2014 Minor League catch all thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)
Keenyn Walker demoted to Winston-Salem. His line at Birmingham between 2013 and 2014 is .192/.303/.269. Ouch.

He is so bad. Heisler to the DL for the Dash. Richmond activated from the DL for the Barons.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 01:24 PM)
You should also see Walker's Twitter timeline. Dude wears his heart on his sleeve, and he was saying he feels like no one has his back. That won't go over well with the Sox if they see that.

Yeah that's kind of scary. To be fair, he hasn't exactly done anything since he has gotten to pro ball.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 01:24 PM)
You should also see Walker's Twitter timeline. Dude wears his heart on his sleeve, and he was saying he feels like no one has his back. That won't go over well with the Sox if they see that.

I looked at that too after I saw he was demoted. Bad.

I'd really like to know if the Sox or any teams highly recommend players stay away from social media. It can really only get them in trouble, especially if they're using it to see what people are saying about them.

Gordon Beckham had a pretty good interview where he was hitting on this subject.

http://thegamechicago.com/2014/05/31/white.../#axzz33Upp1Mde

It's actually the opposite, everyone takes his back, well the opposing pitchers do anyway.

It's bad when you look at Joey Gathright as a comp and then say "if only he could turn out like that..."

It's about time we just clear all these bad OFers out of here. Enough with all the hitters with massive K problems already. When it comes to hitters we just can't seem to find that middle ground between raw talent that can't play baseball and baseball players with low ceilings.

And trade Hawkins soon please while he still has some value.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
And trade Hawkins soon please while he still has some value.

You can't be serious. His value to another org is very low, while the potential value to the Sox could still be quite high.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
You can't be serious. His value to another org is very low, while the potential value to the Sox could still be quite high.

His K% is at 27% right now. Not that at all bad, and definitely better than last year.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
Yeah that's kind of scary. To be fair, he hasn't exactly done anything since he has gotten to pro ball.

Keenyn Walker

‏@Keenyn_Walker

This is by far the worst feeling I think I've ever had! Feels like I'm the only one that has my back!

Is he high? He's .155/.231/.236 this year, the Sox have his back by doing him a favor and demoting him. Which is what they should of done with Hawkins last year, IMO.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)

Going off the poster above you (he's only 20) is kind of what I mean. Maybe his value to some teams is low, but there's at least some team out there with their own Buddy Bell sitting there dreaming over the guy and looking at him as a "must buy" player who in short order will gain so much value that he won't be available at all.

The floor on any prospect with makeup issues & K issues to boot is not even a Major League player. I'm not saying trade the guy for scraps but when Hahn is out there looking for a young MLB-ready or pre-arb MLB proven piece to add to the core so that we have a hope of contending next year, Hawkins should be part of that package. And if you can find the perfect storm of a situation where you can trade him to someone else's Buddy Bell then that's just wonderful. I mean just imagine if Jared Mitchell had been on another team while the Sox were trading proven players, who might we have more or less dumped to pick him up?

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)
Keenyn Walker

‏@Keenyn_Walker

This is by far the worst feeling I think I've ever had! Feels like I'm the only one that has my back!

Is he high? He's .155/.231/.236 this year, the Sox have his back by doing him a favor and demoting him. Which is what they should of done with Hawkins last year, IMO.

Hmm... After reading an article about Taj Gibson's 6-year old cousin being murdered and then coming across this next, it's really hard to feel sorry for the guy.

Being demoted is the worst thing that's ever happened to him? He must have a pretty awesome life then. Tons of people would love to be a minor league player in an MLB organization, and here he is acting like his life is ending.

What has he done throughout his career to justify this entitlement? He's been a bust basically since he's been drafted. When you're hitting .150 in AA after barely hitting .200 the previous year, then obviously something needs to be done. He and Jared Mitchell should be thankful they haven't been released already.

And I'll tell you what, if he takes this attitude with him on the field in WS then he probably won't be successful there either.

Dude needs to quit whining and get some perspective.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jun 2, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)
Going off the poster above you (he's only 20) is kind of what I mean. Maybe his value to some teams is low, but there's at least some team out there with their own Buddy Bell sitting there dreaming over the guy and looking at him as a "must buy" player who in short order will gain so much value that he won't be available at all.

The floor on any prospect with makeup issues & K issues to boot is not even a Major League player. I'm not saying trade the guy for scraps but when Hahn is out there looking for a young MLB-ready or pre-arb MLB proven piece to add to the core so that we have a hope of contending next year, Hawkins should be part of that package. And if you can find the perfect storm of a situation where you can trade him to someone else's Buddy Bell then that's just wonderful. I mean just imagine if Jared Mitchell had been on another team while the Sox were trading proven players, who might we have more or less dumped to pick him up?

What exactly are Hawkins' makeup issues??

From Cistulli's Fringe Five, upon which Semien was featured highly and loudly all last year, we have from Montas love: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-fringe-...e-prospects-28/

Francellis Montas, RHP, Chicago AL (Profile)

Because his season only began on May 5th, the right-handed Montas was omitted from the earliest editions of this column. At the moment, however, it’s difficult to conceive of a scenario in which he wouldn’t appear with some regularity henceforth. After his debut last week among the Five, the 21-year-old proceeded to face other frequent MoF*, Wesley Parsons, in a Carolina League game on June 1st. Montas produced the better line of the two, recording a 6:0 strikeout-to-walk ratio against 27 batters over 7.0 innings (box). The most encouraging development for Montas remains his control. After having posted a 10.9% walk rate in 191.2 professional innings before this season, he’s walked batters at about only a third of that rate in 2014 so far.

Another encouraging development probably is Montas’s changeup, recent footage of which one can find here — specifically, to Atlanta prospect Levi Hyams:

GIF

And here, as well, except much slower to Hyams:

GIF

*Member of the Five.