2014 Minor League catch all thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 02:35 AM)
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB 9m

Solid regular. He's better than I originally thought. @IIIWoodD: what do you think Micah Johnsons ceiling is? @WhiteSox

Reply 2 Retweet Favorite

Yesterday, Keith Law seemed to say that Johnson was a top 100 prospect

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 21, 2014 -> 02:36 AM)
Yesterday, Keith Law seemed to say that Johnson was a top 100 prospect

wow, right now MJ is on fire, world beater. I like it, but to say what would his ceiling be, for me

I need to see him even out, let his hot streak end, but in the mean time, enjoy the ride.

Tim Anderson will be in Jason Parks' Top 50 prospects in baseball.

Jason Parks @ProfessorParks · 18m

He made it. RT @Dayshift34: @ProfessorParks Tim Anderson gonna be in that Top 50? Or am I just projecting my feelings onto the Top 50?

ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 0 times FavoriteFavorited 1 time1

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 20, 2014 -> 08:35 PM)
Jim Callis ‏@jimcallisMLB 9m

Solid regular. He's better than I originally thought. @IIIWoodD: what do you think Micah Johnsons ceiling is? @WhiteSox

Reply 2 Retweet Favorite

I want to quote this so people read it again. People take these scouts' opinions at face value at all times without watching players or looking at numbers and forming their own opinions. These scouts may see these guys when they are playing poorly or hurt or whatever and may not have a proper read on a player.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 08:22 PM)
Is it weird that I'm still pissed the Sox didn't call up Tom Collaro in 2007 when everything went to s***? Sure he would have struck out in 80% of his AB's but it would have been FUUUUUNNNNNN.

Heck, we wouldn't bring up Gio Gonzales in 2007.

Guillen had enough of Ryan Sweeney after 2 weeks...he insisted on Jerry Owens.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 08:22 PM)
Is it weird that I'm still pissed the Sox didn't call up Tom Collaro in 2007 when everything went to s***? Sure he would have struck out in 80% of his AB's but it would have been FUUUUUNNNNNN.

Micah Schnurstein.

By the way, file this under "probably nothing but caught my eye"...

Josh Phegley was taken out after the 6th inning last night. Skinner doesn't normally pinch-hit for guys, and it certainly is unusual with a catcher unless there was an injury. But when Set Lakso asked Skinner about it, Skinner said he's perfectly healthy, no injury, he's fine.

Hm.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 08:09 AM)
By the way, file this under "probably nothing but caught my eye"...

Josh Phegley was taken out after the 6th inning last night. Skinner doesn't normally pinch-hit for guys, and it certainly is unusual with a catcher unless there was an injury. But when Set Lakso asked Skinner about it, Skinner said he's perfectly healthy, no injury, he's fine.

Hm.

Has he gotten to the point where they want to bring in a defensive replacement when they have a lead? They were up 6-0 when the change was made.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/chat/cha...=1403635205#new

Jordan Gorosh had a chat at BP today and touched a few White Sox prospects. I'll summarize below....

Gorosh wrote that he "really, really likes" Tim Anderson. Which, in my opinion, is just about as close to love as you'll get without adding in another "really." He says that he has strong hands and wrists, plus bat speed, and excellent athleticism. But he is not a believer he will stick at SS.

Erik Johnson velocity slipped into the high 80's and slider lost some "bite." Said he is a fan of him becoming a "back end" starter if the velocity returns. Woo.

Not a big believer that Rangel Ravelo will develop power. Said that at his "absolutely peak" he is Yonder Alfonso, which this past off-season would of been a huge compliment, but now probably not so much.

I see Johnson as either a 2-3 type of starter or toiling in AAA forever. No middle ground. If he gets "his stuff" back, he's going to be good. If he doesn't, I don't see any reason to think he's worth a s***.

Roster moves recap:

--Danish to DL, Tommy Thompson says no big deal, precautionary

--Walker activated

--Heisler to Restricted (Susp) list

--David Putnam from KAN to WS

--Tyler Barnette to DL for KAN

--KAN roster at 23, no filling moves yet

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
Roster moves recap:

--Danish to DL, Tommy Thompson says no big deal, precautionary

--Walker activated

--Heisler to Restricted (Susp) list

--David Putnam from KAN to WS

--Tyler Barnette to DL for KAN

--KAN roster at 23, no filling moves yet

What is the given "injury" of Danish?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 09:41 PM)
I see Johnson as either a 2-3 type of starter or toiling in AAA forever. No middle ground. If he gets "his stuff" back, he's going to be good. If he doesn't, I don't see any reason to think he's worth a s***.

I respect what you are saying, I would like to disagree with you. you actually saw Johnson as Jose Q or Danks

equal? that is a #2 / 3 pitcher.

I saw him more of solid #5 maybe with upside of #4.....

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 04:34 PM)
What is the given "injury" of Danish?

Official releases put it as "undisclosed injury", then were quick to say it was no big deal, etc. We don't have any further information.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 04:54 PM)
Something tells me they just want Danish to take a break and pitch later in the season with his innings limit

Could be that as well.