2014 Fantasy Football Thread

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 12:13 PM)
How dare you draft Brady again.

I traded for him last year. Traded Vick for Brady not quite halfway through the year. He was something like top 6 or 8 the second half of the year.

If you don't get one of the big 3 of QBs you're better off being the last guy to grab one. I'm fine with any of Brady, Romo, Ryan, Cutler late. Week to week they are all the same. He was there in the 8th.

He's going to have a good enough year. He has as good a chance of being 4th in the league as any of those other guys.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
Bradford is hurt again...so they may run the ball a lot this year as well.

Yikes, out for the year....This only makes the decision a little harder. From a talent standpoint Vereen>>>Stacy IMO, but you're right, with Bradford hurt again they could pound the rock a ton.

I'm torn here. I guess if I was in your position, and it was a PPR I'd do it. Fitz for Maclin pushes me over the edge.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 04:30 PM)
Yikes, out for the year....This only makes the decision a little harder. From a talent standpoint Vereen>>>Stacy IMO, but you're right, with Bradford hurt again they could pound the rock a ton.

I'm torn here. I guess if I was in your position, and it was a PPR I'd do it. Fitz for Maclin pushes me over the edge.

I already offered the trade, let's see what happens.

Vereen averaged 4.7 YPC last year, not bad at all. I have some confidence that he'll at least get 30-40 yards per game on the ground if he gets rush attempts.

I also have Ridley on my bench, so in case one fails, I have the other.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
I traded for him last year. Traded Vick for Brady not quite halfway through the year. He was something like top 6 or 8 the second half of the year.

If you don't get one of the big 3 of QBs you're better off being the last guy to grab one. I'm fine with any of Brady, Romo, Ryan, Cutler late. Week to week they are all the same. He was there in the 8th.

He's going to have a good enough year. He has as good a chance of being 4th in the league as any of those other guys.

Forgot you traded for him, I'm just giving you s*** cause you know what he did to my team last year. Anywho, just got done drafting my main league. 10 team, .5 ppr and 6 points per throwing td. Everything else is pretty standard:

QB: Brees

RB: AP

RB: Lynch

WR: Jordy Nelson

WR: Victor Cruz

TE: Dennis Pitta

Flex: Colston

DEF: TB(this will be matchup by committee, they have Carolina week 1 and the Rams week 2)

K: Prater

Bench: Steven Jackson, Stevan Ridley, Marqise Lee, Ahmad Bradshaw, Martellus Bennett, Kaepernik, Teddy Bridgerwater just because I like him.

I love my starters, hate my bench. If everyone stays healthy I think I have a chance to be really good. Let me know what you guys think.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 05:56 PM)
Forgot you traded for him, I'm just giving you s*** cause you know what he did to my team last year. Anywho, just got done drafting my main league. 10 team, .5 ppr and 6 points per throwing td. Everything else is pretty standard:

DEF: TB(this will be matchup by committee, they have Carolina week 1 and the Rams week 2)

Bench: Steven Jackson, Stevan Ridley, Marqise Lee, Ahmad Bradshaw, Martellus Bennett, Kaepernik, Teddy Bridgerwater just because I like him.

I love my starters, hate my bench. If everyone stays healthy I think I have a chance to be really good. Let me know what you guys think.

Prater is suspended the first four games FYI

Just finished up a PPR draft that I'm real happy with.

QB- Stafford/RGIII

WR- VJax

WR- T. Smith

RB- AP

RB- Gio

TE- Davis

Flex- Ellington

Flex- Reed

D- Seattle

K- Gostlowski

Sproles, Ingram, Shorts, Ebron, Marvin Jones.

Only whoopsies I made was Ellington and Gio both have week 4 byes

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 05:56 PM)

That's a 10 team league? Unless Lynch is ranked lower than I thought

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 06:10 PM)

QB- Stafford/RGIII

WR- VJax

WR- T. Smith

RB- AP

RB- Gio

TE- Davis

Flex- Ellington

Flex- Reed

D- Seattle

K- Gostlowski

WRs are very weak, RBs outside of AP and Gio are questionable. I would suggest looking into Jeremy Hill, Carlos Hyde, Devonta Freeman, Andre Williams at RB and then Justin Hunter at WR if they are out there. Ebron has been very iffy from early reports and you already have 2 TEs so why have him?

This was my 12 team PPR mock from the other night, I was going with the zero RB strategy but had to change it a little bit due to a player falling to me I didnt expect to be available..

