2014 Minor League catch all thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 23, 2014 -> 05:36 PM)
Yeah but Ortiz and Lowry are intriguing arms, and Lowry's had one start - and has a 1.80 ERA. Jaye still has potential too.

Yes, I agree on Lowry and Ortiz. Jaye has never intrigued me, not sure why, gut feel I guess.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 25, 2014 -> 07:43 PM)
Well I'm glad they finally got rid of that bum. I hated him here and I hated when he resigned.

He was never anything more than minor league filler who was in the right place when the right guys got hurt and traded.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 25, 2014 -> 07:43 PM)
Well I'm glad they finally got rid of that bum. I hated him here and I hated when he resigned.

Kind of a bizarre guy to hate. He played what, a couple dozen games total for the Sox? Hard to even remember a guy based off of that few games, much less hate him.

It's not like we're talking about Keppinger here.

Edited by Señor Ding-Dong

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 27, 2014 -> 10:23 AM)
Hardin also got promoted to Birmingham. Why would they send Basto to extended ST? He was hitting well

Basto is a pretty awful defensive infielder, has been all along. That's problem one. And while he was making good contact and hitting for average, he wasn't getting on base much, or hitting for much power, so he was hitting somewhat well but nothing to stand out. If he can't handle the position defensively, that's an issue.

Also: Christian Stringer promoted to Kannapolis. I was surprised Shryock got that job over him to begin with, it will be interesting to see how they manage playing time in Kanny with Shryock and Stringer with Rondon there, and the need to give Kenny's kid playing time (ugh) as well. That kept Voight from full time play.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2014 -> 10:44 AM)
Basto is a pretty awful defensive infielder, has been all along. That's problem one. And while he was making good contact and hitting for average, he wasn't getting on base much, or hitting for much power, so he was hitting somewhat well but nothing to stand out. If he can't handle the position defensively, that's an issue.

Also: Christian Stringer promoted to Kannapolis. I was surprised Shryock got that job over him to begin with, it will be interesting to see how they manage playing time in Kanny with Shryock and Stringer with Rondon there, and the need to give Kenny's kid playing time (ugh) as well. That kept Voight from full time play.

Not this again, Can we just get rid of this guy?

:huh

QUOTE (balfanman @ May 28, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
Not this again, Can we just get rid of this guy?

:huh

In fairness, he did actually start the season hot for a week or two. No he's back to being more or less what he was, which is not a guy who belongs getting starting time.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 28, 2014 -> 05:54 PM)
Didn't we draft one of those Guillens a few years and he expressed indignation at either the contract offer, or that we had waited so late to draft him? Any Guillens left in the minors?

Last I heard, the one we drafted is playing indy ball.

Yes, I believe that was Ozney. The allegation is that nobody wanted to draft him since it was common knowledge that we were going to draft him. When we "waited" until the 20th round to pick him, that was not indicative of his true value because if his last name was not Guillen he would have been taken much higher. That's what they said, at least.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 29, 2014 -> 12:59 AM)
Yes, I believe that was Ozney. The allegation is that nobody wanted to draft him since it was common knowledge that we were going to draft him. When we "waited" until the 20th round to pick him, that was not indicative of his true value because if his last name was not Guillen he would have been taken much higher. That's what they said, at least.

Yes, Ozney was considered a superior prospect, top 10 round talent, but nobody wanted him because of that. Ozzie got pissed because they waited to draft him till the 20th round. I believe that started over Oney too (draft KW Jr in the 5th but Ozney in the 20th hmmmm)