2014 Minor League catch all thread

NorthSideSox72

Looking at the rotation the past couple of weeks, it looks like the starters for the upcoming Birmingham/Tennessee series will be McCully, Beck, Jaye, Snodgress, and Doyle. Anyone have anything different?

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Disco72 @ May 3, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)
Looking at the rotation the past couple of weeks, it looks like the starters for the upcoming Birmingham/Tennessee series will be McCully, Beck, Jaye, Snodgress, and Doyle. Anyone have anything different?

That's what I'm expecting.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 6, 2014 -> 06:18 PM)

And BA:

Francellis Montas, rhp, Winston-Salem (White Sox): After missing a month recovering from a torn meniscus in his knee, Montas made his season debut on Monday night. The righthander, who came over from the Red Sox with Cleuluis Rondon in the Jake Peavy trade last season, worked with primarily a 92-96 mph fastball with a couple of pitches hitting as high as 97. He also offered a mid-80s slider that flashed plus on occasion, and also showed a below-average changeup at the same velocity. With that mix, he was quite effective against the powerful Myrtle Beach club. He made two mistakes, a hanging slider to Jorge Alfaro that turned into a double, and a fastball left over the middle on the next pitch that Joey Gallo slashed for a run-scoring triple. He allowed just one more ball in the air for the rest of his outing, however, and struck out four over five innings.

Sickels released his system rankings

23) Chicago White Sox: Strengths include infield and leadoff options, speed, general athleticism, and some decent arms. The bad news is that some of the athletes can't actually play baseball very well. It looks like Courtney Hawkins was not ruined by his aggressive handling last year, and of course Jose Abreu leads the American League in home runs.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/5/7/56...system-rankings

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)
Seth Lakso ‏@SethLakso 1h

With a perfect 10th, Frank Francisco has not allowed an ER in six appearances (8 IP) with @KnightsBaseball. Has 1 BB, 4 H 12 Ks

They have to find room on the 40 man, but I definitely think Francisco is the next call up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2014 -> 02:42 PM)
With Sale and Paulino in line to return, and possibly Erik Johnson, I'm not sure how.

I don't think Cleto is long for this club. Also, not sure why Paulino would even come back. Release him and move on.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ May 7, 2014 -> 03:40 PM)
I don't think Cleto is long for this club. Also, not sure why Paulino would even come back. Release him and move on.

I agree. He has basically disappeared from being used in games. I am guessing the Cooper factor is setting in, and he has decided he isn't fixable.

I wouldn't be shocked with the way the pen has improved if Cleto is DFA'd for the next player coming off of the DL.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 7, 2014 -> 03:46 PM)
Nestor Molina is the easy guess to get booted off the 40. Frank DLS probably isn't long for it either.

I don't know how Cleto's ERA is 2.45 and they have been using him very sparingly. I think Fransisco, or even Guerra if that's who they prefer, will ultimately take the spot of Cleto.

You have to wonder what the Sox do with Paulino (he's pitching tomorrow FWIW). Carroll has pitched too well to get demoted and Noesi would be lost if he were to be sent down as well.

If I had to make a pecking order of most likely to be sent out, taking into account things like options, waivers, etc...

1. Cleto

2. Rienzo

3. Carroll

4. Noesi

5. Webb

6. Putnam

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 7, 2014 -> 04:43 PM)
Interesting that you put Webb over Putnam but otherwise I'd agree. Shouldn't get past the top 3 regardless.

Webb has also gotten buried in the pen. He is the garbage man right now, and isn't seeing any pressure situation. Even so, he is still managing to walk everything in sight. It was telling to me that Lindstrom was warming in the pen last night without the tying run at the plate yet.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 7, 2014 -> 10:42 PM)
Buddy Bell said today that Micah Johnson is likely to be promoted soon, to AAA. They just have to find him a spot to play.

Seems like that's about to get more complicated with Keppinger/Gillaspie returning.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 7, 2014 -> 11:42 PM)
Buddy Bell said today that Micah Johnson is likely to be promoted soon, to AAA. They just have to find him a spot to play.

Hasn't he been in a minor slump the past few games?? It will be interesting to see what the infield will be in 2 weeks.

Johnson-Semien-Davidson?? Or will Semien stay up and it will be Johnson-Sanchez-Davidson? Or will they try and put Johnson in the outfield

Could be our future infield if everything pans out..

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 7, 2014 -> 11:42 PM)

To be clear, what he said was "could be pretty soon". I wouldn't go thinking that means it is likely in a matter of days. After Keppinger returns and Semien or Garcia go down, you now have Semien/Garcia and Sanchez to play SS and 2B, so finding playing time is a tough nut to crack. You also have two 3B's on the AAA roster. I don't think Johnson sees AAA until something else gives, in terms of a trade, injury or release.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 8, 2014 -> 11:05 PM)
The velocity story with Johnson seems to be becoming a big issue

Yeah, it's definitely worrisome. He's so damn important to our future as we don't have any other top flight pitching prospects in our system. A couple guys could get there, but they're far major league ready. Johnson at his old velocity paired with Sale & Quintana gives you something to build around. Without him we're looking at a lot of question marks.

Fun fact: James Dysktra has a GO/AO of 5.09, through 6 starts. I've never seen a rate that high (other than like a 1 to 2 game fluke) from anyone. The next highest number in his league is around 3. That is one heavy fastball.