QB: Tony Romo

RB: Montee Ball

RB: Rashad Jennings

WR: Demaryius Thomas

WR: Dez Bryant

TE: Kyle Rudolph

Flex: Randall Cobb

K: Mason Crosby

Def: Pittsburgh

BN: Josh Gordon

BN: Robert Griffin III

BN: Danny Woodhead

BN: Jeremy Hill

BN: Devonta Freeman

Well know before the season whether or not Gordon will be playing this year, so thats an easy drop and replace if hes out for the year. I like Pittsburgh matchup hosting Cleveland week 1 and will be streaming defenses. Montee Ball slipped to the end of round 3 and I had to take him. He has a chance to be a top 5-7 back.

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 06:14 PM)
WRs are very weak, RBs outside of AP and Gio are questionable. I would suggest looking into Jeremy Hill, Carlos Hyde, Devonta Freeman, Andre Williams at RB and then Justin Hunter at WR if they are out there. Ebron has been very iffy from early reports and you already have 2 TEs so why have him?

I really like Ellington this year, actually took him in the 3R, and I'm real interested in seeing what Chip Kelly does with Sproles.

Going RB back to back to back did somewhat hurt my WR position, but I wouldn't call it very weak. Not flashy, but not bad. Had debated between Hunter and Jones in the last round.

With 2 WRs and 2 RBs also on the bench why not snag a guy like Ebron who has huge upside IMO.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 06:28 PM)
I really like Ellington this year, actually took him in the 3R, and I'm real interested in seeing what Chip Kelly does with Sproles.

Going RB back to back to back did somewhat hurt my WR position, but I wouldn't call it very weak. Not flashy, but not bad. Had debated between Hunter and Jones in the last round.

With 2 WRs and 2 RBs also on the bench why not snag a guy like Ebron who has huge upside IMO.

I like Ellington too but I worry about how he will hold up in that division. Hes not a typically sized back, but he can make plays.

The problem with your WRs are Vincent Jackson and Torrey Smith, in terms of fantasy, dont have the upside to be top 10-12. They are more like 15-20 guys at their best. They are also guys that will give you a 30 point weak and then put up 5-8 points for 4 weeks in a row. Shorts and Jones are nothing special, that's the only reason why as a whole group I would consider it weak. Aside from the fact that Marvin Jones will be out until at least week 5 with an injury, Justin Hunter looks primed for a breakout and has freakish skills.

I like your two TEs better than Ebron already, maybe a lottery ticket on a WR or RB would have been better served for your squad over a 3rd TE. Its your team though, I just like to give my opinion on fantasy stuff.

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 06:09 PM)
Prater is suspended the first four games FYI

I somehow completely missed that. Oh well that's what Teddy Bridgewater's spot is for. Thanks for letting me know.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 06:12 PM)
That's a 10 team league? Unless Lynch is ranked lower than I thought

Lynch was a 4th round keeper for me. And AP fell to 4th overall, which isn't crazy or anything but I thought I was going to end up with Forte there.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 06:10 PM)

QB- Stafford/RGIII

WR- VJax

WR- T. Smith

RB- AP

RB- Gio

TE- Davis

Flex- Ellington

Flex- Reed

D- Seattle

K- Gostlowski

Is this a 2 QB league? If not, that's a poor use of assets. You could have drafted a much-needed receiver and still grabbed a competent backup late (or not take one at all). Obviously ignore that if it is a two QB league.

I also agree with Tru, in a PPR league with two flex, you needed more/better receivers. You've really only got 3 right now since it'll be several weeks before Jones is back on the field. V-Jax is solid but inconsistent, and Smith isn't as good in a PPR league (career high of 65 receptions). I'd like your team a lot more if you had someone like Kendall Hunter as your 3rd receiver. Even a low-ceiling guy like Brian Hartline would significantly help your WR depth.

Like Tru said, I'd drop Ebron and try to grab another decent receiver. I can't imagine you're ever going to use him, and rookie TE's typically struggle.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 06:25 PM)
This was my 12 team PPR mock from the other night, I was going with the zero RB strategy but had to change it a little bit due to a player falling to me I didnt expect to be available..

