2014 Minor League catch all thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 07:41 PM)
It's not worth being worried about right now. It's a concern and he'll need to show improvement,

but suggesting a positional change at this point in his career is just silly. It'd be like suggesting

Montas or Danish move to the bullpen because they don't have the requisite secondary pitch at this point in their careers.

There's no need to get snippy. You've continually harped on Anderson's defense and the

response has always been "he needs more time." You can't make a conclusion that a guy is unfit for a position after a year and a half of professional experience.

IF a positional change does come about, it's going to be to the outfield. He's struggled with fielding and making throws across the infield, but never lateral range or quickness in the field. Knowing that, moving him to 3B, where the throw is longer and the balls come in faster, would be an unmitigated disaster.

and look at the other post where you said the same thing, however look on top of

that page, I wrote that others said is will come in time like a blank page.

it is just simple conversing and talking. I am not preaching or anything.

it is conversation and that is what this forum is about.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 06:29 PM)
If the Sox don't land Moncoda, I think that they should go after Bryan Emery, who is a left handed hitting OF from the DR and could'nt come to terms with the Yankees or Padres during July 2nd.

http://padrespublic.com/sacrifice-bunt/pad...-sign-the-rest/

Emery signed with the Yankees yesterday.

More high praise about Tim Anderson:

Comment From Tony G.

I'm obsessed with the American League. Who are a few of your favourite prospects to watch in 2015?

12:20

Kiley McDaniel: I think you should contact the producers of My Strange Addiction because you might be able to get on TV because of this. I'll go with White Sox SS Tim Anderson as a fun to watch guy

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 8, 2014 -> 10:57 PM)
Comment From Guest

Montas looking, er, pitching-wise like a SP or still likely a RP?

12:55

Kiley McDaniel: Probably RP, but still has a chance to figure it out.

I really don't understand this....He made 15 starts, had a 1.44 ERA, a 0.914 Whip, and 80/22 K/BB ratio....What is left to figure out? I can understand questioning if what he did was "legit" or if he can duplicate anything near that, but I don't really understand the whole "figure it out" after the season he had.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 11:49 AM)
I really don't understand this....He made 15 starts, had a 1.44 ERA, a 0.914 Whip, and 80/22 K/BB ratio....What is left to figure out? I can understand questioning if what he did was "legit" or if he can duplicate anything near that, but I don't really understand the whole "figure it out" after the season he had.

That was A and AA. He has a long way to go.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
Sox sign SS Juan Diaz, RP Logan Kensing and RP Joe Savery to minor league deals.

Joe Savery was a 1st round pick from the Phillies just like Gavin Floyd. Did we hit the jackpot again?????? (PS Adam LaRoche play 1st base for the Washington Nationals - Adam Dunn play 1st base for the Washington Nationals before we sign him. I hope he can hit ??????????????

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 01:10 PM)
That was A and AA. He has a long way to go.

I'm aware, but still those numbers don't look like a pitcher who still has to "Figure it out".

He was a pitcher who previously needed to figure it out.

When I think "Figure it out" I think a guy like Braulio Ortiz who has a big arm but has failed to do much of anything.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)
I'm aware, but still those numbers don't look like a pitcher who still has to "Figure it out".

He was a pitcher who previously needed to figure it out.

When I think "Figure it out" I think a guy like Braulio Ortiz who has a big arm but has failed to do much of anything.

He still has a lot of work to do. Read up on him.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)
Wouldn't know where to begin. Certainly nothing telling in his numbers.

Not trying to be sarcastic but try to google " frank Montas scouting report" and look for some more recent articles written about him. That's what I do when I want to find out about a player. Google their name with "scouting report" after it. Happy hunting.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 06:00 PM)
He has control issues and no third pitch at this time.

At what point do you say he HAD control issues.

BB/9

Lucas Giolito- 2.6

Archie Bradley- 5.3

Noah Syndergaard- 2.9

Jon Gray- 3.0

Dylan Bundy- 5.4

Frank Mantas- 2.4

That's your top 5 ranked pitchers. Montas had better walk numbers than all of em.

The changeup from what I've read doesn't sound like a bad offering, I guess you can say he can "figure that out" but when you have a ++ fastball and a +slider I think you can get away with an average changeup.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 06:19 PM)

BB/9

Lucas Giolito- 2.6

Archie Bradley- 5.3

Noah Syndergaard- 2.9

Jon Gray- 3.0

Dylan Bundy- 5.4

Frank Mantas- 2.4

That's your top 5 ranked pitchers. Montas had better walk numbers than all of em.

The changeup from what I've read doesn't sound like a bad offering, I guess you can say he can "figure that out" but when you have a ++ fastball and a +slider I think you can get away with an average changeup.

He's likely > a year from the big leagues. Plenty of time to turn the change into a + pitch.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 05:19 PM)

BB/9

Lucas Giolito- 2.6

Archie Bradley- 5.3

Noah Syndergaard- 2.9

Jon Gray- 3.0

Dylan Bundy- 5.4

Frank Mantas- 2.4

His change up is not an MLB pitch yet, maybe a 40, and it sounds like his slider is only about a 50 that plays up because of the velocity of his fastball. Without that change up, cutter, split finger, or something to keep lefties honest, they will hit him very hard at the MLB level.

You keep starting him until it seems fairly obvious that he can or cannot start, but projecting him to be a reliever is not a bad thing because he has the potential to be a dominant reliever.

For reference's sake, at the tender age of 23, Andre Rienzo put up a 2.53 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, 9.8 K/9, 3.7 BB/9, and a 0.2 HR/9 in 103.1 IP between A+, AA, and AAA. It was believed that he was pitching between 92-95 with sharp breaking stuff and developing offspeed pitches. How do you view him now?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 12:14 AM)
I agree on the first two paragraphs but you can't compare him to Rienzo based on his fastball alone. That is where Montas's success and hype is coming from. Who was the last Sox starting pitcher prospect to throw 100 MPH for us and have stats like his (SSS)?

I am guessing probably none. The last guy I can think of with that combo is Bobby Jenks, but he wasn't starting.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 12:14 AM)
I agree on the first two paragraphs but you can't compare him to Rienzo based on his fastball alone. That is where Montas's success and hype is coming from. Who was the last Sox starting pitcher prospect to throw 100 MPH for us and have stats like his (SSS)?

Just a frame of reference. I agree that Montas is clearly a superior pitching prospect and he has the tools to succeed in the majors, but it's not about looking at his numbers. Seeing that he can control his stuff is nice, and seeing that he gets strikeouts is nice, but we'll really know if he's figured it out if his change up gets to the point where it's generating some swings and misses. If it does, he should end up with a K/9 in the minors over 10+ because a huge fastball, good slider, and good change will generate a lot of swings and misses.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 05:00 PM)
He has control issues and no third pitch at this time.

You must have read his scouting report from 2013 when he was in Boston. McDaniel said scouts say his change-up flashes above average. While that may not mean he has 3 "plus" pitches yet, he certainly has a plus secondary offering and a 3rd pitch.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 01:58 AM)
You must have read his scouting report from 2013 when he was in Boston. McDaniel said scouts say his change-up flashes above average. While that may not mean he has 3 "plus" pitches yet, he certainly has a plus secondary offering and a 3rd pitch.

Here is one from October. There is a lot to be excited about, but there still are some caution signs:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/scou...ncellis-montas/

Edited by Dick Allen