2014 Minor League catch all thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 28, 2014 -> 10:53 AM)
http://www.milb.com/content/page.jsp?ymd=2...&vkey=stats

According to this, Sox also have signed 24 year old RHP Brett Marshall to minor league deal. Was with the Reds last.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/pros...13/2614299.html

Background: When the Yankees didn't sign first-rounder Gerrit Cole in 2008, Marshall wound up with the largest bonus in their draft class—$850,000 in the sixth round. He struggled mightily before having Tommy John in surgery 2009, but he hasn't missed a start and has gone 26-16, 3.41 since returning. He led Trenton to the Eastern League finals in 2012, topping the system with 13 wins and ranking fourth with 120 strikeouts.

Scouting Report: New York originally wanted Marshall to pitch off his fastball and curveball. Since his elbow reconstruction, he has found a consistent high three-quarters slot and pounded the strike zone with a 90-94 mph fastball and the system's best changeup. Both pitches have similar sinking action and come from the same release point. His changeup arrives at 77-80 mph and made him more effective against lefthanders (.677 OPS) than righthanders (.724) in 2012. A fairly long arm action makes it hard for Marshall to maintain the release point on his two breaking balls. He still throws a show-me curve early in counts, but his mid-80s slider has more potential. It lacks consistency but flashes occasional bite. It's an average pitch that helps him get grounders rather than strikeouts.

The Future: Marshall profiles as a durable, sinkerballing No. 4 starter. He's slated to see his first Triple-A action at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in 2013.

His transactions history says he already signed a contract with Colorado, which is weird.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
Why? Keith Law doesn't hate the White Sox, never has, and previously was calling it liked he saw it. He didn't see Sale as anything other than a potential reliever and then stated that he never saw Sale's slider turning into a plus-plus pitch, like it has. He saw him as fastball-change.

Frankly, what the Sox have been able to do with Sale is incredible. There is no way any team other than the Sox saw him like this or he would have gone #1 overall.

Plus Montas is practically a Red Sox prospect anyways. :)

I'll never forget Keith Law saying in like 2011 that a good Halloween costume would be to go as Alexei Ramirez by wearing a black shirt and wildly swinging a bat around, never actually making contact with anything. One of the most asinine comments I've ever seen from him, insinuating Alexei has contact issues.

Also, couldn't it be possible the 17 teams AFTER the Sox in that draft may have thought Sale was an ace? I mean, it's not like he was taken in the 2nd round.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 28, 2014 -> 10:16 PM)
I'll never forget Keith Law saying in like 2011 that a good Halloween costume would be to go as Alexei Ramirez by wearing a black shirt and wildly swinging a bat around, never actually making contact with anything. One of the most asinine comments I've ever seen from him, insinuating Alexei has contact issues.

Also, couldn't it be possible the 17 teams AFTER the Sox in that draft may have thought Sale was an ace? I mean, it's not like he was taken in the 2nd round.

There were rumors of Sale going in the top 10 too. All I'm saying is that Keith Law felt he was a reliever and he didn't think he had the slider he did. Sometimes they see guys on an off day or they get bad info and they're wrong. It doesn't mean they hate them or that they're totally uncredible or biased.

I do remember the Lexi thing though, that was ridiculous.