2014 Minor League catch all thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Capra was on White Sox Weekly just a few minutes ago:

- It sounds like the organization is fed up with Jared Mitchell. To quote Capra, "Mitchell is just a little too damn stubborn". I was shocked at how candid he was about Mitchell. He said they recently had a heart-to-heart with him about changing up some things at the plate.

- They really like Micah Johnson and Semien.

- Hawkins looks like a plus defender in LF, as he's made good changes at the plate. Capra said even if Hawkins was demoted last year, he probably still would have struggled.

- T. Anderson has shown he can stick at SS for now. Very streaky at the plate.

- M. Davidson has too many moving parts at the plate, so they're trying to fix that. He said Matt lost confidence early in the year, but they think he'll snap out of it.

- N. Fuentes is someone to keep an eye on in Birmingham, according to Capra.

- C. Beck has command issues, and his fastball is his best pitch of the 4 pitches he throws.

I heard that Capra interview. The sigh when Rongey asked about Mitchell was all you really needed to hear. But then he spoke, and it was pretty shocking how much he said.

Rongey also sounded dumb a couple times during that interview. It's obvious he didn't know Hawkins was at W-S last year, and didn't know about Anderson and Davidson's recent injuries.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 10, 2014 -> 04:16 PM)
I heard that Capra interview. The sigh when Rongey asked about Mitchell was all you really needed to hear. But then he spoke, and it was pretty shocking how much he said.

Rongey also sounded dumb a couple times during that interview. It's obvious he didn't know Hawkins was at W-S last year, and didn't know about Anderson and Davidson's recent injuries.

All he has to do is read SoxTalk once a day and he would know a lot more.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 10, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)
Capra was on White Sox Weekly just a few minutes ago:

- It sounds like the organization is fed up with Jared Mitchell. To quote Capra, "Mitchell is just a little too damn stubborn". I was shocked at how candid he was about Mitchell. He said they recently had a heart-to-heart with him about changing up some things at the plate.

- They really like Micah Johnson and Semien.

- Hawkins looks like a plus defender in LF, as he's made good changes at the plate. Capra said even if Hawkins was demoted last year, he probably still would have struggled.

- T. Anderson has shown he can stick at SS for now. Very streaky at the plate.

- M. Davidson has too many moving parts at the plate, so they're trying to fix that. He said Matt lost confidence early in the year, but they think he'll snap out of it.

- N. Fuentes is someone to keep an eye on in Birmingham, according to Capra.

- C. Beck has command issues, and his fastball is his best pitch of the 4 pitches he throws.

Maybe Fuentes will replace Francisco at Charlotte...

A few minor league splits I found interesting:

Hawkins has dominated RHP this year (.291, 8 HR, 1.011 OPS), but has struggled big time vs LHP (.206, 1HR, .641 OPS)

M. Johnson splits (RHP: .438/.532/.969) vs (LHP: .341/.257/.599)

Also, I believe Matt Davidson doubled his hit total at home today!!

QUOTE (fathom @ May 12, 2014 -> 06:38 PM)

Hawkins has dominated RHP this year (.291, 8 HR, 1.011 OPS), but has struggled big time vs LHP (.206, 1HR, .641 OPS)

I have a theory on the Hawkins split, based on the research I did for the most recent article I wrote on him. Even with the improvements he has made, he still has a weakness that is somewhat glaring - he usually has a hard time with pitches on the inside edge. On fastballs he chili-dips and flies open, on slower stuff he waves at it because he's too far ahead. Now, if you are a lefty pitcher facing a power-hitting righty who likes to get his arms extended, what is your plan with Hawkins? You run 2-seamers that start over the plate and end up on his hands, all day long. He'll struggle with that. Righties have a harder time with that, because the angle starts them off the plate to get the corner.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 11, 2014 -> 11:09 PM)
@jonmorosi: #Nats, #Angels, #WhiteSox had next-best draft classes during same 3-year period of '08-'10; all are above 30.0 WAR.

One player (Sale) makes all the difference. It is why the Sox shouldn't go cheap with pick #3 and pick their top player available, even if it costs them more than they were hoping.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 13, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
One player (Sale) makes all the difference. It is why the Sox shouldn't go cheap with pick #3 and pick their top player available, even if it costs them more than they were hoping.

