Bruce Levine

Y2Jimmy0

As many of you may know, Bruce Levine is on 670 The Score now. He was just on the night show with David Shuster and mentioned some interesting things.

He made it sound like he would be completely shocked if De Aza were on the team. Says he will definitely be traded.

Also basically said he'd be shocked if they didn't add another catcher.

Mentioned that they need another RHP and possibly a utility guy because Leury Garcia didn't hit at all after his arrival last year.

He also mentioned that Sox would love to move Keppinger but that nobody would be picking up that $8 million. He also said that he expects Keppinger to have a bounce back season because he was dealing with some serious personal issues last year. I was unaware of these?

Also, he mentioned that even though Dunn is the only LH power hitter on the team, that he is not a fit. He said that Hahn would love trade him and mentioned Houston. He praised Dunn for being a great guy but said that Dunn doesn't want to be here anymore and is ready to be out of Chicago. He really made it sound like Houston could be a landing spot because he is from Texas and they need to draw down there.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 11:25 PM)
As many of you may know, Bruce Levine is on 670 The Score now. He was just on the night show with David Shuster and mentioned some interesting things.

He made it sound like he would be completely shocked if De Aza were on the team. Says he will definitely be traded.

Also basically said he'd be shocked if they didn't add another catcher.

Mentioned that they need another RHP and possibly a utility guy because Leury Garcia didn't hit at all after his arrival last year.

He also mentioned that Sox would love to move Keppinger but that nobody would be picking up that $8 million. He also said that he expects Keppinger to have a bounce back season because he was dealing with some serious personal issues last year. I was unaware of these?

Also, he mentioned that even though Dunn is the only LH power hitter on the team, that he is not a fit. He said that Hahn would love trade him and mentioned Houston. He praised Dunn for being a great guy but said that Dunn doesn't want to be here anymore and is ready to be out of Chicago. He really made it sound like Houston could be a landing spot because he is from Texas and they need to draw down there.

Did he say anything that we all already don't know?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 11:31 PM)
I don't think that's necessary at all. Jimmy found it interesting so so be it. I didn't know Dunn wanted out. I didn't know Keppinger had family issues. I figured ADA was on the way out but an insider saying it's a sure thing is interesting.

Hardly surprised though. He signed here thinking that he was coming on to a contender and simply filling Jim Thome's spot perfectly. Now, a big reason as to why that contender has fallen apart was because of his God awful 2011 season, but no one with an ounce of competitiveness (especially like Dunn, who has never made the playoffs I think) would want to be on a crappy team with no real chance of contention, no matter how much they're getting paid.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 11:31 PM)
I don't think that's necessary at all. Jimmy found it interesting so so be it. I didn't know Dunn wanted out. I didn't know Keppinger had family issues. I figured ADA was on the way out but an insider saying it's a sure thing is interesting.

It wasn't a shot at Jimmy. Was a shot at Levine for saying obvious things.

I didn't realize that Keppinger had some issues. Let's hope that he has a better season, because he's probably not going anywhere. I think we all know that De Aza will most likely be traded. The Sox have four outfielders right now, and as we have discussed ad nauseum, he's most likely to go. The Dunn tidbit is a little surprising. I guess I understand him being frustrated. I'd be very surprised if he's traded, though.

If we trade Dunn, does Konerko become the everyday DH? Or do we platoon someone with Konerko and if so who? Not a lot of internal left-handed options.

While I'm fine with moving Dunn, I'd at least like to give his at-bats to a young player. Simply dumping him to clear more ABs for Paulie seems counter-productive to me.

In keeping with Hahn's plan of building a solid core for the future; why not "give" Dunn to Houston, or any team for that matter, in exchange for another young player who could fill a long term need for the Sox? Just pay whatever portion of the last year of Dunn's contract, that team wants, in return for a young player who fits in the front office's 3 to 5 year plan. What portion of Dunn's contract the Sox would pay would be a function of how good the prospect is.

