2014 Minor League catch all thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)
I have that same question. Charlotte has too many arms, but missing a starting IF and at least one bench IF, and I just can't see any names that make sense at that level. It is possible Charlotte goes one infielder short of typical for the short term while Beckham heals up, and keeps an extra pitcher around.

Technically, Saladino and Johnson haven't been re-assigned because they are already on B-Ham's roster, so it is possible one of them is in Charlotte. But it seems like it makes more sense, with Beckham probably back very soon, and Charlotte not starting until the 4th, to just short Charlotte one IF a few games (if that) and send them Semien back when Beckham returns.

When does Charlotte kick off the season? You'd have to assume Keppinger and Beckham will rehab there until one or both of Semien and Garcia are optioned. Semien and Garcia both would start for Charlotte, I'd have to assume.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 04:45 PM)
When does Charlotte kick off the season? You'd have to assume Keppinger and Beckham will rehab there until one or both of Semien and Garcia are optioned. Semien and Garcia both would start for Charlotte, I'd have to assume.

I doubt Beckham rehabs in Charlotte, he hasn't been out very long, he'll just warm up in AZ then come to CHicago.

Keppinger, whenever he's ready, he'll need some rehab time yes.

Is Daniel Wagner still in the organization? He seems like a typical organizational MI that would be bumped to Charlotte until Semien/Garcia return.

Edit: Never mind, I just looked at tonight box score and see he played 2B for Birmingham.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Mar 28, 2014 -> 11:10 PM)
Is Daniel Wagner still in the organization? He seems like a typical organizational MI that would be bumped to Charlotte until Semien/Garcia return.

Edit: Never mind, I just looked at tonight box score and see he played 2B for Birmingham.

Yes, he's with B-Ham this year. And B-Ham's roster looks pretty finalzed too, if you check their site. None of the other ones look final yet.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 04:38 PM)
Yes, he's with B-Ham this year. And B-Ham's roster looks pretty finalzed too, if you check their site. None of the other ones look final yet.

Yea, I see that. Seems like Saladino is in Charlotte. I'm curious as to what happened to Blanke.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 05:37 PM)
Yea, I see that. Seems like Saladino is in Charlotte. I'm curious as to what happened to Blanke.

I was talking with Nathaniel Stoltz (FanGraphs) the other day, he said a couple scouts suggested converting Blanke to pitching. Apparently Blanke's arm isn't just strong, it's prolific. And with his knowledge of pitching/catching, he may be able to make that move. No word if that is actually happening or not - just supposition. More likely, Gimenez is released, and Blanke backs up Phegley at Charlotte (especially since Blanke is very good defensively and could maybe mentor Phegley in that regard).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 10:04 PM)
I was talking with Nathaniel Stoltz (FanGraphs) the other day, he said a couple scouts suggested converting Blanke to pitching. Apparently Blanke's arm isn't just strong, it's prolific. And with his knowledge of pitching/catching, he may be able to make that move. No word if that is actually happening or not - just supposition. More likely, Gimenez is released, and Blanke backs up Phegley at Charlotte (especially since Blanke is very good defensively and could maybe mentor Phegley in that regard).

I do not think prolific means what you think it means. /Princess Bride :lol:

Anyway, I will never understand the mentality behind 'hey this guy can throw far from outfield/catcher, let's make him a pitcher and see what happens.' So much to pitching to throw a 20-something veteran minor leaguer into that spot.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 12:01 AM)

Anyway, I will never understand the mentality behind 'hey this guy can throw far from outfield/catcher, let's make him a pitcher and see what happens.' So much to pitching to throw a 20-something veteran minor leaguer into that spot.

I think the mentality is that a big arm is something you can't teach. You couldn't teach Mark Buehrle how to throw 95, but you could teach him how to throw a cutter and pick a runner off.

If Blanke has the one advantage to pitching down, then maybe he can be taught the rest. I don't have a problem with doing it to a "failed" prospect. It has turned Sergio Santos and others in to major leaguers.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 12:01 AM)

Haha, yeah not sure why I chose that term. Not saying he can make it work either, just passing on a tidbit. We'll see.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 08:53 AM)
Too bad they couldn't have traded him for Nieto

Pretty sure it will take a lot more than that.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)
Some pictures of the Charlotte park. Wonder if a facility like that could be converted into a major league stadium.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/gallery/16801

I would guess so eventually, because it looks like the outfield seats could be expanded. Didn't get a really good look to see if there was an upper deck overlooking the infield, but that can help too.

What a gorgeous looking stadium though. I almost want to go to Charlotte just to see a game now.

It will be interesting to follow his progress after what happened with Hawkins last year.

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 30m

The Dodgers are sending 17-year-old Julio Urias to the High-A California League. Special arm who could make his MLB debut as a teenager.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 03:10 PM)
Jason Parks of BP absolutely loves Tim Anderson. In his most recent chat, he said he would be in his top 50 now.

Through my TuneIn Radio app, I listen to Fangraphs Audio and Fringe Average Baseball (Jason Parks) podcasts. Surprisingly they mention the White Sox system a lot on both shows. If anyone wants to hear some info on guys, check out those podcasts. In a recent Fangraphs Audio podcast, Nathan Stoltz was interviewed and since he lives in Winstom-Salem, he spent a large amount of time going over White Sox prospects. They talked about Marcus Semien and how he is a rare prospect that has no loud tool, but is above average at almost everything.

And yes, I've heard Jason Parks rave about Tim Anderson on the podcast as well. I forget who he compared him to as a prospect. Addison Russell maybe?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 4, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)

Good thing Birmingham is not in the same leage as Frisco.

That can happen here, and where the new stadium is, tornadoes have been coming close.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 2, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)
Some pictures of the Charlotte park. Wonder if a facility like that could be converted into a major league stadium.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/gallery/16801

That's a gem dandy. Anyone know how much tickets are for good seats? What's the area like? Meaning is there anything else noteworthy in the area? Any cheapish hotels within walking distance? I'm planning a trip, somewhere, in late July, and this might be taken into consideration.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 12:14 PM)
Jason Parks ‏@ProfessorParks 5m

Tim Anderson. RT @lot_49: @ProfessorParks Would you rather have Tim Anderson or Trea Turner in your organization?

Anderson is an intriguing piece to the puzzle. If he can't stick at SS, wonder how things shake out with him, Micah Johnson, Semien, and Eaton as to who plays what. That's not even taking into account what the organization thinks of Carlos Sanchez. The way they value power it would seem that Sanchez is more of a fall back option though.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 6, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
Anderson is an intriguing piece to the puzzle. If he can't stick at SS, wonder how things shake out with him, Micah Johnson, Semien, and Eaton as to who plays what. That's not even taking into account what the organization thinks of Carlos Sanchez. The way they value power it would seem that Sanchez is more of a fall back option though.

Anderson is far enough away that we really shouldn't be worrying about such things. Right now let's just hope we get 1 success out of the multliple middle infielders at teh upper levels.