Official NHL 2014-15 Thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 07:37 PM)
I think the reality is that it was probably about keeping Q happy. There two eras for Bowman, he worked masterfully when in intense cap restrictions. But that wears you down and probably wore the team down. The second era of success (cup) they were in much better shape. They should have remained disciplined, but Q has a say too, and I'm guessing there was an organizational push to reward the players who contributed (falsely, this time). It's tough to have so much turnover.

We know that Q likes to rest his players. For him to do that, he needs players he trusts will put in the work without him dogging them. This likely played a factor.

It doesn't mean it's not a mistake, but these are hard decisions, even if it's obvious from a production standpoint.

I hate to question this, but I am basing this on my own opinion.

I don't agree, this was Bowman and all his. on the hockey site, most of the posters

where questioning the deal. the stats proved it, he had a great playoff, but not

4 mil a yr worth.

the thing is, unless we, the fans has an ear in when the talk was going on, no one

will know the truth.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 20, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)
I think the reality is that it was probably about keeping Q happy. There two eras for Bowman, he worked masterfully when in intense cap restrictions. But that wears you down and probably wore the team down. The second era of success (cup) they were in much better shape. They should have remained disciplined, but Q has a say too, and I'm guessing there was an organizational push to reward the players who contributed (falsely, this time). It's tough to have so much turnover.

We know that Q likes to rest his players. For him to do that, he needs players he trusts will put in the work without him dogging them. This likely played a factor.

It doesn't mean it's not a mistake, but these are hard decisions, even if it's obvious from a production standpoint.

This isn't Q resting his players, it's just Bickell being an admitted dog during the regular season. He doesn't put in the work, that's a problem with him. Which, that's terrible, but if he's a playoff hero, fine. But, he had one good postseason playing with 19 and 88 and then got a huge overpayment.

There's always been an organizational push to reward players (read: overpay) who contributed. As I said at the time, Bickell's "just a guy" and easily replaceable and wasn't worth investing that much money in.

I don't know how Q actually had a say in extending Bickell.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 03:16 PM)
I find it hard to believe others don't think Q has any say in roster input after Leddy was traded.

Q should have input and no one is saying different.

but Bowman is the boss. you can not have 2 bosses.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)
I find it hard to believe others don't think Q has any say in roster input after Leddy was traded.

Not what I said, we know he has input, but I think Bowman was responsible for the length and contract of Bickell. Is there a "want to keep Bicks around?" conversation that happens? Sure. But Q isn't the one calling the shots on the how and the what for contracts, and if it doesn't work it doesn't work. Bowman has to manage the roster and the cap.

http://www.csnchicago.com/blackhawks/black...anta-gets-start

Antti Raanta knows that being a backup goaltender sometimes means long waits between starts. It also means he has to be ready at all times to get the call.

The latter happened on Tuesday.

Raanta gets his first start of the season as Corey Crawford is out with an upper-body injury, and Kris Versteeg will also make his regular-season debut when the Chicago Blackhawks host the Philadelphia Flyers tonight.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 06:26 PM)
Not what I said, we know he has input, but I think Bowman was responsible for the length and contract of Bickell. Is there a "want to keep Bicks around?" conversation that happens? Sure. But Q isn't the one calling the shots on the how and the what for contracts, and if it doesn't work it doesn't work. Bowman has to manage the roster and the cap.

I'm not implying that Q is calling the shots. I think "Stan signed Bickell when daddy wasn't looking over his shoulder" is cheap, and I think the rationale was overpaying for roster consistency. I'm not saying it was right to sign Bickell, but the idea Bowman signed him out of pure idiocy on his part is missing some drivers.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 01:03 PM)
I'm not implying that Q is calling the shots. I think "Stan signed Bickell when daddy wasn't looking over his shoulder" is cheap, and I think the rationale was overpaying for roster consistency. I'm not saying it was right to sign Bickell, but the idea Bowman signed him out of pure idiocy on his part is missing some drivers.

Many of us were fearing a bloated contract for Bickell when he didn't think he was worth it. You can't afford to overpay just for roster consistency in today's NHL, so I don't agree with it. I also don't know if that was the exact rationale - they may have just thought holy s***, Bickell is a top 6 winger, and he's going to keep producing at this level. A guy like Bickell, IMO, was easily replaceable, and obviously still is.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 21, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
Many of us were fearing a bloated contract for Bickell when he didn't think he was worth it. You can't afford to overpay just for roster consistency in today's NHL, so I don't agree with it. I also don't know if that was the exact rationale - they may have just thought holy s***, Bickell is a top 6 winger, and he's going to keep producing at this level. A guy like Bickell, IMO, was easily replaceable, and obviously still is.

I was and remain furious at the contract.

Raanta had a great game as well.

Richards/Bickell both had much better games, but most of their movement was away from the puck. Seems like Saad was able to control the puck and set them up a lot better.

Richards, he played better but his game right now just seems to be throwing the puck at the net as soon as he touches it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)
Raanta had a great game as well.

Richards/Bickell both had much better games, but most of their movement was away from the puck. Seems like Saad was able to control the puck and set them up a lot better.

Richards, he played better but his game right now just seems to be throwing the puck at the net as soon as he touches it.

after last season, I was wondering if he can take over the role of starting goalie.

this thought was based on salary limitations.

it is funny how after Bickell performance that he went out and score.

lastly I am surprise that the play of the other d-man are doing a great job

since leddy was traded.

I just saw this of Nail Yakupov on the rumor page of the

possibility of being traded.

last yr, I wanted the Hawks to trade for him. this was before Edm

traded for Scivens the goalie.

I wanted the Hawks pgk Crawford, Leddy, and several other

prospects to entice Edm to make the trade. in rtn the hawks

get Yakupov and Mitch Moroz with a draft pick. this trade will

help in freeing up salary.

oh well I wonder if the hawks can pkg another group to get him.