Sox vs Twins April 3 game thread

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 03:54 PM)
Heartbreaking loss. Good news is in 2005, Shingo blew the 3rd game of the season in similar fashion.

At least Semien came to life, getting lucky a bit with the walk (he was bailing looking inside and got the call) and then the homer.

Beckham starts his rehab assignment with Birmingham tonight.

And DeAza's not hurting his trade value...if they do actually intend to trade him.

On the other hand, the "trade our bullpen guys" theory has a long ways to go...

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 03:58 PM)
Good news is April he is a slow starter playing well so far.

Except for the brain cramp on that botched rundown.

First thing you learn in Little League...always run the baserunner back to the base from which he came, one throw, tag, he's back in the dugout looking sheepish.

Had a feeling that leaving Abreu on 3B with two outs and the 8-5 lead would come back to bite them, and, naturally, it did.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 05:01 PM)
Except for the brain cramp on that botched rundown.

First thing you learn in Little League...always run the baserunner back to the base from which he came, one throw, tag, he's back in the dugout looking sheepish.

Had a feeling that leaving Abreu on 3B with two outs and the 8-5 lead would come back to bite them, and, naturally, it did.

I was talking offensively.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 03:59 PM)
Next 29 games:

3 at KC

3 at Col

4 vs Cle

3 vs Bos

3 at Tex

4 at Det

4 vs TB

2 vs Det

3 at Cle

We'll know soon enough.

Back to your schedule watching and projections, I see.

At least we're better off than Royals fans, who have suffered two heartbreaking losses in a row in DET. The first one, they really choked away.

Was actually looking forward to seeing their young phenom pitch in KC, but of course we get the Guthrie/Chen show. Seen that one before.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 05:03 PM)
Back to your schedule watching and projections, I see.

At least we're better off than Royals fans, who have suffered two heartbreaking losses in a row in DET. The first one, they really choked away.

Was actually looking forward to seeing their young phenom pitch in KC, but of course we get the Guthrie/Chen show. Seen that one before.

This team isnt going to be all that good, but their energy and talent is already way more enjoyable to watch than 2013.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
This bullpen is going to be hard to watch if they don't learn how to throw strikes. Jesus..

Or learn how to get ahead in counts so that the batters don't know exactly what's coming next...

Hawkism 101: The best pitch in baseball is strike one (see Eckersley, Dennis)

Well, the Royals and Cardinals both have very strong pens, they probably knew that Cleto wasn't worth the trouble....whereas we have the luxury of being able to afford some patience with him.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
It sucks that we can blame Nate, we can blame Bellisario, or we can blame Lindstrom. Cleto and Daniel Webb are the only guys not to s*** themselves out of the pen so far this year, and they were the last 2 guys to make it.

And Webb gave up a run yesterday...with Cleto giving up his two inherited runners and almost completely giving the lead back if Arcia's ball was hit another 10 feet.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 05:55 PM)
Avi Garcia played about as bad of a game as you can play.

Well if he collided with Abreu on a pop fly and knocked them both out for the year, that would have been much worse. Compared to that , today was no big deal.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
You guys think I'm a moron for saying this all the time, but Nate Jones' arm delivery is awful. I only saw one other guy throw like that, Keith Foulke. I don't know how any pitching coach can allow him to pitch that way.

Some of you guys who were pitchers ... do u agree with me?? His arm delivery is not conducive to anything positive.

late reply, but i think jones' delivery is kina similar to paco rodriguez's delivery. paco is left-handed, but he's been lights out for the dodgers. what do you think?

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 10:56 PM)
Better learn to love this sort of thing, this is exactly how I have the 2014 White Sox earmarked. As long as players develop, this is just the kind of thing we're going to have to live with.

I know it's early, but ON PAPER this bullpen has to be one of the worst in baseball. We did beat a horrendous Minnie team 2 of 3 in our own ballpark which is good, but I can't imagine winning more games than last year with this bullpen. Good teams are going to feast on this pen I would think.

I realize it was cold out and probably hard to throw strikes, but we don't have squat in the bullpen this year.

On a glass half full side of things re. the bullpen, I guess Nate could get it together and be one good piece of the pen.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 3, 2014 -> 07:42 PM)
I know it's early, but ON PAPER this bullpen has to be one of the worst in baseball. We did beat a horrendous Minnie team 2 of 3 in our own ballpark which is good, but I can't imagine winning more games than last year with this bullpen. Good teams are going to feast on this pen I would think.

I realize it was cold out and probably hard to throw strikes, but we don't have squat in the bullpen this year.

On a glass half full side of things re. the bullpen, I guess Nate could get it together and be one good piece of the pen.

Control has been the main issue. They'll shape up soon.