2014 ♪♫ Thread

Swingandalongonetoleft

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 04:12 PM)
Eh Willie Nelson (and Kristofferson) was just sad. But I love Highwayman and that's probably the last time it will ever be played, so sometimes you tip your cap to a legend.

They definitely don't make Country music like they used to. Actually, it's debatable whether they make Country music at all nowadays.

Has anyone here actually heard The Heist? I mean, Macklemore raps. It's a rap album. I guess you could consider it more of a hip hop album, but no more so than say MMLP2, which most people will call a rap album.

The Heist was a brilliant album. I mean, Taylor Swift has won for country in the past - it's not what you think of when you think country.

Deal with it - the genres are crossing more and more.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)
Has anyone here actually heard The Heist? I mean, Macklemore raps. It's a rap album. I guess you could consider it more of a hip hop album, but no more so than say MMLP2, which most people will call a rap album.

The Heist was a brilliant album. I mean, Taylor Swift has won for country in the past - it's not what you think of when you think country.

I've heard The Heist at least 20 times all the way through. It's a fantastic album, one of the best in years. And it's 100% a rap album. I laugh at all the people who call it a pop album just because it got radio play. As if no one realizes Mack's story of being an independent rapper and that somehow this CD and his songs were pushed to the airwaves through a major label. You know you actually HAS a major label that pushes his songs to the radio? Kendrick Lamar. He is more inherently a pop artist if you are going to try and use that as a measuring stick.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 04:20 PM)

Completely separate from whether Mackelmore should count for this genre or that genre is the fact that the Grammys are often pretty terrible and shouldn't be taken as a definitive statement of anything.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
I've heard The Heist at least 20 times all the way through. It's a fantastic album, one of the best in years. And it's 100% a rap album. I laugh at all the people who call it a pop album just because it got radio play. As if no one realizes Mack's story of being an independent rapper and that somehow this CD and his songs were pushed to the airwaves through a major label. You know you actually HAS a major label that pushes his songs to the radio? Kendrick Lamar. He is more inherently a pop artist if you are going to try and use that as a measuring stick.

Exactly.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 04:16 PM)
Ok why?

And who cares if Black Eyed Peas won if they put out a rap album and it was the one of the best?

Because most people respect rappers based on freestyle, rhyming and live performance. Macklemore really hasnt proven himself in any of those categories. Mackelmore has some great hooks on his album, but if Im giving out the best rap album, Im not giving it to the best hooks, Im giving it to the best rhymes. And Macklemores actually rapping/rhyming isnt at the same level as Good Kid/Maad City.

I mean I love Dre, but hes not the best rapper either.

And the Black Eyed Peas would be the same as when the Fugees won. Its just a square peg in a round hole. And the Fugees werent white.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)

BEST IN YEARS?????

This is why people get insane when a guy like Macklemore wins. He put out an okay album, but white people get crazy about how good white rappers are.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 04:32 PM)
Because most people respect rappers based on freestyle, rhyming and live performance. Macklemore really hasnt proven himself in any of those categories. Mackelmore has some great hooks on his album, but if Im giving out the best rap album, Im not giving it to the best hooks, Im giving it to the best rhymes. And Macklemores actually rapping/rhyming isnt at the same level as Good Kid/Maad City.

I mean I love Dre, but hes not the best rapper either.

And the Black Eyed Peas would be the same as when the Fugees one. Its just a square peg in a round hole. And the Fugees werent white.

If we are giving out songs based on best rhymes, then Lupe should have a shelf full of Grammys.

I thought Good Kid/Maad City was alright. I'm not a big Kendrick Lamar fan, I think he is somehow anointed at the "savior of rap" just because everyone wants a "savior of rap". He's a very good rapper, I just don't like a majority of his songs. There are a lot of good rappers though.

As for the live performance aspect, I don't know what your criteria is here, but I saw Macklemore in concert about a year ago, and the dude killed it. Best concert I've ever been to, and head and shoulders above the Lil Wayne concert I got dragged to in like 2009. He also killed it at the VMA's this year, or whatever you want to call that remote performance he did at another location that was shown live at the VMAs.