QB: Tony Romo

RB: Rashad Jennings

WR: Demaryius Thomas

WR: Dez Bryant

TE: Kyle Rudolph

Flex: Randall Cobb

K: Mason Crosby

Def: Pittsburgh

BN: Josh Gordon

BN: Robert Griffin III

BN: Danny Woodhead

BN: Jeremy Hill

BN: Devonta Freeman

Well know before the season whether or not Gordon will be playing this year, so thats an easy drop and replace if hes out for the year. I like Pittsburgh matchup hosting Cleveland week 1 and will be streaming defenses. Montee Ball slipped to the end of round 3 and I had to take him. He has a chance to be a top 5-7 back.

So Cobb made it to the 4th? Yikes. You smoked those fools.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 07:26 PM)
Is this a 2 QB league? If not, that's a poor use of assets. You could have drafted a much-needed receiver and still grabbed a competent backup late (or not take one at all). Obviously ignore that if it is a two QB league.

I also agree with Tru, in a PPR league with two flex, you needed more/better receivers. You've really only got 3 right now since it'll be several weeks before Jones is back on the field. V-Jax is solid but inconsistent, and Smith isn't as good in a PPR league (career high of 65 receptions). I'd like your team a lot more if you had someone like Kendall Hunter as your 3rd receiver. Even a low-ceiling guy like Brian Hartline would significantly help your WR depth.

Like Tru said, I'd drop Ebron and try to grab another decent receiver. I can't imagine you're ever going to use him, and rookie TE's typically struggle.

RGIII was there in the 11th round, I couldn't pass on that that late. He or Stafford could be traded for a WR if need be.

I was unaware of Jones being out since he didn't have a cross next to him. I dumped him for Hunter.

Ebron is just gonna be a wait and see guy. I absolutely loved what I saw from him when I was "scouting the NFL draft" and think he has the potential to be a monster...Which would then make Davis/Reed available.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 07:49 PM)
RGIII was their in the 11th round, I couldn't pass on that that late. He or Stafford could be traded for a WR if need be.

I was unaware of Jones being out since he didn't have a cross next to him. I dumped him for Hunter.

Ebron is just gonna be a wait and see guy. I absolutely loved what I saw from him when I was "scouting the NFL draft" and think he has the potential to be a monster...Which would then make Davis/Reed available.

That speaks poorly of your Stafford pick then. If you could still get a QB like RGIII in the 11th, you took your first QB too early. Even after you took Stafford, I'm sure you could have selected someone that would play more than one week for you in the 11th. It's usually difficult to get value in a trade for a QB because there are a bunch of decent ones. If RGIII was still there in the 11th, that strongly implies that your league doesn't really value quarterbacks.

Hunter helps, though I actually meant Kendall WRIGHT. Somehow I morphed the two into one player. :ph34r: Especially for PPR, he's a very good mid-round pick. Admittedly he might have gone earlier since it's PPR, but he was merely an example. The point is you really needed SOMEONE more dependable as your #3 WR. You're going to be hurting in bye weeks between your WR/flex because of it.

With Ebron, you're taking a guy that's unlikely to crack your lineup again. A lot of guys don't carry two TE's much less three. You could easily have taken a high upside WR, and that guy would likely out-produce Ebron. There's a pretty good chance that he doesn't produce what Kenny Stills did last year, and that's a guy that still has upside as well. As it is, you not only need Ebron to hit, you need to find a way to extract value for a middle-tier TE in trade to maximize the return on it. You're creating more work than you have to.

It's possible it could still work with trades or pickups, but you sacrificed depth at a crucial position in PPR for depth at positions where you don't really need as much depth.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Had my first draft tonight. Kind of just winged it because I don't follow the NFL close enough to be particularly good at fantasy. 12 team non-ppr league. Maybe should have taken Calvin Johnson at 6 because I ended up picking Ball and Bernard at 18 and 30 respectively...

QB: Cam Newton

RB: Matt Forte

WR: Michael Floyd

TE: Greg Olsen

Flex: Giovani Bernard

K: Matt Prater/Shayne Graham

Def: Baltimore

BN: Lamar Miller

BN: Brandin Cooks

BN: Zach Ertz

BN: Jordan Matthews

BN: Jarett Boykin

BN: Rueben Randle

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 09:11 PM)
That speaks poorly of your Stafford pick then. If you could still get a QB like RGIII in the 11th, you took your first QB too early. Even after you took Stafford, I'm sure you could have selected someone that would play more than one week for you in the 11th. It's usually difficult to get value in a trade for a QB because there are a bunch of decent ones. If RGIII was still there in the 11th, that strongly implies that your league doesn't really value quarterbacks.

