2014 Minor League catch all thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 09:24 PM)
Those tweets are pure music. The '13 draft has a chance to be a goldmine.

In the BP article, Parks states that he thinks Tim Anderson will be best suited at 2B though but says that he has no doubt that his hit tool is + and he has a chance to develop + power sometime into his ML career. He said that Anderson should have been in the top 100. He also raved about Miles Jaye, saying he should have definitely been in the White Sox top ten.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 08:28 PM)
Parks was loving what he saw from Anderson and Jaye today.

"SS Tim Anderson: Body beautiful; plus athlete; swing is silky smooth, loose and easy; a hands hitter who attacks the ball out front and can drive it; very impressive hand-eye at the plate; natural ability to square up the ball; hit tool is going to be plus; power could be late to arrive but could also be plus; defense at short is shaky despite quick-twitch athleticism; wasn’t quick in his reactions to the ball; actions were a little stiff; arm looked average to solid-average; not as fast as I originally thought, more 55/60 run."

That's all I can see as a unsubscribed reader, does anyone have the rest of the content?

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)
"SS Tim Anderson: Body beautiful; plus athlete; swing is silky smooth, loose and easy; a hands hitter who attacks the ball out front and can drive it; very impressive hand-eye at the plate; natural ability to square up the ball; hit tool is going to be plus; power could be late to arrive but could also be plus; defense at short is shaky despite quick-twitch athleticism; wasn’t quick in his reactions to the ball; actions were a little stiff; arm looked average to solid-average; not as fast as I originally thought, more 55/60 run."

That's all I can see as a unsubscribed reader, does anyone have the rest of the content?

It's not much more than that. He says that he could be average defensively at SS and above average at 2B. Role 6 ceiling with a natural hitting skills that should make him a top prospect.

Wave of releases:

RHP's Dan Remenowsky, Kyle Bellamy and Diogenes Rosario

LHP Gregg Downing

INF Brent Tanner

A couple other guys are tweeting things that make me think they may be gone too, but trying to confirm.

Remenowsky and Bellamy were, at one time, in our T25 prospects lists. Bellamy had shoulder surgery, twice. Remenowsky just ran into a wall at AAA on three different trips.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
The cuts were inevitable. They had a lot of extra names in the organization. Nowhere to put those guys.

It's the end of an era for you, Matt, without Remenowsky.

Yeah, he has to find a new NDFA to jump on :)

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
The cuts were inevitable. They had a lot of extra names in the organization. Nowhere to put those guys.

It's the end of an era for you, Matt, without Remenowsky.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
Yeah, he has to find a new NDFA to jump on :)

His name is Mike Recchia. :wub:

Well, technically Mike was drafted, but the Sox got him from Indy ball after he was out of affiliated baseball.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 01:43 PM)
Wave of releases:

RHP's Dan Remenowsky, Kyle Bellamy and Diogenes Rosario

LHP Gregg Downing

INF Brent Tanner

A couple other guys are tweeting things that make me think they may be gone too, but trying to confirm.

Remenowsky and Bellamy were, at one time, in our T25 prospects lists. Bellamy had shoulder surgery, twice. Remenowsky just ran into a wall at AAA on three different trips.

Stew Brase ‏@sbrase12 22m

Got released from the White Sox yesterday... Thankful for the 3 seasons I spent with a great group of guys in a great organization! #Nation

There have been more releases that will become official soon, but for now suffice it to say things are very fluid.

Minor league rosters should be announced around 4/2 or so, if not before.

2nd FutureSox podcast (yes, the first one will be up soon, just getting past technical issues with hosting) is planned for recording the week of the 7th, and will cover the official rosters and some of the stories and surprises from that.

Trey Wimmer, catcher drafted just last year, tweets he is out of baseball. No idea what happened there - release, injury, retirement or what.

That one is a bit of a surprise, I thought he'd be starting in Kanny. I guess Dillon Haupt or Zach Fisher are there instead, or maybe Martin Medina. I doubt Sammy Ayala is ready for that jump.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 03:20 PM)
Trey Wimmer, catcher drafted just last year, tweets he is out of baseball. No idea what happened there - release, injury, retirement or what.

