2014 Minor League catch all thread

NorthSideSox72

On a side note, with the new prospects and the draft and the existing players and prospects,

where do the sox stand with ref to the 40 man rosters. i don't remember all the rules

concerning that.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 05:04 PM)
On a side note, with the new prospects and the draft and the existing players and prospects,

where do the sox stand with ref to the 40 man rosters. i don't remember all the rules

concerning that.

40 man roster not an issue with White Sox. Unfortunately, it is loaded with players who have little or no chance of making a contribution anytime. There are probably 7-8 players on it who fit that description, partially offset by two guys on the 60 day DL.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 03:41 PM)
If the Sox are well out of contention in September, and they don't have a major 40-man roster issue at that point, and if Zaleski has pitched well in AAA... I wouldn't be surprised if they add him to the 40 just to give him a September appearance like that. Then after the season they can DFA him to free up the spot again, I don't think he's a claim risk anyway.

It would certainly be a nice story.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 11:37 PM)
40 man roster not an issue with White Sox. Unfortunately, it is loaded with players who have little or no chance of making a contribution anytime. There are probably 7-8 players on it who fit that description, partially offset by two guys on the 60 day DL.

thanks for the update.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 12, 2014 -> 05:37 PM)

Frankly, this is true of all 30 teams.

From BA's hot sheet chat:

Tim (Chicago): What is your take on Francellis Montas? He has seemed to find his control this season, what is his ceiling?

J.J. Cooper: He’s got monster stuff. Reyes may be the best stuff I’ve seen personally this year, but Montas is in that top group. Still not sure he’s a starter, but he’s got a very good shot at being a power reliever.

Steve (Chicago): Tim Anderson has racked up some big error totals so far this year, but have you heard anything recently about his ability at SS?

J.J. Cooper: He’s making a lot of young player errors, but there are questions about whether he has the hands and actions to stick there long term. Worried less about the errors and more about whether he’s got true shortstop actions.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/base...hot-sheet-chat/

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 04:46 PM)
Looks like the Sox got Henry Rodriguez too. He appears on the Knights roster on the 7 day D.L.

I saw that too. That's interesting. He throws extremely hard with a decent slider, if he can just cut down the walks he would be good. But I doubt that happens, but doesn't hurt to take a flier on him.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Jun 14, 2014 -> 10:04 PM)
Jared Mitchell, Keenyn Walker, and now Chevy Clarke comprise one crappy, former 1st-round outfield trio.

Keenyn Walker was a supplemental round draft pick. There is a talent drop off after the first round.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/spo...eased/10513435/

Interesting that they listed Bradley Salgado as a pitcher. Could be a mistake, but could be a position change.

Yeah they did convert him to picther. He made 3 relief appearances for Voyagers last year.

Was mid 80's with solid slider around the time he was drafted per Perfect Game.

http://insider.espn.go.com/fantasy/basebal...ll?refresh=true

It's an insider piece on ESPN about relevent fantasy prospects, but focuses on Matt Davidson. If you aren't a insider, the content is posted below:

When the Chicago White Sox traded closer Addison Reed to the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for third baseman Matt Davidson, the assumption was that they were not only getting their third baseman of the future, but also the player who was going to man the hot corner for the White Sox in 2014. Chicago sent him down a week before the regular season started, but the assumption was that he would be a full-time member of the White Sox in a relatively short amount of time.

Unfortunately for the White Sox -- and Davidson's fantasy owners -- things haven't gone as planned for the right-handed-hitting third baseman. His overall OPS of .608 at Triple-A Charlotte is 223 points below what it was in 2013 for Triple-A Reno in the Diamondbacks system, and his 85 strikeouts lead the International League. He has particularly struggled against right-handed pitching, as his OPS against righties is just .550, and he's striking out in more than a third of his at-bats against said pitchers.

Matt Davidson is hitting just .180, with 85 K's in 61 games, at Triple-A Charlotte.

"He isn't making adjustments at all," one NL area scout said. "I was expecting [Davidson] to be one of the better hitters in my area. A hitter of his talent should be crushing the mediocre pitchers he sees in those third and fourth at bats, but that hasn't been the case at all. I don't like to use the word regression, but I think we've seen that."

Last year Davidson showed above-average to plus power to all parts of the field, with a smooth swing and above-average bat speed that has just enough natural loft to project 20-25 homer seasons. He wasn't a walk machine, but the 2009 first-round pick worked counts into his favor, and he was showing improved pitch recognition. He's an average defender at third base who has below-average speed, but his instincts were quick enough to project that he wouldn't have to move over to first for several seasons.

Outside of the defense, 2014 has seen very few of those qualities carry over. And yet despite his struggles, there's still reason for optimism with Davidson. He has hit four homers in the month of June, and at the age of 23, there's still plenty of time for him to become the regular that many thought he would be at this point.

"There's no reason to give up on him yet," an NL Central scout said. "To me, this is still the best hitting prospect in the White Sox system, and I've still seen enough in 2014 to make me think he's going to be a quality big leaguer. He might not be a middle-of-the-order hitter, but I still see a third baseman who can give you 30-40 extra-base hits and get on base at a reasonable rate."

Those of you who own Davidson in keeper leagues should hang on to Davidson, as you'd be selling low on a hitter who still has talent. Those of you who have him on your bench for 2014, however, should probably look elsewhere if you're looking for a corner infielder to help you at some point this summer.

Charlotte Knights ‏@KnightsBaseball 48s

ROSTER MOVES: Michael Taylor officially added to #CLTKnights, takes Jared Mitchell's roster spot. Mitchell sent to @BhamBarons.

Taylor takes Mitchell's spot in Charlotte's outfield. Mitchell demoted to Birmingham

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
Charlotte Knights ‏@KnightsBaseball 48s

ROSTER MOVES: Michael Taylor officially added to #CLTKnights, takes Jared Mitchell's roster spot. Mitchell sent to @BhamBarons.

Taylor takes Mitchell's spot in Charlotte's outfield. Mitchell demoted to Birmingham

There were a few guys they could have demoted or waived. I'm surprised they demoted Mitchell. Shocked really. I think this is the unofficial pulling of the plug.

Charlotte Knights ‏@KnightsBaseball 57s

Also, Tommy Hanson placed on DL, Parker Frazier promoted to #CLT from @BhamBarons

Tommy Hanson placed on DL, Parker Frazier promoted to Charlotte. Frazier had 2.62 ERA over 34.1 innings for the Barons.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
There were a few guys they could have demoted or waived. I'm surprised they demoted Mitchell. Shocked really. I think this is the unofficial pulling of the plug.

He was demoted to Birmingham last year as well. He actually spent much more time in Birmingham then he did in Charlotte in 2013. He's been circling the drain for awhile.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
He was demoted to Birmingham last year as well. He actually spent much more time in Birmingham then he did in Charlotte in 2013. He's been circling the drain for awhile.

Definitely, but to me the difference is last year he was so brutal it was the only thing they could do. This year, it wasn't like guys like Tekotte were heads and shoulders above him performance-wise. Maybe they just had to see him fail one more time to get it out of their system, but I think BUST is now official.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
Definitely, but to me the difference is last year he was so brutal it was the only thing they could do. This year, it wasn't like guys like Tekotte were heads and shoulders above him performance-wise. Maybe they just had to see him fail one more time to get it out of their system, but I think BUST is now official.

He posted a .296/.417/.435 line in Kannapolis at age 20 and things looked bright. I wonder how his career would of played out if he didn't break his leg and miss 2010.