Elephant in the room

Buehrle>Wood

So I'm sure we'll delay it as much as possible but Keppinger is slated to start rehab soon.

So, uh, what do we do with him? There's Sierra, Semien, Garcia. 2 of those guys got to go. Unless you cut Keppinger of course.

Thoughts, Comments, Concerns?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 9, 2014 -> 02:49 AM)
So I'm sure we'll delay it as much as possible but Keppinger is slated to start rehab soon.

So, uh, what do we do with him? There's Sierra, Semien, Garcia. 2 of those guys got to go. Unless you cut Keppinger of course.

Thoughts, Comments, Concerns?

f*** Keppinger.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ May 8, 2014 -> 10:23 PM)
Keppinger started his minor league assignment a week ago...

Either way, if he's putting up pathetic numbers against 21-22 year olds, I don't think he will be brought up.

You can't put guys on rehab assignment indefinitely. There's a time limit

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 9, 2014 -> 04:07 AM)
Would Jerry cut him with 1.5 seasons left? I don't see him working up much trade value and he is blocking some younger guys.

Cut him, please!

They're not going to just eat 1 2/3rd's contract years, in the same way they weren't willing to do it with Teahen, either, going as far as packaging him with Edwin Jackson to get him off the payroll.

You might see something similar this year, if/when they do trade Alexei/Dunn/Lindstrom, with Keppinger being shipped together.

We actually need another veteran on this team with so many young hitters, and Keppinger's a patient/contact guy, so he should be another steadying influence if he's healthy.

Leury Garcia and Semien should both be playing everyday in Charlotte, along with Carlos Sanchez. That's not going to hurt any of them developmentally. Micah Johnson can stay at 2B at BIRM. Converting him to LF at this point would be short-sighted, at best, just to fit him into the Charlotte everyday playing rotation.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jake @ May 9, 2014 -> 12:05 AM)
You can't put guys on rehab assignment indefinitely. There's a time limit

The time limit is about a month. The one trick is you could take a guy off a rehab assignment, put him back on the DL, and then put him back on a rehab assignment if he's actually still being inhibited by an injury. If you try this with a guy saying he's healthy the PLayers's Association will have your a**, but if a guy seriously can't hit AA pitching after a month it's hard to believe something still isn't wrong.

Despite the team's decent start, I think management is still looking at this as a rebuilding year, so they aren't going to just eat his contract just because Semien or LGarcia would be a marginal upgrade, especially now that Gillaspie is back and Semien will have to go to AAA to get more playing time anyway.

If the Sox are somehow in playoff contention in July and Keppinger is just wasting a roster spot, then would be the time to consider just dumping him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 9, 2014 -> 08:57 AM)
And they thought this would happen how? Rick has started buying PCP for other GM's?

I'm sure he meant that was the view prior to the season, hoping Kepp would play well for a couple months and at least be able to be salary-dumped.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)
Keppinger will be on the plane to the first team who isn't asking for cash back for Keppinger. The problem is that he has to play for that to happen.

What if he is healthy and productive? We have like two more years of Kepp right? He might be better than Garcia and/or Semien at this point and I do believe Semien has upside. He was injured last year and it makes you wonder how that affected overall performance and his performance in 2014

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 9, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)
What if he is healthy and productive? We have like two more years of Kepp right? He might be better than Garcia and/or Semien at this point and I do believe Semien has upside. He was injured last year and it makes you wonder how that affected overall performance and his performance in 2014

We have two guys on this team who can put up Kepps numbers at a fraction of the price.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 9, 2014 -> 12:56 PM)
I wish there was a BABIPx that factored in rolling over weak 6-3's.

Before long, average velo leaving the bat will be factored in, illuminating the bad contact vs. luck debate for individual performance.

Just discussing rehab in general, not specific . . .

Shouldn't the general idea be like spring training, starting out slow but playing to MLB level by the end? If the guy is producing from day 1 he probably didn't need to the rehab starts.

The extension of that is in an ideal world if the guy isn't playing to his prior level it seems like it should be an easy trip back to the DH or back to more rehab starts.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2014 -> 10:32 PM)
We have two guys on this team who can put up Kepps numbers at a fraction of the price.

Exactly. Acquiring Kepp was a huge mistake by the Sox brass. My guess is they simply loved the fact he draws some walks and they completely bombed on evaluating Kepp the overall hitter/player since the Sox had so many free swingers and needed some plate discipline which he did not bring.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Tex @ May 9, 2014 -> 06:52 PM)
Just discussing rehab in general, not specific . . .

Shouldn't the general idea be like spring training, starting out slow but playing to MLB level by the end? If the guy is producing from day 1 he probably didn't need to the rehab starts.

The extension of that is in an ideal world if the guy isn't playing to his prior level it seems like it should be an easy trip back to the DH or back to more rehab starts.

You know the problem? The 0-4 I saw from him looked exactly like 2013 Jeff Keppinger. Couple weak flyouts, couple weak groundouts.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 9, 2014 -> 06:32 PM)
Exactly. Acquiring Kepp was a huge mistake by the Sox brass. My guess is they simply loved the fact he draws some walks and they completely bombed on evaluating Kepp the overall hitter/player since the Sox had so many free swingers and needed some plate discipline which he did not bring.

At the time they acquired him they didn't have anything else. Now they have options. Things changed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2014 -> 02:01 AM)
At the time they acquired him they didn't have anything else. Now they have options. Things changed.

I understand your point but my point is we are trying to win games and maybe Garcia and Semien are not the total answer this season. Keppinger was signed because he had the ability to play multiple infield positions and he hit like .300 plus for the Rays. That didn't materialize for the Sox last year. Of course it might not materialize ever. I would not be upset if he gets traded but if he is healthy and can hit I have no issues with him staying and one of the other backup IF'ers goes to AAA