That one is a bit of a surprise, I thought he'd be starting in Kanny. I guess Dillon Haupt or Zach Fisher are there instead, or maybe Martin Medina. I doubt Sammy Ayala is ready for that jump.

He should be after 2 yrs at Bristol.

Just curious, what was Wimmer's signing bonus? Maybe it financed med school, which makes him a smart, practicle dude.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 08:58 PM)

Just curious, what was Wimmer's signing bonus? Maybe it financed med school, which makes him a smart, practicle dude.

23rd round, 10k or probably less. He spent that money simply living during his time in minor league ball.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 26, 2014 -> 08:58 PM)

As Dan said on Wimmer.

For Ayala, he only played sparingly both years at Bristol, so I'm not totally sure he's set for Kanny. Really hard to say, he may be there, but if I had to bet, I'd say he's at Great Falls. He's only played 57 games total over that two years, hasn't hit well, and has shown very low walk rates and K rates over 25%. He's also just 19 even now, so there is no need to rush him, especially as a catcher.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2014 -> 06:57 AM)
As Dan said on Wimmer.

For Ayala, he only played sparingly both years at Bristol, so I'm not totally sure he's set for Kanny. Really hard to say, he may be there, but if I had to bet, I'd say he's at Great Falls. He's only played 57 games total over that two years, hasn't hit well, and has shown very low walk rates and K rates over 25%. He's also just 19 even now, so there is no need to rush him, especially as a catcher.

Still, 3 years in Rookie Ball is a lot, maybe a record. Of course, they may not have room for him on the Kanny roster. If he is still a viable prospect, he needs to be playing as opposed to another 2.5 months in advanced ST. I never understood why he didn't play more last year....

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 08:08 AM)
Still, 3 years in Rookie Ball is a lot, maybe a record. Of course, they may not have room for him on the Kanny roster. If he is still a viable prospect, he needs to be playing as opposed to another 2.5 months in advanced ST. I never understood why he didn't play more last year....

From what he said last year, he was playing almost every day while in extended Spring Training.

Tons of roster movement going on. I'll try to summarize...

Releases: Mark Haddow, Eric Jaffe, Salvador Sanchez, Henry Mabee, Cody Puckett, Steven Upchurch, Eric Patterson

To Charlotte: Javy Guerra, Jared Mitchell

Most of the B-Ham roster is confirmed, all these guys have been assigned there to this point:

Catchers Kevan Smith and Miguel Gonzalez (wonder where Blanke is?)

INF's Chris Curley (should start at 3B), Rangel Ravelo (1B), Jeremy Farrell (bench), Jaime Pedroza (bench)

OF's Keenyn Walker, Trayce Thompson, Josh Richmond (there's your starters), and Joe DePinto

DH/1B: Christian Marrero

Pitchers: Chris Bassitt, Myles Jaye, Chris Beck and Terry Doyle (add Snodgress and that is your rotation), plus Nestor Molina, Frank de los Santos (L), Parker Frazier, Nelvin Fuentes (L), Nick McCully, Kevin Vance (leaves one open bullpen spot for one of Winiarski, Wendelken, or any number of other guys)

So the only question marks are one bullpen spot, and no confirmation on Micah Johnson or Tyler Saladino but they are your likely middle infielders. So really, everything but one bullpen spot are set.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
Who's playing 2B/SS besides Sanchez playing at AAA?

I have that same question. Charlotte has too many arms, but missing a starting IF and at least one bench IF, and I just can't see any names that make sense at that level. It is possible Charlotte goes one infielder short of typical for the short term while Beckham heals up, and keeps an extra pitcher around.

Technically, Saladino and Johnson haven't been re-assigned because they are already on B-Ham's roster, so it is possible one of them is in Charlotte. But it seems like it makes more sense, with Beckham probably back very soon, and Charlotte not starting until the 4th, to just short Charlotte one IF a few games (if that) and send them Semien back when Beckham returns.