Only one of those three teams had a top 10 pick during that time frame.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 12, 2014 -> 06:38 PM)

I assume that is a typo and Micah's BA vs. LHP should read .241, not .341

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 13, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)
Only one of those three teams had a top 10 pick during that time frame.

Incorrect. Beckham was a top 10 pick.

But all 3 are just because of 4 players,

Harper, Strasburg who both were #1. Storen and Crowe were top 10s with the Nationals.

Trout and Sale make up the majority of WAR for the other teams.

Sale, Beckham and Hudson are the only White Sox draft picks in that time frame with WARs higher than Jake Petricka's 1.3.

Besides Sale, and Beckham (who if I praise you accuse me of trolling) and Hudson, the collective WAR of the rest of the Sox draft picks in those 3 drafts is barely 3.0.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 13, 2014 -> 01:24 PM)
Incorrect. Beckham was a top 10 pick.

But all 3 are just because of 4 players,

Harper, Strasburg who both were #1. Storen and Crowe were top 10s with the Nationals.

Trout and Sale make up the majority of WAR for the other teams.

Sale, Beckham and Hudson are the only White Sox draft picks in that time frame with WARs higher than Jake Petricka's 1.3.

Besides Sale, and Beckham (who if I praise you accuse me of trolling) and Hudson, the collective WAR of the rest of the Sox draft picks in those 3 drafts is barely 3.0.

Jake Petricka has 1.3 WAR already?

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 1m

Second-round 2013 draft pick Tyler Danish (3-0, 0.71) getting promoted to Class A Winston-Salem.

He's dominated but still worries me they might be rushing him.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ May 14, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 1m

Second-round 2013 draft pick Tyler Danish (3-0, 0.71) getting promoted to Class A Winston-Salem.

He's dominated but still worries me they might be rushing him.

He's been so good, I don't mind the promotion. My concerns with him are not enflamed by a promotion. I'm more worried about how well more advanced hitters will handle his stuff, and this is a good test. They also supposedly have him on a 100 inning leash this season.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 14, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
He's been so good, I don't mind the promotion. My concerns with him are not enflamed by a promotion. I'm more worried about how well more advanced hitters will handle his stuff, and this is a good test. They also supposedly have him on a 100 inning leash this season.

Wow, that seems pretty conservative but probably a good approach until he builds up enough arm strength for a heavy workload. I like the fact that they are being conservative with him, he could be something special if he puts it all together.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 14, 2014 -> 03:49 PM)
I'm fine with him going to High-A. That's not a terribly huge jump. But they better leave him in High-A the rest of the season (barring playoff experiences). Jumping up again to AA in a couple months may be too large a task.

Not saying you in particular, but I do find it funny that you mentioned it's not a particularly big jump from low A to high A (and I agree), yet people wanted Hawkins demoted to Kannapolis last year while he was going through his struggles because they felt his assignment was too aggressive yet Kannapolis would have suddenly fixed everything.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 14, 2014 -> 04:49 PM)
I'm fine with him going to High-A. That's not a terribly huge jump. But they better leave him in High-A the rest of the season (barring playoff experiences). Jumping up again to AA in a couple months may be too large a task.

He's thrown 38 innings this year so far, so if he's on a 100 inning limit as NSS said, really hard to make any additional promotions work.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 14, 2014 -> 03:56 PM)
Not saying you in particular, but I do find it funny that you mentioned it's not a particularly big jump from low A to high A (and I agree), yet people wanted Hawkins demoted to Kannapolis last year while he was going through his struggles because they felt his assignment was too aggressive yet Kannapolis would have suddenly fixed everything.

For the record, I've never said anything about Hawkins being assigned too aggressively. I try not to get too high or low on anyone until they make AA. That's when the real talent is present and even across the board. The A-ball levels are too much of a crapshoot.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 15, 2014 -> 02:50 AM)
For the record, I've never said anything about Hawkins being assigned too aggressively. I try not to get too high or low on anyone until they make AA. That's when the real talent is present and even across the board. The A-ball levels are too much of a crapshoot.

No, I never said you did, just thought it was an interesting take.