White Sox sign 4 on July 2 signing day

southsider2k5

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 08:47 AM)
Here's the thing though, the Yankees might well not be abusing the system. There's some pretty severe penalties coming for dumping everything they had into this year.

The Cubs way over-signed last year; they're signing this year. What are the penalties? ON edit, I guess the Cubs aren't signing....thought I had seen some.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 08:47 AM)
Here's the thing though, the Yankees might well not be abusing the system. There's some pretty severe penalties coming for dumping everything they had into this year.

If you look at free agency in terms of a draft, the Yankees signing 9-10 of the top 30 is the equivalent of having 9-10 first round picks in the draft, I think most everyone would trade two first round picks to pick up 6-7 extra top tier talented players. Add in the likelihood now that they will sign Yoan Moncada as their system is terrible and other teams are then penalized for following the rules and not being able to compete with what the Yankees will bid.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
The Cubs way over-signed last year; they're signing this year. What are the penalties? ON edit, I guess the Cubs aren't signing....thought I had seen some.

They can sign but only players under something like $300k or $250k. I can't remember which.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
The Cubs way over-signed last year; they're signing this year. What are the penalties?

Penalties:

• 0-5 percent over pool: 75 percent tax on the pool overage.

• 5-10 percent over pool: 75 percent tax on the pool overage. Team won’t be allowed to sign a player for more than $500,000 during the 2014-15 signing period.

• 10-15 percent over pool: 100 percent tax on the pool overage. Team won’t be allowed to sign a player for more than $500,000 during the 2014-15 signing period.

• 15 percent or more over pool: 100 percent tax on the pool overage. Team won’t be allowed to sign a player for more than $250,000 during the 2014-15 signing period

The Cubs cand sign anyone for more than $250K.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
If nothing left, then that is Sox fault for not getting more aggressive on other players. I'm not going to give them an excuse for missing the boat. They had a lot of resources for once and should have used them. Talent accumulation is the name of the game and this was a rare instance where the Sox had a large pool and I expect the organization to use that pool. The fact that we signed so few top 30 guys despite having such a large pool is a total disappointment.

Where is Marco Paddy's response to what happened? This is his area of expertise. Just to say the Yankees beat everyone by playing with a different set of rules? Well, the Yankees were literally all over the world signing all those guys, Dominicans, Venezuelans, Koreans, etc.

Who were the last "young/er" Asian pitchers we signed? There were 1-2 South Koreans I remember who have completely disappeared from the face of the earth.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 12:22 PM)
We better have a plan with this $1.6M left. Absolutely awful if we don't even spend half the money we were alloted.

Yankees signed the #7 prospect Jonathan Amundary for $1.5M. Would have been great to snag that guy up.

I think it's easy to look at Jesse Sanchez or Ben Badler's lists and assume the White Sox didn't do a good job. It's a bit shortsighted though. We don't know. None of us do. The kids are like 16 and from different countries. Maybe the White Sox like Nunez and Alfaro better than they like some of the perceived higher-rated guys. I hope that the White Sox spend their entire International Pool. But as far as who they sign, doesn't really matter in my opinion because none of us know either way.

I think some of you folks are missing that this isn't a one-time event. That money is available from yesterday until a YEAR from now. Furthermore, you are assuming we've seen all the signings that were done - we've seen 4 reported. I guarantee there are more we haven't yet heard about.

I'd be shocked if they didn't spend all or nearly all the money, it just may not be all right on the 7/2 date. Or even all in LatAm for that matter.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 12:33 PM)
I think some of you folks are missing that this isn't a one-time event. That money is available from yesterday until a YEAR from now. Furthermore, you are assuming we've seen all the signings that were done - we've seen 4 reported. I guarantee there are more we haven't yet heard about.

I'd be shocked if they didn't spend all or nearly all the money, it just may not be all right on the 7/2 date. Or even all in LatAm for that matter.

Knowing very little about international talent, are there ever premiere guys that pop up between now and next July that are free to sign? If the Sox are holding on to the $1.6M until a guy they expect to "defect" or whatever the process is to becomes available, then that's perfectly fine. I just have no idea how the process works and when players become available to sign.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)
Knowing very little about international talent, are there ever premiere guys that pop up between now and next July that are free to sign? If the Sox are holding on to the $1.6M until a guy they expect to "defect" or whatever the process is to becomes available, then that's perfectly fine. I just have no idea how the process works and when players become available to sign.

The current process is somewhat new, so I am not sure how often it happens. But it can. And certainly some players do sign at other times. Remember too, this club once paid a Korean pitching prospect a 300k bonus too, so there are other geographic areas at play that may not fit as nicely into the 7/2 timeframe.

And, there are likely to be some 100k-300k type guys we haven't heard about yet that they have already agreed with.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 3, 2014 -> 02:58 PM)

Judging by how much the draft can change in six months to a years time, I see no reason that kids wouldn't change a lot between 16 and 17.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
I would guess that means in the $50-100k range

I googled and came up with an article from 2009 with the top 31 bonuses given to the Latin players, up until then, Cubans excluded. Miguel Cabrera was on that list then, but only a couple more names many would recognize made the list. It seems given these to be 16-17 year olds, you are far better off spreading some money around than dumping it on one or two. IMO, the Sox have a solid strategy here.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2014 -> 07:05 PM)
I googled and came up with an article from 2009 with the top 31 bonuses given to the Latin players, up until then, Cubans excluded. Miguel Cabrera was on that list then, but only a couple more names many would recognize made the list. It seems given these to be 16-17 year olds, you are far better off spreading some money around than dumping it on one or two. IMO, the Sox have a solid strategy here.

Agree completely. Think back to when you were a freshman in high school playing ball, and you know who the stud players were. You look even 2-3 years later, and while some of those players may have still been really good, there were likely a few that fell off a bit and a few others that emerged. Just get a bunch of guys who are talented and see what sticks and what doesn't.

• 2 months later...

If you follow Baseball America, Baseball Prospectus and Fangraphs on twitter, you should play close attention because they have been named dropping top prospects for the 2015 INTL Signing Period. (Fidel Castro and Vladimir Guerrero Jr.)

I might make a new thread to keep track.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 08:51 PM)
If you follow Baseball America, Baseball Prospectus and Fangraphs on twitter, you should play close attention because they have been named dropping top prospects for the 2015 INTL Signing Period. (Fidel Castro and Vladimir Guerrero Jr.)

I might make a new thread to keep track.

I heard Che Guevara was another one to watch too.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 10:03 PM)
I heard Che Guevara was another one to watch too.

Scouting report says over and over " not a team player". Doubt he's a guy that fits in with what the front office is trying to accomplish.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 10:06 PM)
And Simon Bolivar

Bolivar is just an old has been and would likely command too much money based on his yesteryear.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)
Vlad Jr has some serious power:

Actually, I have been doing research on next year's international crop and the Guerrero Family is reponsible for three of the best propects in the class apparently. There is Vlad Jr who is being pegged as the best overall prospect for next year. There is Gregory who is the best over shortstop and has the best hit tool according to some scouts. And then there is Josue.

Edited by Joshua Strong