Mack didn't win award for the best rapper, he won for the best rap album, and I think regardless of what you think about him, if you just listen to the CD, none of that freestyle ability or live performance matters. As for his rhyming, yeah, he isn't as fast as Kendrick on most songs, and he isn't as deep as Lupe, and he isn't as funny and clever as Eminem, but his lyrics have ton of meaning and make sense and tell a story, and I'd take that over someone like Lil Wayne, 2 Chainz, Tyga, etc. who rap fast with idiotic lines to try and be clever when they are not.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 04:30 PM)
Completely separate from whether Mackelmore should count for this genre or that genre is the fact that the Grammys are often pretty terrible and shouldn't be taken as a definitive statement of anything.

True, although in a way I think its the best awards show because you have something to watch. The mash-up performances can be great.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 04:40 PM)
BEST IN YEARS?????

This is why people get insane when a guy like Macklemore wins. He put out an okay album, but white people get crazy about how good white rappers are.

Hey, look, exactly what I was talking about earlier with everyone discounting him because he is white! You were the one who just said this has nothing to do with race, and now apparently it has something to do with race. Nice.

Edited by Chilihead90

Lupe is okay, not really on Kendrick's level as a performer. And when you get "dragged" to a concert, I presume you arent going to love it no matter what. This year I saw Lil Wayne, TI, Macklemore, Kendrick x2, Wu Tang, Nas, Mac Miller, Kanye, Kid Cudi and who knows what others.

Of the people up for awards, Kendrick/Kanye were the best, just mind blowing silly good. Macklemore was fun, good time, but its vanilla background music.

I think the problem is that generally speaking "rap" fans, want gritty and Macklemore is so polished. Its just preference but it goes back to the roots of rap and the street performance. Macklemore is so sterile, its the Kayne influence, which is why people wanted Kendrick to win. Hes more polished than Wayne, but he still has that street grit.

The win of Macklemore is just more about the state of rap and there is just a section of rap fans who will never like emo-rap. Even Kayne deals with it,

Soon as they like you make 'em unlike you

Cause kissing people ass is so unlike you

The only rapper compared to Michael

So here's a few hating-ass n****s who'll fight you

And here's a few snake-ass n****s to bite you

And I don't even wanna hear 'bout what n****s might do

Old n****s mentally still in high school

Since the tight jeans they never liked you

Pink-ass polos with a f***ing backpack

But everybody know you brought real rap back

I love me some Yeezus, its my #1 this year, but my first thought after his concert was "Kanye's not a rapper anymore".

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)
Hey, look, exactly what I was talking about earlier with everyone discounting him because he is white! You were the one who just said this has nothing to do with race, and now apparently it has something to do with race. Nice.

You mean Im stating a fact.

Correct me if Im wrong but you are a white person and Macklemore is a white rapper.

Thinking that Macklemore is a good rapper has nothing to do with race.

I think Macklemore is a rapper. Its just hes a very pop rapper in a genre that generally disrespects pop.

Even on Jay-Z's old school album that won a grammy he remarks about how he wont get respect for the hook on his song "Money Cash Hoes":

I know they gone criticize the hook on this song

Like I give a f*** I'm just a crook on this song

Or

Moment of Clarity

Music business hate me cause the industry ain't make me

Hustlers and boosters embrace me and the music I be making

I dumbed down for my audience to double my dollars

They criticized me for it, yet they all yell "holla"

If skills sold, truth be told, I'd probably be

Lyrically Talib Kweli

Truthfully I wanna rhyme like Common Sense

But I did 5 mill' - I ain't been rhyming like Common since

When your cents got that much in common

And you been hustling since your inception

f*** perception. Go with what makes sense

Since I know what I'm up against

We as rappers must decide what's most important

And I can't help the poor if I'm one of them

So I got rich and gave back, to me that's the win/win

So next time you see the homey and his rims spin

Just know my mind is working just like them

So this is actually an argument thats been going on way before white/black rap. Macklemore is just the perfect storm to hate for a certain portion of rap fans. Hes poppy and it appears hes being boosted by being white.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 04:52 PM)
You mean Im stating a fact.

Correct me if Im wrong but you are a white person and Macklemore is a white rapper.

Thinking that Macklemore is a good rapper has nothing to do with race.

No, you are implying that white people love all white rappers, or they love them because they are white.

