, but that's just not enough for someone who's already been given that amount of time at the MLB level. we did see some improvement at the beginning of last season, so i think the Sox give him one more year at 2B and see what he can do. if he turns the corner, obviously we keep him. if he struggles again, we move on with Siemien.

i super pleased with what Hahn has done with this roster. he basically moved Peavy, Thornton, Santiago, and Reed for Garcia, Abreu, Eaton and Davidson. he was able to get younger players with high upside, potentially keeping us competitive this season and in the future, and he shed payroll. who knows what Danks is going to bring to the rotation this season. he'll be 2 years removed from surgery and if he can get back to his 2010 form, we'll have a VERY nice starting rotation. and Dunn coming off the books by the end of the year, if not moved in a trade before the deadline if the Sox are not contending, Hahn has positioned the Sox nicely moving forward. there's a lot to be excited about on the south side and i like what Ricky is doing.

GO WHITE SOX!

Welcome!

At this point, it seems extremely unlikely that Semien will not start in AAA next year. Garcia is a MUCH better option as a bench piece, Konerko/Keppinger clog the rest of the bench, and there will be plenty of competition for the 3B slot in ST. Barring a trade of Ramirez/Beckham, there's really no way to squeeze him on.

So hopefully we won't have to worry about where he should be anyway :D

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 10:14 AM)
Let me say that I'm impressed too and think the team is in better shape then they were 5 months ago.

That being said, I don't believe that Hahn has exactly aquired 'Blue Chip" prospects either. Davidson, Eton, Garcia, Abreu, eyt. are all nice prospects, but I don't think any of them are top 50 are they? Please correct me if I'm wrong (I have no doubt that someone will), but it's not like the Sox now have a stable of "Top of the Line", "can't miss" youngsters. I realize that you would of had to of had top of the line players to start trading with, but just sayin.

I feel like often times many "blue chip" prospects end up playing poorly and are in reality overhyped. There have been a lot of 50-100 ranked players who wound up becoming very good players.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 11:15 AM)
Welcome!

At this point, it seems extremely unlikely that Semien will not start in AAA next year. Garcia is a MUCH better option as a bench piece, Konerko/Keppinger clog the rest of the bench, and there will be plenty of competition for the 3B slot in ST. Barring a trade of Ramirez/Beckham, there's really no way to squeeze him on.

Thanks!

The bench worries me going into the season because if we go with 12 pitchers, 9 regulars, that's only 4 bench spots. obviously, PK and Keppinger clog up two bench spots, we still need a backup catcher (the thought of Flowers as an every day starter makes me ill), and then there's De Aza and/or Tank. Hahn HAS to have another move on the table.

QUOTE (staxx @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 12:18 PM)
I feel like often times many "blue chip" prospects end up playing poorly and are in reality overhyped. There have been a lot of 50-100 ranked players who wound up becoming very good players.

If none of Abreu, Eaton, Garcia or Davidson bust, Hahn is one of the best GMs in baseball. He's probably upper tier if one busts. Prospects break your heart. BP actually has a feature named that.

If Davidson is more Crede than Fields, if Garcia is more Maggs than Jeff Abbott, if Eaton is more Dykstra than John Cangelosi, Hahn's work will try to be copied everywhere.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
Thanks!

The bench worries me going into the season because if we go with 12 pitchers, 9 regulars, that's only 4 bench spots. obviously, PK and Keppinger clog up two bench spots, we still need a backup catcher (the thought of Flowers as an every day starter makes me ill), and then there's De Aza and/or Tank. Hahn HAS to have another move on the table.

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that 2 out of Dunn, Keppinger, and Gillaspie will be moved. You just can't have a roster constructed any effective way if they're around. At the worst, the 2 IF's get cut at the end of spring training if they can't be sent elsewhere.

De Aza still also seems likely to move, but it seems potentially useful to wait until Choo has signed to see what that does.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 11:11 AM)
What's really exciting about this offseason is that the Sox are possibly a catcher away from being close to competitive next year. I'm not saying they will be competing for the division title, but the moves made so far make the team look a lot better than the 99-loss mess we saw in 2013. The acquisition of a young catcher with potential would be keeping with the trend so far while also getting one step closer to being a respectable team for 2014.

Now, obviously a few things are going to have to go right for 2014 to be more than a building year. In addition to the youngsters (Abreu, Garcia, Davidson, and Eaton) playing well, the pitching will have to be good and players like Dunn and Viciedo will have to contribute.

Honestly, I don't think the Sox will be in the hunt all season. But as the team stands now, they could certainly make it a lot tougher for the other teams. More than anything, this team looks to be ready to compete as early as 2015 and for several years after.

Just remember...the right assumption for all of these guys is that they're going to struggle. Assume Davidson is going to look like Tyler Flowers at the plate, assume Eaton is going to look like Phegley. You hope they're going to be better, but if they struggle mightily in their first season...that may only mean they weren't quite ready or that they needed longer to adjust to big league pitching.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 01:10 PM)
I think it's pretty much guaranteed that 2 out of Dunn, Keppinger, and Gillaspie will be moved. You just can't have a roster constructed any effective way if they're around. At the worst, the 2 IF's get cut at the end of spring training if they can't be sent elsewhere.

