2014 Minor League catch all thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 10:40 AM)
2-3 yrs? I'll take it.

He'll prob start at Kanny this year, get promoted to W-S mid season......

I know there are special cases where players have nothing left to prove at a given level. But that should be rare.

Hopefully Courtney Hawkins sucking last year taught the Sox not to be in such a hurry to move guys up, especially high school draft picks.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with taking a HS player and giving him a full year at each level on his way up. It would also help managing the player's expectations as they move up.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)
Very sorry to hear that. If he catches on with another organization, please come back and let us know.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
Sorry to hear that. Give him our best wishes!

Ditto this. Always sad to hear this.

QUOTE (floridafan @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 03:35 PM)
Eric Grabe was released today. It was fun while it lasted.

Hope everyone here enjoys the upcoming season!

Always sad to hear anyone being released, but especially when we have contact with them (if indirectly). Hopefully he gets on with another org, and thank you very much for your contributions here. You are of course still always welcome!

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
FYI, Jim Callis of MLB.com will be chatting about the White Sox system on twitter @mlbpipeline at noon.

http://jimcallis.mlblogs.com/

He posted on his blog five additional prospects, a sleeper, and an interview with Tim Anderson.

Trey Michalczewski is a high-ceiling guy that we may learn a lot about this season in terms of prospect status, even though he's years away. Love me some switch-hitters with power - hope he sticks at 3B defensively.

FutureSox and Callis had some nice back-and-forth over twitter. Highlights...

--Callis on Braulio Ortiz: One of best arms in system, 93-98 w/ sink, RP b/c need ssec P, contol

--Callis on Adam Engel: Might have been best college athlete in 2013 draft. If adjustments stick, huge steal.

--Callis on toolsy OF's, said Hawkins most likely of those 4 big names (Hawkins, Thompson, Mitchell, Walker) to make impact in MLB. Also that Hawkins was young and rushed, though K rate very scary. Thompson seems to progress slowly but surely.

--Callis on Bassitt: Back-of-rotation ceiling, my gut says RP. Fastball easily best pitch, so-so secondary.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 07:53 AM)
He's like 2-3 years away at the very, very earliest.

Or significantly less according to some. The last line in Callis' updated description:

"Others compare him to Jake Peavy and think he could rush through the Minors."

I'm in this camp, obviously. We will know soon enough how aggressive they're going to be with Tyler - I think he finishes the season with more than a cup-o-coffee in B'Ham, after being unchallenged in A and A+ ball. Debuts in '15 as a 20 y.o.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
Or significantly less according to some. The last line in Callis' updated description:

"Others compare him to Jake Peavy and think he could rush through the Minors."

I'm in this camp, obviously. We will know soon enough how aggressive they're going to be with Tyler - I think he finishes the season with more than a cup-o-coffee in B'Ham, after being unchallenged in A and A+ ball. Debuts in '15 as a 20 y.o.

To me, 2-3 years is flying through the minors for a HS prospect. I could see him handle both levels of A ball this season and start in AA next season, at which point he could be a September call up in 2016, but that is only if every goes right, which it seldom does.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 12:27 PM)
To me, 2-3 years is flying through the minors for a HS prospect. I could see him handle both levels of A ball this season and start in AA next season, at which point he could be a September call up in 2016, but that is only if every goes right, which it seldom does.

We will see. This guy is a different breed of cat, imo.

Callis has his ETA at 2016. I'll say August '15, as a reliever, having nearly reached an innings limit. Then starting in '16.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)
Organizational arm. Hopefully he does well with Arizona.

Speaking of, Hahn must really, really like dealing with Towers. I would too though I think.

He's a market inefficiency that needs exploiting.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 12:05 PM)
FutureSox and Callis had some nice back-and-forth over twitter. Highlights...

--Callis on Braulio Ortiz: One of best arms in system, 93-98 w/ sink, RP b/c need ssec P, contol

--Callis on Adam Engel: Might have been best college athlete in 2013 draft. If adjustments stick, huge steal.

--Callis on toolsy OF's, said Hawkins most likely of those 4 big names (Hawkins, Thompson, Mitchell, Walker) to make impact in MLB. Also that Hawkins was young and rushed, though K rate very scary. Thompson seems to progress slowly but surely.

--Callis on Bassitt: Back-of-rotation ceiling, my gut says RP. Fastball easily best pitch, so-so secondary.

Those all make me smile.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 02:05 PM)
Speaking of, Hahn must really, really like dealing with Towers. I would too though I think.

If for no other reason, he's willing to deal.

While I didn't like a lot of KW's trades, at least he was willing to deal. In aggregate, the trades helped the team.

Hahn, too, obviously.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
Jason Parks ‏@ProfessorParks 49s

#WhiteSox SS Tim Anderson is showing off at the plate, w/ a 2B and a bomb so far in AA game. Loose and easy. Should have been in BP 101

Parks was loving what he saw from Anderson and Jaye today.