Avisail Garcia is out for the rest of 2014

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
What exactly is the healing time on this injury? I know he is out for the season....but is there any chance he may be able to play in the Arizona Fall League? I'd really hate to see a 22 year old kid miss a full season of baseball and a short season in AZ may be perfect in preparing him for a great comeback in 2015.

The research for the general injury is 3-6 months. However for a professional athlete with the demands placed upon the body closer to 6 months is a better estimate. This puts him towards Sept-Oct. He could go to AFL or winterball if the Sox are so inclined.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 08:24 PM)
A wrist injury would be worse. At the shoulder, a 3rd degree separation would have been worse. They can fix this one and have a good success rate with it. He will be fine by spring training. He could probably be ready by September but by that time why push it much, unless they want to get him some at bats.

I guess I'm trying to figure out the difference in how this this injury affects bat speed for a hitter as opposed to pitch speed for a pitcher. To a novice like myself, happening to the lead shoulder like it did, it seems pretty serious.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 06:54 PM)
This really took the wind out of the early season excitement sails for me. But we got the W yesterday, so hopefully we can keep hovering around .500. I wouldn't be surprised if Danks forces De Aza to be the 4th OF in due time.

I'd be shocked if that happens.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 06:46 PM)
I guess I'm trying to figure out the difference in how this this injury affects bat speed for a hitter as opposed to pitch speed for a pitcher. To a novice like myself, happening to the lead shoulder like it did, it seems pretty serious.

It really shouldn't effect the speed. The two things it could effect is the power or bringing the arms in for the range. These variables are dependant on the looseness or tightness of the repair if the capsule is involved which they won't kmow yet.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Apr 11, 2014 -> 06:54 PM)
This really took the wind out of the early season excitement sails for me.

me too...still. I know it's exciting having Abreu and all...but have the new 3-headed monster of Eaton/JA/ and Avi was really an exciting thing to build on. Trying not to be a Debbie Downer and all...but this really is a kick in the nuts more with each passing day IMO...

AVISAIL GARCIA UNDERGOES SUCCESSFUL SURGERY

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Tuesday, April 15, 2014

CHICAGO – Chicago White Sox outfielder Avisail Garcia underwent successful surgery this morning at Rush Oak Park Hospital to repair a torn labrum and avulsion fracture in his left shoulder.

Garcia, 22, will remain in Chicago with the club while undergoing approximately six months of rehabilitation. He is expected to be available without restriction for the start of 2015 spring training.

Garcia suffered the injury attempting a diving catch on April 9 at Colorado. He was batting .267 (8-30) with two home runs, four RBI and six runs scored in eight games this season, including a career-high four hits and his first career multihomer game on April 8 against the Rockies.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
So he had a fracture too... interesting. Hopefully that doesn't change the long-term prognosis.

This actually makes the prognosis better. It's a lot easier to pin the two pieces of bone together than repair the labrum. Avulsions are easy to fix. They just take about 8 weeks for the bone to heal together. If there is no significant capsular damage (there wasn't any mention of it) he should recover very nicely.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 01:10 PM)
AVISAIL GARCIA UNDERGOES SUCCESSFUL SURGERY

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Tuesday, April 15, 2014

CHICAGO – Chicago White Sox outfielder Avisail Garcia underwent successful surgery this morning at Rush Oak Park Hospital to repair a torn labrum and avulsion fracture in his left shoulder.

Garcia, 22, will remain in Chicago with the club while undergoing approximately six months of rehabilitation. He is expected to be available without restriction for the start of 2015 spring training.

Garcia suffered the injury attempting a diving catch on April 9 at Colorado. He was batting .267 (8-30) with two home runs, four RBI and six runs scored in eight games this season, including a career-high four hits and his first career multihomer game on April 8 against the Rockies.

He was in great spirits yesterday, glad to hear. Cant wait to see him next year!