Avisail Garcia is out for the rest of 2014

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 07:27 PM)
But X rays were negative

Looked alot like an AC injury from the way he hit and the way he held it. Herm did all the right tests it was difficult the results. Hopefully its' just a mild one. If the X-rays didn't show a separation it shouldn't be too bad.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 10:48 PM)
He messed up his shoulder in a game last week as well. Maybe he needs to learn out of to dive without planting his shoulder into the ground? I don't know though, as a former pitcher/infielder I know next to nothing about diving in the outfield but it seems like he's putting too much weight forward.

Someone brought up the Maggs slide. I'd prefer a slide from him. Too big to be landing like that. He'll learn and be ok.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 10:48 PM)
He messed up his shoulder in a game last week as well. Maybe he needs to learn out of to dive without planting his shoulder into the ground? I don't know though, as a former pitcher/infielder I know next to nothing about diving in the outfield but it seems like he's putting too much weight forward.

Maybe he should just lose some weight so he doesn't have to dive so often. I have seen enough of him in the OF to wonder whether or not he'd be a 1B sooner rather than later.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 03:06 AM)
"I didn't catch it," Garcia said. "When I touch the ground with my hand, it fell out. I feel the bone in my shoulder (go) like crack, crack."

from yahoosports

I cannot handle a legit, like, season-ending injury to Avi Garcia. Hey God, you took my Rose, you took my Kaner, you took my Toews, you took my Peanut. Do not take my Avi.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 08:50 AM)
I cannot handle a legit, like, season-ending injury to Avi Garcia. Hey God, you took my Rose, you took my Kaner, you took my Toews, you took my Peanut. Do not take my Avi.

Heh, well those seasons and those players are a bit higher stakes.

As long as Avi is 100% eventually, thats fine. it surely wont be after our team is really good again.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 10:36 PM)
Looked alot like an AC injury from the way he hit and the way he held it. Herm did all the right tests it was difficult the results. Hopefully its' just a mild one. If the X-rays didn't show a separation it shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks as always for your insight, so it sounds like a separation would be out with X-Rays, what else major would be ruled out by a negative x-ray and what is still on the table?

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
Heh, well those seasons and those players are a bit higher stakes.

As long as Avi is 100% eventually, thats fine. it surely wont be after our team is really good again.

You still don't want to see a 22 year old player who is still developing (crazy to think most players at his age are prospects in A+ ball) as a player essentially have a full season taken away from him. I hope to god he's alright, and best case misses a couple days.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
Thanks as always for your insight, so it sounds like a separation would be out with X-Rays, what else major would be ruled out by a negative x-ray and what is still on the table?

It's most likely just a sprain of the AC joint, a capsulitis (jam) of the glenohumeral joint or a subacromial bursitis. If this is the case it's no more than a week or two on the conservative side.

He didn't move it so it's impossible to know if there was an injury more serious such as a SLAP lesion or bicep tendon injury. Those are unlikely but possible when you force the humerus straight up into the acromion.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)
It's most likely just a sprain of the AC joint, a capsulitis (jam) of the glenohumeral joint or a subacromial bursitis. If this is the case it's no more than a week or two on the conservative side.

He didn't move it so it's impossible to know if there was an injury more serious such as a SLAP lesion or bicep tendon injury. Those are unlikely but possible when you force the humerus straight up into the acromion.

Thank you again, much appreciated.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 07:44 AM)

He did land on his left elbow so the humerus did jar that shoulder joint hard. Very hard to control dives depending on the angle your trying to make the catch but should probably try extending his arms and landing mostly on his pecs.