Perhaps Stassi would be a name that might meet that description, and provide a solution to the catching void. With Castro, the Astros don't need another young catcher:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/...ect-max-stassi/

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 07:57 AM)
If we trade Dunn, does Konerko become the everyday DH? Or do we platoon someone with Konerko and if so who? Not a lot of internal left-handed options.

What would probably happen is that they'd play Konerko as the everyday DH to start the season, not give him enough time off, and then wind up with other guys sliding into that role when Konerko starts hurting.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 07:28 AM)
In keeping with Hahn's plan of building a solid core for the future; why not "give" Dunn to Houston, or any team for that matter, in exchange for another young player who could fill a long term need for the Sox? Just pay whatever portion of the last year of Dunn's contract, that team wants, in return for a young player who fits in the front office's 3 to 5 year plan. What portion of Dunn's contract the Sox would pay would be a function of how good the prospect is.

Perhaps Stassi would be a name that might meet that description, and provide a solution to the catching void. With Castro, the Astros don't need another young catcher:

To get rid of Dunn at this point would be a pure salary dump. The Sox would end up paying a huge chunk of his contract to get really nothing of value in return. If we are going to be paying him anyway, the best bet is to play him and hope he has a good first half and try to move him at the deadline. At that point he will only have around $5 million or so left on his contract and the Sox could probably get something of value from a contending team. There is really no point in getting rid of him to just get rid of him, especially when it is going to cost you a fortune to do so.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 08:28 AM)

I wouldn't give up that guy for Dunn and $14 million, not even close.

If the Sox believe that Viciedo is going to be a middle of the order bat, then they need to eventually move him to 1B/DH and get a left-handed power bat for LF. Unless the Sox are planning on signing Choo or manage to get such a bat in a trade, there is no reason to dump Dunn for nothing instead of waiting until 2015 to move Viciedo to 1B/DH.

As many people have noted, as exciting as it is to get guys like Abreu, Garcia, Davidson, and Eaton, a lot of good prospects bust and the Sox need to get more young talent whenever possible, and the best way to turn Dunn into young talent is to deal him midseason, when he is hopefully hitting well and has less salary remaining.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 12:09 AM)
Hardly surprised though. He signed here thinking that he was coming on to a contender and simply filling Jim Thome's spot perfectly. Now, a big reason as to why that contender has fallen apart was because of his God awful 2011 season, but no one with an ounce of competitiveness (especially like Dunn, who has never made the playoffs I think) would want to be on a crappy team with no real chance of contention, no matter how much they're getting paid.

Honestly, I think this has less to do with it than the sheer fact that the fans of Chicago do not like him. He is booed constantly, even though he's doing about what would be expected of him. He is probably not comfortable walking around town simply because people will recognize him and berate him. He is "the guy," so people blame the Sox failure on him. If he is playing in Texas, he is, at the very least, close to home.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 09:02 AM)
What would probably happen is that they'd play Konerko as the everyday DH to start the season, not give him enough time off, and then wind up with other guys sliding into that role when Konerko starts hurting.

Depends on what they get back for Dunn as well.

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 09:21 AM)
Depends on what they get back for Dunn as well.

Look guys...we're not getting back anything useful for Dunn. If we chip in $10 million+ we might get back some no-name A-baller and that's going to require the Sox to chip in $10 million+. That's just how it's going to be. For crying out loud we signed an extra DH because we didn't feel Adam Dunn had that firm of a grasp on that position even.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 06:32 AM)
I'd say there is not a very good chance that Keppinger is still with the Sox come opening day. If Davidson makes the team, there is absolutely no room for Keppinger on the roster. I bet the Sox dump him even if they have to pay a good portion of his salary.

He would be able to play the position was is best suited for. A super sub who can give rest to any infielder and fill in for stretches when one is hurt.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 08:25 AM)
He would be able to play the position was is best suited for. A super sub who can give rest to any infielder and fill in for stretches when one is hurt.

I do not like Keppinger in that role for this team. We have the perfect guy for that in Garcia. While Keppinger can play multiple positions, he is not really good at any of them and is slow as dirt. I like my backup IF/OFers to be plus defenders and have speed.