De Aza still also seems likely to move, but it seems potentially useful to wait until Choo has signed to see what that does.

I really don't see the point in moving Dunn right now. He has more value to us than being on another team right now as he is the only LH power hitter in the line up.

I could see 2 of Gillaspie, Keppinger, and De Aza being moved before spring training. I prefer De Aza and Keppinger to go before Gillaspie, as I think Gillaspie could be a good bench guy once Dunn and Konerko are gone.

I think the we move Dunn at the deadline, one because hopefully he has a decent season, and he would be owed less money for teams to pay.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
Just remember...the right assumption for all of these guys is that they're going to struggle. Assume Davidson is going to look like Tyler Flowers at the plate, assume Eaton is going to look like Phegley. You hope they're going to be better, but if they struggle mightily in their first season...that may only mean they weren't quite ready or that they needed longer to adjust to big league pitching.

I agree with Balta. Even though I believe Sox can be somewhat competitive next year, there will be many growing pains throughout the season.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 02:14 PM)
I really don't see the point in moving Dunn right now. He has more value to us than being on another team right now as he is the only LH power hitter in the line up.

I could see 2 of Gillaspie, Keppinger, and De Aza being moved before spring training. I prefer De Aza and Keppinger to go before Gillaspie, as I think Gillaspie could be a good bench guy once Dunn and Konerko are gone.

I think the we move Dunn at the deadline, one because hopefully he has a decent season, and he would be owed less money for teams to pay.

I agree with you on Dunn but it's been made clear the White Sox are still trying. If they don't move Dunn, then it's virtually impossible to have either Gillaspie or Keppinger on this roster. The bench winds up being Konerko, De Aza/Danks, backup catcher...and then an infielder. Gillaspie cannot be that infielder because he's never played even 2b professionally, let alone short, and Keppinger doesn't get used at short very much either. A bench of Konerko, De Aza, Backup catcher, and Keppinger is a silly bench since no one has any confidence with Keppinger's glove.

You've pretty much got to dump 2 of them, even if it's for nothing.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 01:14 PM)

I couldn't disagree more.

He has literally zero value to the White Sox. If anything, with his contract, he has negative value.

There is no need for a veteran slugger to be taking up so many AB's on a team that will not be competing.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)

He has literally zero value to the White Sox. If anything, with his contract, he has negative value.

There is no need for a veteran slugger to be taking up so many AB's on a team that will not be competing.

Ok, I understand where you are coming from, but who is going to take those at bats then? Konerko at full time DH? But then that goes away from your theory taking young hitters from gaining experience. Unless we acquire another left fielder and move Viciedo to DH, I don't see anyone that can be ready by next year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)
No doubt about it. Odds are pretty good that at least one of the guys we just got, turns into a bust.

I understand, but it doesn't hurt to hope. If anyone, I would think Davidson but if he can still put up a 230-240 average with 20-30 home runs a year than I would be perfectly fine with that.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 01:22 PM)
Hope the AZ guys play like the last offensive prospect the Sox received from them. TCQ.

That would be ideal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 08:18 PM)
I agree with you on Dunn but it's been made clear the White Sox are still trying. If they don't move Dunn, then it's virtually impossible to have either Gillaspie or Keppinger on this roster. The bench winds up being Konerko, De Aza/Danks, backup catcher...and then an infielder. Gillaspie cannot be that infielder because he's never played even 2b professionally, let alone short, and Keppinger doesn't get used at short very much either. A bench of Konerko, De Aza, Backup catcher, and Keppinger is a silly bench since no one has any confidence with Keppinger's glove.

You've pretty much got to dump 2 of them, even if it's for nothing.

I think you are right. I have this sick feeling John Buck is going to end up a White Sox. I'd prefer we make a deal for somebody besides Buck and simply dump Flowers. I can take Phegley and a new guy at catcher. I also have a feeling Hahn has more moves in him. I bet he dumps DeAza or Viciedo, just a feeling.

QUOTE (staxx @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 01:18 PM)

I think that this is a good point too!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 01:33 PM)
I think you are right. I have this sick feeling John Buck is going to end up a White Sox. I'd prefer we make a deal for somebody besides Buck and simply dump Flowers. I can take Phegley and a new guy at catcher. I also have a feeling Hahn has more moves in him. I bet he dumps DeAza or Viciedo, just a feeling.

I hope Buck is not on this team. I would rather much have a platoon of Flowers/Phegley or Flowers/Nieto. Like again, taking at bats from young developing players.

Hahn definitely trades De Aza before Viciedo because even though Viciedo is not all that popular on this board, he still has time and is young enough to turn it around. He's only going to be 24.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)

Our only hope is to try to move him to a team that missed out on the FA's they wanted, and try to get them to pick up as much as possible of the $$$

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 01:33 PM)

I read where Buddy Bell is a big fan of Buck so you may be need to keep in mind where the bathroom is at all times.