What if I said to a black guy eating at KFC, "Man, black people are crazy about their chicken!!"?? You don't think that sound implies anything other than "That's just a black guy who happens to be eating chicken. It makes sense, it's just a fact."

It does.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 05:09 PM)
I think Macklemore is a rapper. Its just hes a very pop rapper in a genre that generally disrespects pop.

Even on Jay-Z's old school album that won a grammy he remarks about how he wont get respect for the hook on his song "Money Cash Hoes":

I know they gone criticize the hook on this song

Like I give a f*** I'm just a crook on this song

Or

Moment of Clarity

Music business hate me cause the industry ain't make me

Hustlers and boosters embrace me and the music I be making

I dumbed down for my audience to double my dollars

They criticized me for it, yet they all yell "holla"

If skills sold, truth be told, I'd probably be

Lyrically Talib Kweli

Truthfully I wanna rhyme like Common Sense

But I did 5 mill' - I ain't been rhyming like Common since

When your cents got that much in common

And you been hustling since your inception

f*** perception. Go with what makes sense

Since I know what I'm up against

We as rappers must decide what's most important

And I can't help the poor if I'm one of them

So I got rich and gave back, to me that's the win/win

So next time you see the homey and his rims spin

Just know my mind is working just like them

So this is actually an argument thats been going on way before white/black rap. Macklemore is just the perfect storm to hate for a certain portion of rap fans. Hes poppy and it appears hes being boosted by being white.

Eminem is more of a pop artist than Macklemore is. Lil Wayne is more of a pop artist than Macklemore is. I feel like you are calling him a pop artist based purely on him being white, not having typical violence/money lyrics, and not having enough bass in his songs.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 05:10 PM)
No, you are implying that white people love all white rappers, or they love them because they are white.

What if I said to a black guy eating at KFC, "Man, black people are crazy about their chicken!!"?? You don't think that sound implies anything other than "That's just a black guy who happens to be eating chicken. It makes sense, it's just a fact."

It does.

Im white, so that doesnt make a lick of sense.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 05:13 PM)
Eminem is more of a pop artist than Macklemore is. Lil Wayne is more of a pop artist than Macklemore is. I feel like you are calling him a pop artist based purely on him being white, not having typical violence/money lyrics, and not having enough bass in his songs.

Im not even sure what you are arguing anymore. Are you trying to suggest Macklemore is hardcore rap? Underground? I mean should you compare him to KRS-ONE?

(edit)

And I dont think you are right either. A lot of Macklemore's hooks are anthem style, which is pop. If you listen to "I Am Not A Human Being 2" (Lil Wayne's new album) its significantly more focused on the rap/lyrics, than pumping a hook to dance too.

Even "Curtains" and "Rich as f***" are substantially grittier.

Once again, its personal preference. The fact you like Lupe/Macklemore is reflects that you like a highly polished album. Nothing wrong with that, just a different style.

My favorite rap songs are much darker/harder/grittier.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 03:07 PM)
Or like Darius Rucker winning a country award....... oh wait, that happened....Guess we should all rage about a BLACK MAN stealing a WHITE MAN'S AWARD!!! Yeeeeee haaaaaw.

How about, this is like Breaking Bad losing best drama to The Following.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 27, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
Im not even sure what you are arguing anymore. Are you trying to suggest Macklemore is hardcore rap? Underground? I mean should you compare him to KRS-ONE?

(edit)

And I dont think you are right either. A lot of Macklemore's hooks are anthem style, which is pop. If you listen to "I Am Not A Human Being 2" (Lil Wayne's new album) its significantly more focused on the rap/lyrics, than pumping a hook to dance too.

Even "Curtains" and "Rich as f***" are substantially grittier.

Once again, its personal preference. The fact you like Lupe/Macklemore is reflects that you like a highly polished album. Nothing wrong with that, just a different style.

My favorite rap songs are much darker/harder/grittier.

I'm suggesting that Macklemore is most definitely a rap artist, or even a hip-hop artist, but definitely not a pop artist. Yes, he has some pop-ish songs, but so do all those other rappers I mentioned, which was my point of mentioning them. Plus, all of those rappers do a handful of songs that feature pop stars. I can't think of a single song Macklemore has done with a pop star.