Hunter helps, though I actually meant Kendall WRIGHT. Somehow I morphed the two into one player. :ph34r: Especially for PPR, he's a very good mid-round pick. Admittedly he might have gone earlier since it's PPR, but he was merely an example. The point is you really needed SOMEONE more dependable as your #3 WR. You're going to be hurting in bye weeks between your WR/flex because of it.

With Ebron, you're taking a guy that's unlikely to crack your lineup again. A lot of guys don't carry two TE's much less three. You could just have easily have taken a high upside WR, and that guy would likely out-produce Ebron. There's a pretty good chance that he doesn't produce what Kenny Stills did last year, and that's a guy that still has upside as well. As it is, you not only need Ebron to hit, you need to find a way to extract value for a middle-tier TE in trade to maximize the return on it. You're creating more work than you have to.

It's possible it could still work with trades or pickups, but you sacrificed depth at a crucial position in PPR for depth at positions where you don't really need as much depth.

I got Stafford in the 6th, right after Brady and Luck went off the board, so I expected there to be a run.

And I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I'm around the computer 24/7 so I can work the waiver wire if need be. I don't think Shorts is a bad WR3, and I think Chip Kelly is gonna find a way to make Sproles a decent flex option.

You guys are making me reconsider the Ebron pick though....My love for him as an athlete may have clouded my judgement.

....BTW, this is why I posted in here so much last year, I'm not that good at this lol.

Edited by scs787

Screw it, I'll throw mine in here. It's a 14 team league, so keep that in mind before you rip me to shreds...

QB- Romo

WR- Dez

WR- Wright

RB- Forte

RB- Jennings

Flex- CJ1K

TE- Gronk

K- Vinatieri

DEF- Patroits

Bench- Freeman, Hyde, Wheaton, Stills, Gordon and Matthews

Yes, I know my WR's are weak unless Gordon plays. I was a bit paranoid about getting RB depth and I still had WR's I liked on my list until the 9th round or so. Unfortunately, the starting RB's were gone by the end of round 5 (unless you count S-Jackson (6th) and DeAngelo Williams). I'd never played a real league that deep and I could have done a bit better. Yahoo's draft analyzer says I'm going to win the league though!

If I had to do it over, I'd have grabbed Gio in the 2nd, Jeffrey or Antonio Brown in the third. I still don't think I would have been totally happy though because I would have had to take someone like Patterson, Desean Jackson or Floyd in the 4th or wait until the 8th to get Tate, Randle or Hunter (didn't really like the receivers there at my 5th). With the benefit of hindsight, I'd have probably liked my team the most if I still went Jennings/Johnson in the 4th and 5th and gone Wright/Tate/Sanders in the 7th/8th/9th not sure I'd have guessed to go that way though. I also wouldn't have Gronk in that scenario, would have probably waited for Pitta in the 10th that way. It's REALLY hard to like your team when it's that deep.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Aug 24, 2014 -> 10:03 PM)
Screw it, I'll throw mine in here. It's a 14 team league, so keep that in mind before you rip me to shreds...

QB- Romo

WR- Dez

WR- Wright

RB- Forte

RB- Jennings

Flex- CJ1K

TE- Gronk

K- Vinatieri

DEF- Patroits

Bench- Freeman, Hyde, Wheaton, Stills, Gordon and Matthews

Yes, I know my WR's are weak unless Gordon plays. I was a bit paranoid about getting RB depth and I still had WR's I liked on my list until the 9th round or so. Unfortunately, the starting RB's were gone by the end of round 5 (unless you count S-Jackson (6th) and DeAngelo Williams). I'd never played a real league that deep and I could have done a bit better. Yahoo's draft analyzer says I'm going to win the league though!

If I had to do it over, I'd have grabbed Gio in the 2nd, Jeffrey or Antonio Brown in the third. I still don't think I would have been totally happy though because I would have had to take someone like Patterson, Desean Jackson or Floyd in the 4th or wait until the 8th to get Tate, Randle or Hunter (didn't really like the receivers there at my 5th). With the benefit of hindsight, I'd have probably liked my team the most if I still went Jennings/Johnson in the 4th and 5th and gone Wright/Tate/Sanders in the 7th/8th/9th not sure I'd have guessed to go that way though. I also wouldn't have Gronk in that scenario, would have probably waited for Pitta in the 10th that way. It's REALLY hard to like your team when it's that deep.

Very odd league if you were able to get Forte and Dez in a 14 teamer. Who the hell did everyone draft between Forte and Dez? That's just stupid.

Combined with Gronk, should be pretty good.