Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
Pretty much everyone thinks the writing is on the wall for him to be a reliever.

There were a lot that thought that of Sale too. I would be disappointed if we gave up Danish in addition to Bassitt, one or the other makes sense to me along with another position player. Hopefully whoever the third person in the trade in is on the 40 man roster and opens a spot there for another move.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:11 AM)
There were a lot that thought that of Sale too. I would be disappointed if we gave up Danish in addition to Bassitt, one or the other makes sense to me along with another position player. Hopefully whoever the third person in the trade in is on the 40 man roster and opens a spot there for another move.

The big difference is that Sale didn't. Bassitt has said it multiple times.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
I think it does make one important point - that it takes an exceptionally good bullpen to make a large difference in a team's record.

While I agree and I think some people overstate the value, I do think it's worthwhile to mention that when considering contextual and leverage differences, relievers are going to be able to affect more games than others. Ultimately a 2 WAR reliever may affect 4 or 5 or 8 games, but it's impossible to know.

With the additions of Duke and Robertson, I think we can safely assume that the Sox gain 3 wins. When you consider who they are replacing - basically Downs/Snodgress and Belisario - you can add another win or 2 on top of that.

This was a significant move. I'm OK with the general structure of it for now.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)
While I agree and I think some people overstate the value, I do think it's worthwhile to mention that when considering contextual and leverage differences, relievers are going to be able to affect more games than others. Ultimately a 2 WAR reliever may affect 4 or 5 or 8 games, but it's impossible to know.

With the additions of Duke and Robertson, I think we can safely assume that the Sox gain 3 wins. When you consider who they are replacing - basically Downs/Snodgress and Belisario - you can add another win or 2 on top of that.

This was a significant move. I'm OK with the general structure of it for now.

Those kind of numbers make sense to me. It's the people who say "oh just fix the bullpen and we're a .500 team or better" who I'm disagreeing with.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)
Those kind of numbers make sense to me. It's the people who say "oh just fix the bullpen and we're a .500 team or better" who I'm disagreeing with.

That's definitely not true, but the Sox have made some moves that will help them win and will be making others too. LaRoche and Samardzija will help get that close and I think they'll be looking to add an outfielder and a couple more arms on top of that.

And interesting implication from this move would be that it opens up a 40-man roster spot. They were at 39 when they had to protect players as well. I still think Hahn will add someone via the Rule 5; whether they keep them is a different story.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
That's definitely not true, but the Sox have made some moves that will help them win and will be making others too. LaRoche and Samardzija will help get that close and I think they'll be looking to add an outfielder and a couple more arms on top of that.

And interesting implication from this move would be that it opens up a 40-man roster spot. They were at 39 when they had to protect players as well. I still think Hahn will add someone via the Rule 5; whether they keep them is a different story.

They just picked up that catcher from the Marlins who takes up a 40 man spot right?

You always say you're basically out of cash when you're really about 10% away from your projected maximum. Then you can still get the guy you want, but you might be able to convince him you can't give him what he wants.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)

David Robertson takes that extra spot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)
They just picked up that catcher from the Marlins who takes up a 40 man spot right?

They were at 39, prior to that. Brantly makes it 40.

We'll assume the TBD is a member of the 40-man, which is TBD, Semien, and Bassitt. That brings it to 37. Then you add Samardzija and Robertson, and voila, back to 39.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 07:43 AM)

We'll assume the TBD is a member of the 40-man, which is TBD, Semien, and Bassitt. That brings it to 37. Then you add Samardzija and Robertson, and voila, back to 39.

Susan Slusser didn't seem to think it was someone on the 40-man.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)

I am assuming it isn't.